Home Main Category General Firearms

Bullets

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
OK, bullets came from Midway and Graf & Sons today, I ordered Sunday.

For my .303 Enfield and Mosin Nagants I ordered 300# .3105 174 grain FMJs. I Miked a few samples out and they all read: .3105 the correct diameter. The middle box looked ''Blemished" discoloration (hard to tell from pic), but otherwise OK. Outer two boxes looked brand new like regular stocked bullets.

This should keep me (a reloading fool) busy fer awhile :guns::tooth:

From Graf & Sons some privi partizan bullets for my 8mm Mauser 175 grain PSPBT (.323 dia)
BTW, the bag label in pic says .322 diameter on these, but they Mike out @ the proper .323

And some 8mm (.330 dia) 208 grain FMJBT for my M-95 8X56R Steyr-Mannlicer rifles.

Plus, 300 Hornady 55 grain FMJs for my Ruger Ranch Rifle/general purpose plinkers.

IMG-20120627-00008.jpg

IMG-20120627-00009.jpg

IMG-20120627-00010.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    I need to order some of those 8MM's, for the 8X52R.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I need to order some of those 8MM's, for the 8X52R.

Is that for a Siamese Mauser? Which diameter do they shoot?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Looks like ya gonna be busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Is that for a Siamese Mauser? Which diameter do they shoot?

Yes, Siamese Mauser. It's shoots the .323, but the original load called for a 181 grain bullet, the 175 is closest to original that's available. I finally got some ammo for it, plus dies. After I changed the front sight, it shoots dead on, the original sight was two feet high at 50 yards. I think I'm loading 38 grains 0f 4064, haven't chronied it yet, probably won't be at the range much more this summer due to the heat and I'll be heading to Wisconsin in a few weeks.
    Going up north to beat the heat huh. It's roasting outside here in Texas today, I'll take the FLA heat and humidity any-day!

I've found I have to be careful when reloading and even chambering a round in gun on the range with so many calibers that can easily be mistaken for each other. Eyeballing a .330 or .323 don't cut the mustard. I try and clearly mark the bullets when reloading, Mike them out if I ain't sure and keep the loaded ammo separate in clearly marked boxes.

Even then I caught myself wondering why a cartridge wouldn't chamber on the range until it finally dawned on me I was trying to use the wrong caliber ammo than for the gun I was intending to fire.....:bang:

But I ain't blown up any guns or myself yet:tooth: Someone is looking out for me :angel2: in spite of myself in this world.:tooth:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Has anybody ever tried to chamber an 8MM Mauser round in a .30-06? I've got a couple of rifles that will actually let the bolt close!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Has anybody ever tried to chamber an 8MM Mauser round in a .30-06? I've got a couple of rifles that will actually let the bolt close!
    Jerry

If the ammunition is the fmj military ammo the 8mm(8 x 57) will feed into most 30-06 rifles. A few instances of the accidental firing of 8mm in a 30-06 have been recorded. Only one instance I remember reading about caused a Kaboom of the action, though.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Jerry

That would be a .323 diameter bullet being forced down a barrel made for .308 :yikes: I reckon if it made it without any damage, it sure would leave some copper fouling in the bore :tooth:
    Jerry

Can't say that I have Teach, and besides I wouldn't want to do that personally. I will tell ya what I did see one time, and thank God knowone got hurt. I saw the aftermath of a .41 mag. after it was fired in a .44 mag revolver, or so says the person who showed me the case of the .41mag. To this day I still:uhm:???????????? about that.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Going up north to beat the heat huh. It's roasting outside here in Texas today, I'll take the FLA heat and humidity any-day!

I've found I have to be careful when reloading and even chambering a round in gun on the range with so many calibers that can easily be mistaken for each other. Eyeballing a .330 or .323 don't cut the mustard. I try and clearly mark the bullets when reloading, Mike them out if I ain't sure and keep the loaded ammo separate in clearly marked boxes.

Even then I caught myself wondering why a cartridge wouldn't chamber on the range until it finally dawned on me I was trying to use the wrong caliber ammo than for the gun I was intending to fire.....:bang:

But I ain't blown up any guns or myself yet:tooth: Someone is looking out for me :angel2: in spite of myself in this world.:tooth:

That's good Bigchief, thats good that you are always aware of a mishap.... I remember when I bought my first .308. A Savage model 99 lever two magazines, I wish I still had that rifle..... Anyway the thing is that I had heard from what Teach refers to as "Self-appointed Experts" that few different type cartridges could be fired in a .308, for example the 7.62 nato, the 7.62x 39 and 7.62 this and that and this and that and:yawn::yawn::blah::blah: This was way back before the G & A board was even here, heck at that time most of us didn't have computers or the net. Anyway I found a very Knowledgeable retired gunsmith in the town I was living and he put me wise about .308 rifles....... As a matter of fact after I shot some factory loads through my rifle I took him the cases and he reloaded some .308 for me... They shot good.