Home Main Category General Firearms

Question on removing old enamel paint from firearm: what would you use?

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
I have an old rifle that was painted with enamel paint around 50 years ago. About half of the paint has worn off. What are some suggestions for something to get the rest off? I'm looking for something that won't make me cough up a lung, but is easy to use. I've got several of the old ones that require a mask with organics filters, but I'd rather not use them. Looking for something newer that's easier to use, and more organic life form friendly. What say ye?

BTW, this one is a labor of love, I have lots of time to get it stripped, and it won't be reblued or painted. There's a nice patina under the paint.
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Just strip all the wood and plastic off, if any, and dunk it in a container of Mineral Spirits with a snug-fitting lid. Come back in a couple of weeks, and the paint should rub off with a coarse-weave rag or a stiff bristle brush without any damage to the patina underneath. I like to use a wallpaper-soaking tank for barreled actions. It's just about the right length, and it doesn't waste a lot of solvent. Clamp a piece of plywood or Masonite over it with bungee cords to minimize evaporation.
    Jerry
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    BTW, this one is a labor of love, I have lots of time to get it stripped, and it won't be reblued or painted. There's a nice patina under the paint.

I hate to say it but I think you might say WAS?

What would walnut shells do for a blast media?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    I use Zip Strip, that stuff will even remove bedding compound!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb9L4pPvgcgmX7qVoVbHFUt2F79eCGvDSs8vy7AlMQ7-zu2wtMEQ

Get a 36 grit flap wheel.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    How about CLR?
    :tooth::tooth::tooth:
    Jerry
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Get some aircraft remover in a spray can form. It will bubble the paint off right before your eyes and you can wipe the remainder off.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Get some aircraft remover in a spray can form. It will bubble the paint off right before your eyes and you can wipe the remainder off.
    :that: The only thing that aircraft stripped won't take off, is totally cured and dried out epoxy based paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aircraft stripper:tissue: is Nasty stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sounds like a plan, Teach. I can pick up that stuff when I go get more lumber for the floor repairs this week. That soak time will allow me time to make the new metal folding stock for it. No enamel on the action, just the barrels and barrel block, and they are removable. Only wood is the two pistol grip panels,no plastic parts of any kind on it; it predates plastic. I may have given away enough info in this post for someone familiar with old guns to figure out what it is. It fires both .22 LR, and .44 Shotshells or 2" .410 shotshells. And that's all the hints I'm throwing out; I'll take pictures of it when it's back to it's normal self.

Calebib, if I can find some Zip Strip locally, I'll try that, too. This particular firearm has some nooks and crannies that may require special attention.

Ghostsniper1, don't know if that aircraft stripper is available locally. If I see it, I'll get a can.

NCFUBAR, I've worked about a third of the paint that was on the metal off with a plastic scraper. There's nice patina under the paint. Just like the day it was painted. The enamel is really old and slightly brittle, but some of it is stuck tighter than a tick on a dog's back and will need something to help it to turn loose.
    ― Douglas Adams
    You should be able to find Zip Strip at any Ace Hardware.
    Thanks for the info, Calebib; there's a few Ace Hardware stores locally. I'll drop by and get some.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I'm a little upset that you replied to everyone's helpful responses except mine.
    Buffco wrote: »
    I'm a little upset that you replied to everyone's helpful responses except mine.

Dude! It's a firearm, not a Euclid dump truck!:rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams

Ok, well... Sheesh. They make 120 grit flapwheels, too.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

He got them new tools and he is dying to try them out on a gun..................so ship it to Buffy for restoration, er scratch that...... preparation to repaint :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Buffco wrote: »
    Ok, well... Sheesh. They make 120 grit flapwheels, too.

This old gun is pert near TWICE as old as I am. I see anyone approaching it with an angle grinder, and there will be fur a flyin'!:guns::buff::tooth: Or feathers.:uhm:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    In that case, I would use the mildest thing you could find!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Get some aircraft remover

DSCN4927.jpg

Now that's a hell of a sandblaster! :tooth:
    Picked up a quart of Strypeeze paint remover and a gallon of mineral spirits this afternoon. One or the other, or both should get 'er done without harm to the metal.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Eli wrote: »
    DSCN4927.jpg

Mine is bigger than yours; it's genetics.:roll2:
    2-27-2008_014.jpg
    I sort of remember that picture being taken; sort of. It was a long time ago.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coopcoop Member Posts: 53 Member
    Is this a Game Getter?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    ...............it predates plastic. I may have given away enough info in this post for someone familiar with old guns to figure out what it is. It fires both .22 LR, and .44 Shotshells or 2" .410 shotshells. And that's all the hints I'm throwing out; I'll take pictures of it when it's back to it's normal self.

Its a Taurus purpose built SD weapon?????? WOW!!!!!!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Actually, I thought you once said:

DO NOT USE CLR!

Trust your Uncle Chris on this one.

And to all of you jackasses out there that are laughing, here is a big middle finger raised high. Tooth
    I'm just here for snark.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    DSCN4927.jpg

Roflmao..... Now thats a good one right there.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sounds like a plan, Teach. I can pick up that stuff when I go get more lumber for the floor repairs this week. That soak time will allow me time to make the new metal folding stock for it. No enamel on the action, just the barrels and barrel block, and they are removable. Only wood is the two pistol grip panels,no plastic parts of any kind on it; it predates plastic. I may have given away enough info in this post for someone familiar with old guns to figure out what it is. It fires both .22 LR, and .44 Shotshells or 2" .410 shotshells. And that's all the hints I'm throwing out; I'll take pictures of it when it's back to it's normal self.

Calebib, if I can find some Zip Strip locally, I'll try that, too. This particular firearm has some nooks and crannies that may require special attention.

Ghostsniper1, don't know if that aircraft stripper is available locally. If I see it, I'll get a can.

NCFUBAR, I've worked about a third of the paint that was on the metal off with a plastic scraper. There's nice patina under the paint. Just like the day it was painted. The enamel is really old and slightly brittle, but some of it is stuck tighter than a tick on a dog's back and will need something to help it to turn loose.

Sounds like one of them old Savage/others/Survival Combo guns o/u with shotgun and rimfire or centerfire barrels
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    coop wrote: »
    Is this a Game Getter?

Winner, winner, chikkin dinner! Marble's Game Getter Gun. Mine has 18" barrels, so none of that NFA baloney to mess with. Metal stock is broken, so I'm making a new one along with removing that nasty enamel paint.

Mine looks like this:
    it09_073.jpg
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    I hate you.

That is one gun that I would LOVE to have in my collection!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I hate you.

That is one gun that I would LOVE to have in my collection!

:spittingcoffee: It's been in MY collection for 52 years.:applause::tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
    cpj wrote: »
    That only works for bluing. So I have been told. But I have never done it, so it may or may not work.

I've never used CLR to remove bluing but I have used toilet bowl cleaner, that stuff bluing off right quick.
    calebib wrote: »
    I've never used CLR to remove bluing but I have used toilet bowl cleaner, that stuff bluing off right quick.

Calebib, CPJ is messin' with us. He made his Kel-Tec .380 a nice two tone on the slide with that stuff. The slide was rusted a little, and he dipped it in CLR. It removed the rust AND the bluing! Since the archives are no longer searchable, he's thinking that since we can't find the thread, it didn't happen.

I'm going to take it easy stripping that enamel off the Game Getter. Going to start on the front sight. If it removes ONLY the enamel, I'll proceed. If it removes bluing, I'll break out the heat gun and use that, or use my stainless steel tank to soak it in mineral spirits for a couple of weeks.
    ― Douglas Adams