General chat: good current TV dramas

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
For no other reason than a waste of electrons, what current TV dramas do you enjoy?

Recently we talked about "Burn Notice" which is into its new season (5?). So far, I think, the eps have been entertaining. Nothing amazing but okay. The show's formula is set now, and it's pretty good. Bruce Campbell can do no wrong, and Gabrielle Anwar is gorgeous.

We've not mentioned the BBC show "Spooks" (or "MI-5" here in the US). This has, I think, been a consistently good drama, sharp and well written, excellent characters. This season (their last) we've got the still lovely (albeit a bit older) Alice Krige, whose Wiki pic does not do her justice. She starred in the supernatural movie "Ghost Story" as the seductive sexy spirit, played the **** in the Stevie King "Skinwalkers", and was of course the Borg Queen in Trek's First Contact. Who can forget that?

Anyway, regardless of Alice Krige, "MI-5" is a top show.

Among the BBC offerings, I've also liked "Whitechapel".

Soon we'll have the new season of Sons of Anarchy (Ron Perlman can also do no wrong), and I hope the show will be as good as it was last season.

The new "Longmire" is okay, not perfect but way better than most other shows.

"Covert Affairs" opens in July, and it's been a consistently entertaining action show. And Piper Perabo (her real name) is yummy.

You may think that some of my enjoyment of assorted shows is partially based on the lovely female stars. You're totally correct. Teach (Jerry) has in the past agreed with my assessment of the appeal.

"Breaking Bad" has no gorgeous females but it's a fun watch. So there.

"regular" season shows that I find entertaining include "The Mentalist", not a great cop show but fun, just from the sarcastically written script.

I wish "Glades" was better. Sigh.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Good current TV dramas. Oxymoron, yes
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,136 Senior Member
    I just started watching Glades and rather enjoy it, I find it humorus, and entertaining. Longmire isn't bad, better than anything else on Sunday nights. Never could get into Burn Notice or Breaking Bad, Mentalists MEH, don't watch it.
    British stuff needs subtitles!!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »

You must lean to sprachen la inglese, otherwise you will never get on in the big wide monde. :roll2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

:qUOTE=shush;123475]You must lean to sprachen la inglese, otherwise you will never get on in the big wide monde. :roll2:[/QUOTE]

Subtitles please!!:usa::rotflmao:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,269 Senior Member
    Days of our Lives and All My Children are the top of the heap
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,083 Senior Member
    Castle. Glad it keeps getting renewed each season, but after this seasons finale, hard to tell which direction the show is gonna go in...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Ruger 10/22, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Subtitles please!!:usa::rotflmao:

The other option is to turn the tv volume up high,echoing the volume of the typical Brit abroad.:jester:
    This method has never failed me, mind you having a bilingual wife in tow helps also.

PS
    A very good police drama,set in WW2,is Foyles War.
    http://www.foyleswar.com/

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush wrote: »
    The other option is to turn the tv volume up high,echoing the volume of the typical Brit abroad.:jester:
    This method has never failed me, mind you having a bilingual wife in tow helps also.

PS
    A very good police drama,set in WW2,is Foyles War.
    http://www.foyleswar.com/

The wife is bilingual, but I don't think Spanglish will help!! She has the same problem I do!!:tooth:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    For no other reason than a waste of electrons, what current TV dramas do you enjoy?

I've got nothing.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Longmire was OK for the first couple of episodes, but I got tired of the Sheriff's one-dimentional personality. Otherwise, Rizzoli & Iles, Falling Skies, Blue Bloods and Justified are on our weekly list.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    Has anybody watched XIII which is on the REELZ channel 238 on Direct TV. According to my Direct TV guide a 1 hr. pilot show is on tonight from 8:00- 9:00 P.M. EDT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII:_The_Series

See Upcoming schedule here http://www.showcase.ca/ontv/episodedetails.aspx?Title_Id=265062&Root_Title_Id=265070
    Lots of action and difficult to determine who the good guys are and the corrupt ones.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I just started watching Glades and rather enjoy it, I find it humorus, and entertaining. Longmire isn't bad, better than anything else on Sunday nights. Never could get into Burn Notice or Breaking Bad, Mentalists MEH, don't watch it.

Glades is okay I suppose but I wish the scripts were a tad sharper. I know the show's supposed to be a somewhat humorous satire rather than realistic copshop stuff, but still, the satire is a notch too campy.

Mentalist isn't realistic either --- nor does it try to be --- but the script is a lot more clever, imo.

In "Spooks" (or MI-5 in the States), the English is the King's which makes it fairly okay to understand. Some Brit shows lapse into fluent East End or Cockney and you do need subtitles. What was it Churchill said about the US and Britain? "Two great natiions separated by a common language."

I generally agree with Buford about the oxymoron but there are a few out there...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    My favorite show right now will probably cost me a bundle of "Man Card" points, it is "So You Think You Can Dance".

Of course "Burn Notice", "Hawaii Five-0 and "Longmire" are a must watch considering what else is there to see, still like "Blue Bloods" maybe they got better writers or cracked the whip, it has actually gotten better.

Guilty pleasures are "America's got Talent", I wonder how many downers they force Howard Stern to take as he has become the lamest guy in television...I like cooking a lot so I will watch "Mater Chef" and "Around the world in 80 Plates" if time permits, "American Iron Chef" is a must see so "Diners, Drives and Dives when they have new episodes, that has to be the most repeated show on TV.

Not a huge fan of comedies but "Weeds" and "Episodes" start today and those I do watch, I do not miss ever as well "The Big Bang Theory", "Wilfred" and "Louie", on BBC they play the "Graham Norton Show" which I like a lot. "Thorchwood" came to an end so that is one I miss, well the main female character at least.

"Newsroom" HBO's latest series started last Sunday, had bad reviews and perhaps that the show started by the main character's explaining why the US is no longer the greatest place in the planet might have something to do with that, I kinda agree with what he had to say and liked the show, the truth is just too hard to handle for some folks and this is gonna be our undoing, time to wake up and smell the coffee!

Saw the first episode of the "remake" of "XIII" on REELZ, no clue on why they remade that particular "spy?" show, not awful but not great and the pilot had what must be the worst choreographed fight scene EVER.

SPOILER ALERT!

The main guy in "XIII" seems to be not bothered by being shot with what seemed to be a high powered rifle!

SPOILER part over...read on

Others eagerly waiting to return are "Southland", "Covert Affairs", "Project Runaway", "Sons of Anarchy" and the last seasons of "The Closer" and "In Plain Sight" but no clue if those will materialize, of course there are more like "Justified" but those are long ways away.

Keifer's new show "Touch" is pretty good, some episodes are okay but some are simply awesome so that is another worth a wait.

"Awake" was a very good detective/mystery ONE season long show you might want to look up, it is available in HULU, no clue if it was to last longer or cut short at the one season mark but at least they finished telling "an entire story" and did not let those that watched it religiously hanging out as they have done with so many shows.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    You mention some good shows, Bruchi, and then some.... er.... well...

When it became general knowledge that actor Jim Parsons of "Big Bang" (the tall thin guy) was actually gay, wow, what a surprise! Coulda knocked me over with a feather.. right.

The show features really, really smart guys acting dumb. Does anyone agree with me -- I've met some major smart genius level people, and they're all very regular people, do normal stuff like go to clubs and play sports and are in rock bands and such, fun to hang with. It's the "almost" genius people who are the stereotype nerds in my experience. Anyway...

TV comedies mostly leave me. If the comedy is supposed to be laughable funny, the jokes are simply old Borscht Belt slapstick retooled, and if the comedy is supposed to be sarcastic, it's simply not that good. They keep me running over and playing my Monty Python DVDs for some genuine laugh. Or my Faulty Towers set.

I have to admit that my liking for Glades picked up considerably with last night's episode, mainly due to the Food Truck gal (actress is Dichen Lachman), part Tibetain, part Aussie. Now that's a stunningly gorgeous gal! Sigh.

Southland is easily the best "ensemble cop" show in a long time. BlueBloods is pretty good but at times it layers on the religion a bit too much. Hint: Not ALL cops are Irish Roman Catholic and sometimes the "advice from Fr. Kelly" sequences wear thin. Good show overall however.

I'll have to do a catch-up on XIII because I had no idea what it was about. I'd somehow figured it for a post-apolycalypse show which I cannot stand. It being a spy show, I'll try it out.

All this is based on, of course, a general ranking of TV shows overall. Only rarely do you get a genuinely fine drama so there are spurts and flicks of good stuff that you pick and choose from. That's why God made the Off switch, eh?

Regarding "talent" reality shows, dance or singing or whatever, zzzzz. I've been involved in classical music much of my life, have sung opera professionally plus musicals and such, and therefore my tolerance for bad singers is very low.

Same for dancers. I was married to a ballet dancer. No small thing, that. She studied at the National Ballet of Canada on full scholarship under Eric Bruhn and his wife, then danced in the Corps d'Ballet at San Francisco Ballet. Not too shabby. And I've known professional ballet and classical dancers for many years (dated some of the gals).

My analogy is this: Imagine a new reality show "So you think you can Shoot" and the contestants each week try to shoot rifles, shotguns, handguns under various situations -- tactical, regular target, etc. Most of these people are so bad that they can barely even hold a firearm without shooting themselves, they rarely hit the targets, almost by luck. Awful shooters. But each week the audience screams and applauds and the contestants keep returning, finally the winner is still awful but not as bad as the others.

That is EXACTLY what these singing or dancing shows seem to me. None of the singers can hit a note, have no good breath control, no pitch, no tone. Yet they win. The dancers lack balance, lift, no classic form. etc etc

The "shooter" analogy is something all of you can appreciate. We all gripe about gun mistakes on TV dramas... but imagine a show that actually rewards bad shooting? That's what I hear and see on these reality talent shows.

End of rant.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Immediatley following "Burn Notice" is "Suits". It's a lawyer show. My wife was a paralegal for 8 years, so she likes it for that reason. I have reasons of my own for watching it. :)

My wife was a "Dallas" addict in its first run, and nothing has changed now that it's a new series with new actors. The plot is a twisted and crooked as a barrlel full of snakes, but she loves it, so I watch it. All in all, I consider it tolerable at best.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    X Files. I guess I'm waay behind the times.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Guess different strokes...

Favorite "reality/contest" show is "Project Runaway", after being a "fashion/lifestyles" photographer for 3 decades that is an area I know somethnig about, sure there is a lot of "drama" and the contestants in great part are chosen for how much of that 'drama" they can bring to the plate but at least the judges KNOW what they are talking about and they allow older folks that have not given up on their dream participate which I see as a very positive and real thing, talent and desire is not just proprietary of young folks and it sends the message that it takes hard work and perseverance to do stuff, then every once in a while someone with actual talent comes around and that is worth watching, hard to believe but not everyone in that industry or attracted to it is gay, lots are of course but that leaves a lot of beautiful unattached models for the rest of us and that is a very welcomed bonus.

I tough that the contestants of "So You Think You Can Dance" had actual talent and that the judges where people that actually KNEW what they where talking about, so for the choreographers, I could be wrong of course, at any rate I do enjoy watching folks dance, it is to me the most basic and human form of expression.

i forgot to include another "guilty pleasure' it is "Real Housewives on New York, now the ones form the other cities you need to put a gun to my head to force me to watch but the New York one I watch mostly because I love the city and it is greatly featured in the show, also it is fun to watch the 'train wrecks" this women lay at and to wonder why would anyone in that tax bracket would allow to be followed around with a camera!

Good TV?

Not necessarily but it is "entertaining".
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    X Files. I guess I'm waay behind the times.

A terrific show, of course. But not current unless you know something I don't.

Like you say, Bruch, different strokes.

I do understand the idea of competition but I'm not gonna watch a terrible NFL game even though I like NFL games in general. Or am I gonna sit through a bad movie because I like good movies.

Most of the dancers (and I've only watched a little of the show -- like fingernails on a blackboard to me) are just not very good. And I'm not just talking about classical ballet. I enjoy modern dance too. But as I see it, most of the dancers are typical of olympic floor exercise competition. All flash, no art.

Same for the singer shows. Most of them have way to much melisma ("wobbly singing") and are usually about a half-tone flat. Before I learned to keep my notes, my voice teacher would hear me, then hit the piano key repeatedly "G sharp! G sharp! G sharp!" he'd insist.

These dancers or singers really have no place in large scale competition until they learn their craft.

But on my part, I simply cannot bring myself to watch the shows, same as I won't watch a bad movie just because it's there. I PPV'd "Cowboys and Aliens" against my better judgment and clicked off about halfway through. One of the worst new movies I've ever seen. It cost me, like, 4 bucks, and I was **** out of at least five! And even though I'd paid for the damn thing I couldn't bear it.

Anyway, your choice, your likes, no harm no foul.

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    I don't watch much tv at all but Lizard Lick Towing has got to be the best current show going. How can you not be amused watching that show????

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    Most of you know that I write book reviews for a mystery ezine. I usually take a "genre" approach when doing reviews. That is, I review the book within the general scope of comparing it to other mysteries.

None of these books is great literature. I don't think that Faulkner or Hemingway need to be concerned. But that doesn't matter -- I review the books within their own "universe" of mystery novels. A book doesn't have to be world-shaking literature to be a terrific mystery thriller.

Same for TV shows. None of them can compare with a major motion picture release. But in their own genre, they can be entertaining (and free, which helps). Which is why I can enjoy shows like "Mentalist" without judging it too harshly. It's "okay" for a bit of diversion, a few smiles at the clever script, and so on.

Same for most of the TV dramas I watch. Immortal television? Nope. Destined for greatness? Naw. Just acceptable and reasonable free entertainment for a Tuesday evening is all I ask.

If a show goes too much overboard with the goofy plots or effects (like "Bones") I get bored. Despite having two of the most lovely gals on TV, Deschanel and Conlin.

It's a fine line, as I see it. We tolerate typical Hollywood errors and such just so they don't become epidemic (or endemic I guess). For example, we're "gun nuts" so we are highly critical with gun errors. Which is fine, so long as we don't become like a bunch of Trekkies ("I highly object to how Zefram Cochrane was portrayed in First Contact -- according to TOS episode #24, he was a refined scientist... etc") Nitpicking in other words.

So I'll gladly watch Burn Notice, SOA, Breaking Bad, Southland, Mentalist, BlueBloods, Justified, and so on, and consider myself entertained for the most part.

Can't stand reality shows. Even the best of them, Mythbusters, has become too drawn out.

Correct technique is a VERY important part of art but it is not all.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    Personally, I think the meaning of the word 'art' has been misused so much that it has little meaning for average folks. I consider a person to have created 'art' if he manages to create something unusual that appeals to people from all stations in life. Genuine beauty is something that anyone can appreciate without having to be instructed in what to look for. It's much the same for writing, acting, singing, or whatever a person creates or lends his interpretation to, for the pleasure of complete strangers. Something that only appeals to those who consider themselves to be intellectually enlightened is usually crap, in my estimation.
    Interesting comment, bis.

There are things however that may be popular because of playing to the lowest common denominator. Look at, for example, Thomas Kinkade "paintings" which are all done via assignment lists in some sort of "starving artist" facility. Popular but junk art.

High grossing movies that run up a big profit via foreign distribution (mostly Asian) that are filled with car crashes and giant robots and such, all SFX, no acting or script or drama, just flash. Junk.

I will agree about snob appeal however. Some artistic snobs get all irritated at everyday people who don't see the "perfection" of some, er, artist who paints with dog feces.

Vincent was unknown all his life, only sold 2-3 paintings. I remember a few years ago, a big art tour from NYC was in town and I got to see Van Gogh, Pollock, Matisse, all sorts. And "The Starry Night" was there, the real painting. I sat on this bench and stared at the painting for about a half hour. True greatness.

For the most part, great artists were popular in their day. Shakespeare's plays packed in standing room only shows, "groundlings" who were common folks that waiting in line to see his latest. Beethoven, Mozart, Puccini, Verdi were all hugely popular with "regular" people. Dickens was a big commercial hit. And so on. Some great artists were popular, some not.

But whether an artist (musician, actor, painter, composer, etc) is very popular isn't the most perfect measure of greatness. And some artists may have to wait for their turn in the spotlight, too. Popular tastes change.

Appreciating genuine beauty without needing instruction? Maybe. In most cases, sure. In some cases, it's good to have a bit of "heads up" info to help in the appreciation. Especially for more "complex" things. When seeing a modern ballet, or Hamlet, or a Verdi opera, a little background knowledge is fine. But if the beauty of the piece isn't visible, regardless, then it's probably not beautiful.

But mostly I'll agree with you about "snob appeal" vs genuine art. The good stuff doesn't require a critic's opinion to make it good.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've always been more interested in photographic art than paint & canvas. My inspirations are Ansel Adams, Steiglitz, Man Ray, others of their ilk. To be able to capture beauty on film (or pixels, nowadays), has always fed my artistic side.

Besides, I'm one of those guys who can't draw a cow to save my life.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member