Home Main Category General Firearms

New Personal Best @ 1000 yards

shootershooter Senior MemberPosts: 1,186 Senior Member
I was a little reluctant to post this when I saw what Ernie posted earlier this week that he did with his custom specialty pistol but I'm still proud of this group. My rifle weighs slightly less than the 15# weight limit for the "Factory Gun" class.

I have the current "factory gun" class record with this group at the new Missouri range and it's also my personal best with this Savage. There have only been four matches so far this year and conditions Saturday were nearly ideal. The winds are usually best for the morning matches and during the 6 minute sighter period, things really felt good.

We sight in on 5 clay pigeons that are lying on the bank/berm below the target stand that holds the large paper target. Once I adjusted my scope for the condition, I proceeded to break 4 of the 5 clay birds in 7 shots. I have never broken 4 of the 5 birds before. Unfortunately, when the sighter period ends your record period starts immediately and shooters have to crank up the front rest to re-position the rifle to shoot at the paper target that looms above and slightly behind where I'd just broken the birds. I've not yet mastered the technique of re-positioning the rifle with proper front rest adjustment and not having POI change slightly! Oh well, I'm learning all the time.

Factory gun class allows very little customization to a stock factory rifle. You can have it bedded, action trued and you can add a muzzle brake, since we sight in on clay pigeons and you must recover from recoil in about 1.5 seconds to see your bullet impacts. I added a Vais muzzle brake to mine. Other than that, your gun has to have a factory action, barrel and stock. You also must use the factory trigger. My rifle is "box stock" except for the brake.

brgroup.jpg
There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    Nice shootin' shooter! :beer:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Great shooting! And we all look like amateurs printing patterns and not groups, when compared to Ernie lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    Nice work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    impressive :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,877 Senior Member
    Excellent.
    Personal bests are always special.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    Nice, I never shot beyond 500 yds.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,494 Senior Member
    shooter wrote: »

shooters have to crank up the front rest to re-position the rifle to shoot at the paper target that looms above and slightly behind where I'd just broken the birds. I've not yet mastered the technique of re-positioning the rifle with proper front rest adjustment and not having POI change slightly! Oh well, I'm learning all the time.

And that is tough, indeed. The BR matches I shot were at the mere distance of 100 yards. Our sighter targets were located a couple feet below our record targets. Just that little change in angle at such a meager distance would affect POI by as much as a quarter-inch, depending on the lighting conditions. I never did figure out how to compensate exactly for this. I'd get as close as I could on my sighter, and then hope for the best when I started on the record target. Sometimes I was golden. As often, though, that first shot (or second and third, LOL) would blow the whole match.

Great shooting, anyway!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

One day I'll move up to one of those $700-$1000 front rests and that might help me with the transition from sighters to record target. For now, I'm watching the "big boys" and taking notes!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    Stock design and the rest make a big difference.
    I wouldn't have the NEO and the MAX rests myself if I wasn't the dealer for them.
    You are doing great-look forward to more good groups.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,190 Senior Member
    My best at 1000 yards would most likely leave the target blank-- better than a one hole group-- a no hole group! You guys shooting at those distances amaze me. That is an excellent looking group.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    My best at 1000 yards would most likely leave the target blank-- better than a one hole group-- a no hole group! You guys shooting at those distances amaze me. That is an excellent looking group.

I have many friends to learn from, including Al Forbes from Wisconsin. This is what he did last weekend!

Al Forbes, came down to put on another shooting clinic. He had another group under 3" with his light gun. Here's a photo. 2.369" with his Dasher. He also shoots a 6 Dasher in heavy gun class and posted a 99-3x and a 98-3x for the morning and afternoon matches. I took pix of all three targets as I'd not seen that kind of consistency before! Al was in the two's last month as well.

The last full season we had at Pella, he set the IBS national record for 6 match aggregate score in Light Gun class.

Here's his Light Gun group.

als2369.jpg

The two Heavy gun groups have 10 shots each, light gun & factory gun classes only have to put 5 shots on the target.

heavygun98.jpg

alheavygun99.jpg
    Superb!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"