Cash Only......No Firearms Allowed

bklysenbklysen MemberPosts: 403 Member
Supposedly, those two signs were prominently displayed on the door at a south side restaurant this morning. Well, 3 masked thugs walked in and took the gift. We're a little new to concealed carry here in Wisc, but I gotta believe a business owner might have thought that one through a little more thoroughly. Is there a better way to tell criminals that you're completely unprepared to protect yourself, your customers, and your hard earned money?

I don't get it. :uhm:

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I guess they could have always put the money in a box, wrapped it and put a bow on top....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Let the punishment fit the crime !!! :jester:

They asked for it and they got it !!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    I find it hard to believe that people comply with those signs. If the gun is concealed how would they know and what is the penalty for non compliance anyway.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,259 Senior Member
    When Tennessee made it legal to CCW in restaurants where alcohol is served (in the eating area, not at the bar) lots of those places put up "no guns" signs. I've found that unless they've got somebody at the door with a metal detector, my gun doesn't jump out of its holster and run for the car when it sees the sign. If somebody does happen to discover that a customer is armed, all they can do is ask him/her to leave. Refusal to leave can be called criminal trespass, so we don't push the issue. A well concealed gun- - - -out of sight, out of mind!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Good to see Mr. Darwin still gets out to spend a day in the office from time to time.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I hope the BGs said thank you before they left.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Right now, there is an "upgrade" to the "no guns" signs churning through the state legislature....basically it says "if there is no security/metal detector at the door of the place that posted the sign, then the sign is invalid....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    Is there a better way to tell criminals that you're completely unprepared to protect yourself, your customers, and your hard earned money?

I thought those signs were for the customers.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    We have places that put up no gun signs, some very popular places; at least the last time someone was
    shot and killed at the one back home, they waited until they were in the parking lot.

But, they sell beer for on site consumption anyway so the sign is just for door dressing.

Saw this story up here in Cheeseheadland earlier and I suspect there are many other places that
    have such signs even though I haven't seen one yet.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    I have a very simple solution, any place that has a sign saying I can't carry there will not see My business plain and simple, I will respect those signs by not spending My money in those places, thankfully Washington and Oregon have no such signs...........
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I have a very simple solution, any place that has a sign saying I can't carry there will not see My business plain and simple, I will respect those signs by not spending My money in those places, thankfully Washington and Oregon have no such signs...........
    Good plan, not realistic in all states
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Sure it is, there is another store right down the road. After you buy there, call the first store and tell then how you had to drive past, and how much you spent.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    Right after the CCW law was passed in KS, the anti-gun/ccw groups were going around to businesses handing out "No Firearms" signs and telling the proprietors that the new law required they post them. It didn't take long for these folks to realize they had been hoodwinked (typically after long time customers told them they would no longer be doing business with them) and the signs began to come down.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Right now, there is an "upgrade" to the "no guns" signs churning through the state legislature....basically it says "if there is no security/metal detector at the door of the place that posted the sign, then the sign is invalid....

But they still won't know if you're carrying a Glock.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    But they still won't know if you're carrying a Glock.

:spittingcoffee:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Unfortunately, there actually is one on a nice little Italian restaurant in Kent that I really like. But, as has been said by others, what they don't know, they don't know.:wink:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that people comply with those signs. If the gun is concealed how would they know and what is the penalty for non compliance anyway.

Depends on state law. In Tx, if you enter a prohibited area that's specifically listed in the concealed carry law (bar, voting place, courthouse, school, sporting event, etc) it's a felony (the lowest category but still...) and if convicted you permanently lose your ccw. Same as being convicted of drunk driving if you're carrying.

However, private businesses (restaurants, stores, whatever) can also put up a "no gun" sign. If for some reason they find out you're carrying, they can only request that you leave the premises. If you don't of course they can call the cops and file trespass charges. But as you say, they have to find the gun first.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there actually is one on a nice little Italian restaurant in Kent that I really like. But, as has been said by others, what they don't know, they don't know.:wink:

This place has a no firearms sign ? in Washington ???

True story. I'll go by tomorrow and take a picture. I was shocked.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Was the sign also posted in Spanish? Perhaps the robbers couldn't read English?
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    No cure for STUPID.
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    I have never encountered a no gun sign at any restr. here in Massachusetts.If I ever do I will never return.

Stopped by the restaurant today - late, I know.... Anyway, the sign is GONE!! All that's left in the window is the tape residue from where the sign used to be.
    Dangit. double post.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    Stopped by the restaurant today - late, I know.... Anyway, the sign is GONE!!

Good to hear. :up:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,259 Senior Member
    "The horse is gone- - - - -better close the barn door!" Yep, makes sense to me!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    At work we, the sporting group, were laughing about this story and a liberal co-worker at the break table beside us kinda butted in asked what can be done about things like this. Without thinking I turned and said "start carrying". Well you'd have thought I said "shoot puppies" or something. Without missing a beat all of us started takling about the weather and how hot is was ... you can't fix sheep but we don't have to step in their caca.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    "you can't fix sheep but we don't have to step in their caca."

Very good !!!
  • ChevelleChevelle Banned Posts: 67 Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    At work we, the sporting group, were laughing about this story and a liberal co-worker at the break table beside us kinda butted in asked what can be done about things like this. Without thinking I turned and said "start carrying". Well you'd have thought I said "shoot puppies" or something. Without missing a beat all of us started takling about the weather and how hot is was ... you can't fix sheep but we don't have to step in their caca.

Some people just don't get it. Even my wife thinks carrying is dumb, and she is usually very conservative.
    Heck, I am on vacation for nine days 400 miles from home and she thinks I am crazy for carrying on vacation. I think if anything vacation in an unfamiliar area is an even better reason to carry.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Chevelle wrote: »
    Some people just don't get it. Even my wife thinks carrying is dumb, and she is usually very conservative.
    Heck, I am on vacation for nine days 400 miles from home and she thinks I am crazy for carrying on vacation. I think if anything vacation in an unfamiliar area is an even better reason to carry.

AMEN.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug