Home Main Category General Firearms

Bullet sizing and it's effects

Joshb60796Joshb60796 New MemberPosts: 8 New Member
I'm a couple weeks into the reloading hobby and have really been enjoying the procedures and the benefits. I've been loading exactly as my recipes list. My question is this, for 9mm luger, 38 special, and 22-250, what diameters of bullets can I use for these three calibers, and what are the effects? For instance, I have 355 and 354 dia. 9mm luger bullets and 357 dia. 38sp bullets but I also have some 356 dia. Bullets and I'm wondering if I can use them in the 9mm luger and what the effects will be due to over or undersizing in respect to accuracy and bore erosion. Also, these are copper jacketed and/or plated bullets. Thank you all in advance for the free information.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Joshb60796 wrote: »
    I'm a couple weeks into the reloading hobby and have really been enjoying the procedures and the benefits. I've been loading exactly as my recipes list. My question is this, for 9mm luger, 38 special, and 22-250, what diameters of bullets can I use for these three calibers, and what are the effects? For instance, I have 355 and 354 dia. 9mm luger bullets and 357 dia. 38sp bullets but I also have some 356 dia. Bullets and I'm wondering if I can use them in the 9mm luger and what the effects will be due to over or undersizing in respect to accuracy and bore erosion. Also, these are copper jacketed and/or plated bullets. Thank you all in advance for the free information.

In .38 caliber, lead bullets are usually .358 and jacketed .357 diameter. And .355 and .356 for 9mm.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Joshb60796Joshb60796 New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you for that information, I noticed you gave two sizes for the 9mm. I have also bought some 9mm luger ammo that miked 354. What would be the effect of the smaller or larger ammo? I know lead is soft and will form more easily than copper. What are the effects? Does anyone have more information on this topic? I'm a bit of an information junkie :)

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I don't know about oversized, such as .357 through a barrel designed for .355, but I have read numerous accounts (in old posts that no longer exist) about using 9mm in .38 Specials. I can't say if that is for lead only, or if it also applies to jacketed bullets.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Normally, jacketed bullets are a specific-for-caliber size. In the case or 9MM the accepted size is .355", and for .38/,357 jacketed bullets are generally .357". It's possible there might be other size jacketed bullets, but they're somewhat oddball. In the case of cast lead bullets, sizes can and do vary considerably. Most of the molds I use cast bullets a little over bore size, and a swaging die is used to shrink the bullet to whatever diameter I choose to shoot. My .45 Colt bullets drop from the mold at around .353-.354 depending on the alloy I use, and I use a sizing die to apply the lubricant and the gas check disc, and shrink the diameter to .352". When shooting cast bullets it's important to know your barrel diameter (not all "38" barrels are .357, for instance) and size the bullets to bore size, or maybe .001" over. Resizing a jacketed bullet is difficult if not impossible without some very sophisticated equipment, so you're stuck with whatever size the manufacturer chose to make. Jacketed bullets can handle some pretty dramatic bore differences, like it's possible to shoot .323" "8MM" bullets through a .318" J-bore Mauser rifle, but the chamber pressure and recoil goes up noticeably. When .355" 9MM bullets are fired through a .357 or a .38 Special, velocity and sometimes accuracy suffers.
    Jerry
  • Joshb60796Joshb60796 New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you for all the wonderful information! :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2