What to do when out numbered and/or out gunned

124»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Don't forget the duct tape!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't forget the duct tape!
    Jerry

Thanks Jerry!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    "Okay, you're falling off a 600 foot cliff. What do you do?"

I really like how you put a clear perspective to this!
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    I really like how you put a clear perspective to this!

Point I was trying to make is that it's easy to come up with the Kobyashi Moru No-Win Scenario, paint the initial conditions such that you've got no way out, then ask what you'd do. Grab your ankles might be the reply in that case. Artificial dilemmas like the old comic writers used to put Superman in, having to save either Jimmy Olson or Lois Lane but not both, because they created an invulnerable character so that gets boring quick.

Some of the posts here kind of back us into the corner immediately in that way, and yeah, if there's no way out, then that's QED.

Of course the initial posting didn't say it that way, was more generalized. My opinion was that IF you've got a chance for armed response that doesn't instantly get you shot, then yes, do it. Fight back and don't submit. That's all I was saying in the "cliff falling" statement. But I guess you know that.

Now as for Chevelle, I'd be skeered plenty were he to come my way. He's one mighty tough dude. And he's survived some major tough situations, too. A tip of the ol' cap to him for that. Whew.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Not enough information for me, personally. It all depends on what happens. If they just want the register cash, have at it. If life is on the line.........just call me 'Pandora', because at that point, I guess there really isn't much choice. No? Hard to speculate, really. Guess it boils down to how good at dice you are.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    OOH!!! I missed this.

‘meet like two gentlemen’

Powdered Wigs?
    Flintlock pistols?
    Calibre?
    Smooth bore or rifled?
    Or.
    Sharp pointy sticks……en guarde!
    No, Handbags at dawn that will sort the men from the boys.:wink:

PS
    Buford wrote: »
    Holy crap Batman.

Buford, you need help, please try and get past the one line reply.:roll2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    OOH!!! I missed this.

‘meet like two gentlemen’

Powdered Wigs?
    Flintlock pistols?
    Calibre?
    Smooth bore or rifled?
    Or.
    Sharp pointy sticks……en guarde!
    No, Handbags at dawn that will sort the men from the boys.:wink:

How about the OK Corrall at high noon? There would be lots of ammunition lying around in big piles!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Chevelle wrote: »
    Not kidding at all. Have you had a gun held to your temple? ... I have...
    Have you been cold cocked in the side of the face with a brick and had a few teeth chipped out while another guy held a gun?... I have..How about tied up by several guys and had a knife held to your throat?... yup I been there to.
    In all instances I did two things, showed respect, did not show fear.

Dang, you must look like your Avatar after being in all them dicey situations:yikes:

uploadfromtaptalk1338914121168.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,066 Senior Member
    If I could run away, I'd run away. If I couldn't (for whatever reasons) I'd do my best. Way too many variables to go beyond that very broad answer.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Zee wrote: »
    Not enough information for me, personally. It all depends on what happens. If they just want the register cash, have at it. If life is on the line.........just call me 'Pandora', because at that point, I guess there really isn't much choice. No?

Hard to speculate, really. Guess it boils down to how good at dice you are.

Good point. Problem is, how do you know in advance that all they want is the register cash? You can't. After grabbing this, if they decide to turn to the customers and march everyone into the back room, it may be too late for using that concealed weapon.

As for dice, brings to mind a quote from my novel "Despite Einstein’s admonition, God does indeed play at dice with the universe. And with us. Especially with us."

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    shush wrote: »
    Handbags at dawn that will sort the men from the boys.:wink:

Handbags at dawn sounds good but we gotta set up to take the viral video that will result. :beer::devil:

Good point. Problem is, how do you know in advance that all they want is the register cash? You can't. After grabbing this, if they decide to turn to the customers and march everyone into the back room, it may be too late for using that concealed weapon.

This is true. But, one cannot really answer such a question without being presented with the actual situation. We can have a plan, but even that plan will have many variables.
    I know that I would likely not start shooting at 3 spread out threats in a room of 30 people if all they wanted was the register. On the flip side, if my family was in jeopardy..........there is nothing I wouldn't do.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    We can have a plan, but even that plan will have many variables.

Having a plan is a good thing as long as we remember that very few plans survive first contact with the enemy. Quite often one ends up pulling something out of their fourth point of contact and hoping for the best.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Hence the many variables.:wink:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If I could run away, I'd run away. If I couldn't (for whatever reasons) I'd do my best. Way too many variables to go beyond that very broad answer.
    This is about the soundest "plan" to have.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • DunRanullDunRanull Member Posts: 35 Member
    Hmm no one mentioned.. pinching off the turd as the pucker-factor rises ... adreneline climbs and the world slows... a lot depends on the immediate situation. Most are not trained police or armed security, then again what I have experienced with most criminals I've met, they seem to operate on impulse in the moment and may be more dangerous than someone with a cooler head.
    Reading as a person who carries concealed much of the time, the thread has given me much to think on.. this is why we train in many scenarios.... Dumping a mag in a room/store/shop full of innocent and defenceless people isnt a pretty thought. Rule of thumb I was taught: If they come in with weapons and start to do their thing they are already inside the "lethal force" parameters. If the armed suspects shoot, it's too late for someone and past time to act. Likewise, if YOU intiate the shooting and someone is hurt as a by-product of your action.. you may get your buttocks sued off by the victim's family... Tough scene by scene call.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I got this briefcase see, and it is loaded with trauma plates. The plan is to take the .338 rounds to the back....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Don't forget to double up those plates on your back. I hear duck tape works well.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I am invisible when I want to be. Asian helitage.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Having a plan is a good thing as long as we remember that very few plans survive first contact with the enemy. Quite often one ends up pulling something out of their fourth point of contact and hoping for the best.

Let's not forget: "For every complex problem there's a simple solution, and it's wrong." -- Umberto Eco in Foucault's Pendulum

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I prefer, "Nature abhors a vacuum"..... in the absence of solid foundations or principles, the vacuum tends to quickly get filled with insubstantial theories.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Especially if it's a Dyson.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    In this case, it is not a vacuum cleaner, it is vacuity, or an empty space not filled with objective knowledge learned through experience, the empty space or vacuum, is filled with theories, and in some cases, fear of the unknown, then soon comes the ridicule of those that have labored diligently in order to aspire to learn something more substantial, than unsupported theories.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Especially if it's a Dyson.

I've got a Dyson Sphere**, keep it in the hallway closet. Sometimes my cat gets stuck to the door and I have to pry him off.

** rumor has it that Chevelle owns three of 'em.

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I've got a Dyson Sphere**, keep it in the hallway closet. Sometimes my cat gets stuck to the door and I have to pry him off.

I got a Wambli Ska, every time he buys a new gun, the floors look amazing....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
124»