Home Main Category General Firearms

Got to shoot a .257 Roberts/Nosler bullets/Mosin Nagants

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
My friend I went to the range with brought out some nice old(er) rifles. One was chambered in .257 roberts. That's one sweet shootin cartridge. Another was a .243, I may have fired one in that caliber some years ago. At any rate it is also a fun easy to manage caliber. Both were older Remington's. He killed two pigs in NC recently with one shot apiece using Barnes bullets with the .257.

He also had a 30-06 single-shot, looked a little like a Ruger #1, but was a very sweet shooting Browning made rifle. :love::love:

We went to an off-post range. It is OK to shoot at, but not really kept up very good and not really conducive to "Group Shooting/Testing", not as many firing points and so forth. Still fun. :guns:

I tried those Nosler .224 competition bullets in my Rem 700 and they performed very well. I let some young man with good eyes and muscle control try it out. He put two holes touching and one flyer @ 100 yards. My groups were good too, but I need to settle down and do some serious testing my next visit on post.

The wartime Mosin Nagant I put the washer on and cork under the front of the barrel/hand-guard was a great improvement with no issues. Much better trigger pull, but some polishing is in store to get rid of some of the grittiness.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    .257 Roberts is everything a .243 wishes it were. It's just sweet. I can shoot regular .257 rounds in my Ackley Improved and when I do it's so smooth it's unbelieveable. not as smooth with the AI but the AI is still a fine round too. But having said all that, a .243 really doesn't have any flies in its soup either. They're both, .243 and .257 Bob, some of the best whitetail-hog guns ever devised by a human. In fact, I'd almost say they were divinely inspired.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Just excellent examples of how good the parent cases are!! 7X57 and .308!!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,225 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Yes, good parents, both!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Amen!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.