Home Main Category General Firearms

Sierra Bullets and Ramshot Hunter: a match made in heaven

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
TikkaT3LiteStainless243Wingroups-100grSierraProHunter-430grRamshotHunter.jpg

I don't know what it is, but for whatever reason, heavy-for-caliber Sierra bullets seem to love near-max charges of various Ramshot powders in my guns. This was a 3-shot group fired at 100 yards from my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .243 Win using a 100 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter. It measured .336" - not quite as tight as I got an 80 gr Barnes TTSX to shoot out of the same gun, but significantly higher in BC and overall weight. That's a plus when you have to go afield for critters like mule deer. The 43.0 gr of Ramshot Hunter I used to powder this chunk of lead is exactly .1 gr below book max, pushing the bullet to an average velocity of 3,003 fps. Looks like I have my new .243 hunting load. :applause:
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,604 Senior Member
    :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    You know....you've got a 6mm Rem. You could pack it full of H4350, top it with a 95 NBT, and get ~3,300 fps. And at longer range when the velocity has bled off a bit, the NBT still turns into a very deadly mushroom. Last years antegoat was ~440 yards out. Except for knocking it dead as a brick, I don't think the NBT even knew it encountered anything.

Just sayin'.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    You know....you've got a 6mm Rem. You could pack it full of H4350, top it with a 95 NBT, and get ~3,300 fps. And at longer range when the velocity has bled off a bit, the NBT still turns into a very deadly mushroom. Last years antegoat was ~440 yards out. Except for knocking it dead as a brick, I don't think the NBT even knew it encountered anything.

Just sayin'.

Mike

I thought about that...but then I thought about carrying a 16lb. rifle through the mountains with a 50lb. pack and nearly fainted at the prospect. The nice thing about this .243 Tikka T3 is that it is so danged light, even with a scope. Truth be told, the H4350 I tried wasnt doing too hot and was closer to 2" out of this gun. The 90 gr. NBT/Ramshot Big Game load I had ready to go for this rifle was pushing up around 3,100 fps and holding about .75"-.85" groups - well within repectable hunting accuracy and still getting good velocity. But, then I got the tinkering bug and all hell broke loose. Now, I've cut my group size in half and stayed above the 3,000 fps line. So many variables, but it seem this rifle likes the heavier bullets and that makes sense when you look at the twist rates that the .243 Win was designed to utilize.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    Yeah, I see your point, for sure. I'll lug my 16 lb 6mm on a goat chase, but up in the mountains playing peekaboo.....forget it. My .270 is the lightest rig I own, so it goes on those kind of trips.

You're doing the right thing. Just had to rag you a little bit.....:wink:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:

GREAT shooting btw. Don't change a THING.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Yeah, I see your point, for sure. I'll lug my 16 lb 6mm on a goat chase, but up in the mountains playing peekaboo.....forget it. My .270 is the lightest rig I own, so it goes on those kind of trips.

You're doing the right thing. Just had to rag you a little bit.....:wink:

Mike

I know, I know. :tooth: You certainly have a better appreciation that I do for the toll the mountains take on you after just a short bit. I've shaved 13 lbs. off of my body weight so far (with a goal of 20 lbs.) to make this hunt remotely tolerable. I gotta try to do the same with my gear.
    Jeeper wrote: »
    :worthy::worthy::worthy:

GREAT shooting btw. Don't change a THING.

Luis

Thank you, sir! The only thing about this particular Pro Hunter bullet that had me a little worried is the construction is a bit more stout than Sierra's GameKing offering. Shooting at longer distances with a more heavily constructed bullet (same jacket as the GameKing, but with a longer bearing surface for more controlled expansion) had me thinking it might go dagger on me, but the Sierra bullet tech I spoke with today told me that if I was getting this kind of accuracy, it's simply not worth giving it up for the sake of somewhat more rapid downrange expansion. He stated to simply go with what I had and aim for something equally stout, like a shoulder or high spine spot. Even at 300+ yards, you'd expect that to trigger expansion.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,239 Senior Member
    :cool2: :up: :up:

I too am a 6MMR fan. But Good Golly Miss Molly! Can't argue with performance like this.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,371 Senior Member
    Nice work. Makes me think it's time to drag out the 243 and do some new work with your recipe.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    Nice work. Makes me think it's time to drag out the 243 and do some new work with your recipe.

Sako
    You know, I'd be interested to see how you do with it in your gun. This is a strange little rifle I have here in that none of the recipes I was personally given from others worked out terribly well in it. I would like to know if mine works well in somone else's gun. Just be very careful and work up to that 43.0 charge. That is very high up on the load table for this powder and could show pressure signs. The previous load I tried with Big Game did, in fact, blow a primer out of the pocket a fair amount below book max, hence why I immediately ceased work with that load/powder and moved over to working something up with Hunter instead.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,371 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    You know, I'd be interested to see how you do with it in your gun. This is a strange little rifle I have here in that none of the recipes I was personally given from others worked out terribly well in it. I would like to know if mine works well in somone else's gun. Just be very careful and work up to that 43.0 charge. That is very high up on the load table for this powder and could show pressure signs. The previous load I tried with Big Game did, in fact, blow a primer out of the pocket a fair amount below book max, hence why I immediately ceased work with that load/powder and moved over to working something up with Hunter instead.

Goes without saying. I generally start around mid range of the published data and work up from there. My rifle, a first generation Ruger 77MkII hbvt has never really liked heavy bullets but that could be powder related. Being old school so to speak, I have never ventured away from IMR powders. Would love to see this rifle do something other than punch holes in paper( thinking goats again one of these days) so if I can get a heavier bullet to shoot well with a new powder and bullet, then a range trip is in order.

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    TikkaT3LiteStainless243Wingroups-100grSierraProHunter-430grRamshotHunter.jpg

I don't know what it is, but for whatever reason, heavy-for-caliber Sierra bullets seem to love near-max charges of various Ramshot powders in my guns. This was a 3-shot group fired at 100 yards from my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .243 Win using a 100 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter. It measured .336" - not quite as tight as I got an 80 gr Barnes TTSX to shoot out of the same gun, but significantly higher in BC and overall weight. That's a plus when you have to go afield for critters like mule deer. The 43.0 gr of Ramshot Hunter I used to powder this chunk of lead is exactly .1 gr below book max, pushing the bullet to an average velocity of 3,003 fps. Looks like I have my new .243 hunting load. :applause:[/QUOTE

Most all rifles I have owned loved Sierra bullets with any powder. I've shot them all, Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, and have had luck with all of them if I practice solid reloading procedures, but I have had better overall accuracy with Sierra bullets than any of the rest.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Very Nice SixGun Very nice.. I too have a .243
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,999 Senior Member
    Luis, very nice! Sierra bullets are seriously accurate in most of my rifles.

Are you out west somewhere? I know you're not in Nebraska anymore.

Bellcat
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain