In praise of the first line of defense

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,659 Senior Member
I was awoken a few min ago (4 am) by my dog barking out the front window. At first I figured there was a raccoon or other critter out there but she kept going and it was a loud threatening sounding bark, so I got up and took a peak out the window and didn't see anything. I looked out the peep hole and to my surprise saw a head bobbing back and forth at my front door!

I quickly retreated to my room, threw on some shorts and grabbed my 12ga, loaded the chamber and flicked off the safety. With my shotgun in my off hand down by my side behind the door I called through the door "can I help you"? The guy seemed startled and stared to retreat. I then cracked the door to get a better look and saw a drunk, confused, 20 something male in a nice polo shirt. I asked again if he needed any help, at this point he was down on the sidewalk and looked like he was texting someone so I closed and locked the door and went back to bed.

My best guess is he was looking for the "adventurous" young lady who lives in our basement. In the year and a half we've lived here she's had at least 3 steady boyfriends and countless male houseguests. In the end no real threat, but still having trouble falling back asleep due to the initial adrenaline rush. Sophie's getting a big treat in the morning!
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Sophie's getting a big treat in the morning!

Is that the name of the "adventurous" young lady who lives in your basement.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    A dog in the home is almost a requirement today. My 13 yr old yellow Lab has limited hearing and would probably sleep through
    a home invasion, but my wife's two imitation dog's provide us with very good first alert defense, but there bark is, shall we say,
    less than intimidating. Sophie deserves several treats!!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,659 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

LOL...no this is Sophie

HD011.jpg
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 470 Member
    I'm envious. My wife could not/would not tolerate a dog. Glad all was well.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
    gunwalker wrote: »
    I'm envious. My wife could not/would not tolerate a dog. Glad all was well.

Sounds like you need a new wife :tooth:

Seriously though I can't imagine not having one. The defensive aspects are just a nice bonus!
    -DoctorWho
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Chris, be real careful opening the door in a situation like this. Just my 2¢, I would have kept the door closed and locked, called the cops, kept my 12ga close, and sat back and watched.

Not for nothing, but knowing the area like I do.............
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Chris, be real careful opening the door in a situation like this. Just my 2¢, I would have kept the door closed and locked, called the cops, kept my 12ga close, and sat back and watched.

Not for nothing, but knowing the area like I do.............

Yeah I know it was a bit sketchy opening the door. I actually called through the door first and watched for his reaction. I only started opening the door after he reacted in a confused rather than aggressive manner and had already started retreating away from the door. My main reason for opening was so I could get a better look at him and better assess the situation.
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,336 Senior Member
    Just think- - - -if he had attacked you and you had to shoot him- - - -you could be the next Geroge Zimmerman! You left a safe place to confront somebody!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Thats about how my Rotti was before she passed away at 10 years old. She was so accustomed to the "usual" noises, that if she did start barking or growling in the middle of the night, it was no joke and you had better be grabbing the gun. I can remember that actually happening one night as me and the family slept at our old house which was wooded in the backyard. Woke up to Angel barking loud and very threatening. Once she saw I had awoke, she stopped barking and took off out of our bedroom towards the livingroom. I had already grabbed my .38spl revolver and started looking out the curtains to the front yard. I didn't see anything so decided to open the front door and take a peak. When I opened the front door, I heard somebody take off past the side of the house and into the woods. I was happy to yell "Hey you stupid @#!?, you come back and your getting shot." Closed and locked the door and went back to bed.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yeah I know it was a bit sketchy opening the door. I actually called through the door first and watched for his reaction. I only started opening the door after he reacted in a confused rather than aggressive manner and had already started retreating away from the door. My main reason for opening was so I could get a better look at him and better assess the situation.

Understood, but consider this: if I wanted to bust a house, I might go to the door and act confused until the occupant opened the door, at which point my comrades aside the door would bust in while you are focused on me, at which point we would own you.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Understood, but consider this: if I wanted to bust a house, I might go to the door and act confused until the occupant opened the door, at which point my comrades aside the door would bust in while you are focused on me, at which point we would own you.

Valid point. I did keep the screen door closed (not much of one, but still an obstacle), but still certainly could have had issues if that was indeed the plan.
    -DoctorWho
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,502 Senior Member
    As I've said before, as long as the BG's bring a bone.......

"Hey!..................... You guys are great."

So far, he only growls at the 80+ lady across the street shufflin to get her mail at the end of the drive......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,601 Senior Member
    Close call for the drunk guy, stupid is as stupid does.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,134 Senior Member
    Or drunk is as drunk does. I've never personally owned a dog, my wife did but they were useless in defense situations. More like the dog in the video.

I've come to the conclusion that there are dog people and then there are non-dog people. I kinda wish I loved dogs, but I don't. They're useful. Maybe if I lived in the country.....
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,601 Senior Member
    As far back as I can remember we always had a dog in the family. No matter what kind of day you've had , your dog is always glad to see you!