Home Main Category General Firearms

New Field Accessory: Leupold Golden Ring HD spotting scope kit

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
It was time to move up in the world.

Recently, I found out that I was drawn for an early season buck tag here in Nevada. Never having hunted mulies before and needing a jump on the season, I decided to take on a late spring scouting trip for mule deer here only to learn that I was sorely under-equipped in the optics department. My choices were to lug my gigantic, heavy Burris Landmark 20-60x spotter into the field, or do the best I could with a set of light, but magnification-limited Nikon Monarch ATB 12x binoculars and a tripod. I chose the latter and it wasn't pretty. While I could make out deer in the field, the distances they appeared at were incredible and even a 300mm telephoto lens couldn't give a hint of what was a doe and what was a buck, let alone the quality of a buck. For a description of what I'm talking about and pics, see this thread:

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?6770-Scouting-for-mule-deer-(or-quot-a-new-kind-of-eye-chart-exam-quot-)

The logic choice? Get something right for the job: a Leupold Golden Ring HD spotting scope kit. It comes with a hardsoft-sideftside "bat ear" field bag, tripod, and a digital camera adapter kit. Most importantly, the featured piece of hardware is a compact, waterproof, 12-40x spotting that features a fluorite lens and unbelievable clarity.

LeupoldGoldenRingHDspotterkit-case.jpg

LeupoldGoldenRingHDspotterkit-featurelist.jpg

LeupoldGoldenRingHDspotterkit-inside.jpg

LeupoldGoldenRingHDspotterkit-tripod.jpg

It's hard to describe just how good the optics are, but to give you a sense of it, know that the images included in this thread were shot using a fluorite camera lens and they are compressed in quality. I did take some pictures through the camera adapter, but they aren't worth posting. You lose far too much by way of the lens-to-lens translation. This feature is purely for documenting shots of game animals for reference, but is hardly an accurate depiction of what you see through the spotting scope.

I'll be taking this one to the range tomorrow to see how it does on identifying bullet holes on paper and then it will be back to the field for game spotting. Hopefully, I'll have the edge without the weight of a full-sized spotting scope.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Leupold spotting scope. Very nice:up::up::up::up:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,210 Senior Member
    Looks good Luis :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Thanks, boys. I should mention that I did not pay anywhere close to the amount most places are asking for this kit. I got a pro rate discount on the set orelse I probably coun't have afforded it. I wanted it badly, but not THAT badly.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,486 Senior Member
    Looks good, Luis.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,866 Senior Member
    I have used the Gold Ring for years then upgraded to the HD when it came out.
    Great hunting spotting scope.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    Very nice, should be able to count the ticks on the deer with that piece.

Sako
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Have been eyeballing that scope for a while now to replace my Leupy Sequoia . Something about the $$$ though
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Yeah, they ain't cheap. It took a specific requirement (this mule deer hunt) to get me to part with this kind of coin for a spotting scope. I know you can easily double what I paid with a Swarovski or Zeiss, but in this form factor (small and fairly powerful), the price was right given the performance. I got it out to the range this morning and the clarity at 40x let me see .243 bullet holes at 200 yards with ease. I tried at 300 yards, but the mirage got so bad by that point in the morning that I couldn't see them. I'll be starting at 300 next time and can hopefully see the holes at that distance, but for a 40x spotter, 200 yards was still very impressive.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    While surfing through the channels last night I watched part of an episode of Hawaii 5 O. Some guy was shooting a Remington? at a range and the spotter was using that same spotting scope. I didnt realise how small it was until I saw it next to a human.

Great buy Luis..........................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks, Alec - that compactness was an absolute must-have feature. I'm hiking in using a pack just shy of 5,000 cubic inches, but make no mistake: every bit of space counts. No way on Earth that Burris would've been feasible to pack in, and my camera-sized tripod was just a bonus PITA. Now, I have a smaller spotter AND a compact tripod to go with it. That's a huge savings and only about 5 lbs. total weight compared to nearly 4 lbs. for just the spotting scope with the Burris.