Home Main Category Hunting

Talk to me about bow hunting

13»

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    U T wrote: »
    Thanks. I also looked it up on their web site, and looks good, better than my drop away that had nothing above the arrow it to box it in. Still curious what happens if you draw back, but decide not to shoot and let up on your draw? Does the arrow then stay boxed in, or does it flop around?

You just hold the drop away arm with your thumb, or yes it will drop away and the arrow will flop. On which case, you just recock it and call it a day.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Buffy, throw that one back, or change bait- - - - -his lip must be getting sore by now! Aren't you getting tired of reeling him in?
    Jerry
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,803 Senior Member
    Bit of an update on my end:

I just picked up a dozen Easton Carbon Excel 340's and 100 grain points. Doing the math, I'm now about 105 grains lighter per arrow than I was with my aluminum XX75 - 2216's (404 vs 509 grains). The new shafts are also about 1/8th of an inch narrower in diameter.

My backyard only lets me go to 25 yards, so the serious ballistic science is going to have to wait (the range is too short and my skills are sufficiently rusty to where drop and consistency of my hold are hard to tell apart). The first observable benefit is penetration. The new skinny shafts are going 2.5" deeper into my foam target.

Buffy - from a new bow versus old bow perspective, I'd be very curious to see how wide a range you can get on your sight pins. With the newly added fiber optic ring sight and whisker biscuit, my old Golden Eagle currently looks a little like a Model T with a modern EFI V8 in it. I'm currently running at about 60# of draw weight, and will probably up that another 5# before the season starts. We'll see what the new arrows do for me, but I'm guessing that 50 yards may the the max - at least without getting into major holdover.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    The joke's on me. Haw Haw!
    I guess that's the penalty when you mean what you say and say what you mean.
    Jim
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Bit of an update on my end:

I just picked up a dozen Easton Carbon Excel 340's and 100 grain points. Doing the math, I'm now about 105 grains lighter per arrow than I was with my aluminum XX75 - 2216's (404 vs 509 grains). The new shafts are also about 1/8th of an inch narrower in diameter.

My backyard only lets me go to 25 yards, so the serious ballistic science is going to have to wait (the range is too short and my skills are sufficiently rusty to where drop and consistency of my hold are hard to tell apart). The first observable benefit is penetration. The new skinny shafts are going 2.5" deeper into my foam target.

from a new bow versus old bow perspective, I'd be very curious to see how wide a range you can get on your sight pins. With the newly added fiber optic ring sight and whisker biscuit, my old Golden Eagle currently looks a little like a Model T with a modern EFI V8 in it. at least without getting into major holdover.

Here's the sight pins on my 2011 Bowtech Invasion CPX. 20,30,40,50,60 yards.
    My arrow/head combo weight 395 gr and leave at 325FPS @65 lb draw.
    I started out with those 340 Excels, still have a bunch. They shoot pretty good. Tough, tough arrows.

IMG_0180.jpg
    Good stuff JB - Thanks! Looks like we'll be running about the same poundage and only about ten grains off on the arrow. Any difference between my final pin layout and yours will then be down to bow speed and nothing else. Stay tuned!:beer:
    WWJMBD?

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Here are a few more pictures showing proper form.

WomannBow-1.jpg

womannBow.jpg
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    After reading this post I must say, Buffo is an excellent fisher. He mentioned a couple of times that he was fishing before the target species figured it out, and only after it was written in big red letters. With underlining.

Good show young man.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Here are a few more pictures showing proper form.

WomannBow-1.jpg

womannBow.jpg

I have watched her show a couple times. "Darn, mule deer jumped the string.'' They say as I yell at the TV, ''THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS AN 80 YARD SHOT WHILE THE FREAKIN DEER WAS LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU!!!''

Why they were sitting 80 yards from the bait pile is beyond me.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Those arent real.

Oh, you're THAT guy, huh?
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Good stuff JB - Thanks! Looks like we'll be running about the same poundage and only about ten grains off on the arrow. Any difference between my final pin layout and yours will then be down to bow speed and nothing else. Stay tuned!:beer:

Well, I've done that experiment, and it looks like the new bows have it.

I cranked up the poundage a skosh and while the trajectory is undeniably flatter with the new arrows, the sight still only allows for 20-50 yards with the upper and lower pins at the extremes of the adjustment range. Looks like the engineers have been busy in the last 25 years.

I either had the epiphany or made the mistake of shooting my buddy's 6 year old bow at the same time I ran this test. I'm pulling about 65-70 pounds and holding probably 32-35 after letoff. He's pulling about the same and only holding about 10-15. TALK ABOUT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN BEING ABLE TO AIM THE BOW!!

The other difference I'm noticing is the roughly 2 pounds difference between my bow and the new stuff. The Golden Eagle is still lighter than my Remington 700. I've vowed to kill something with this bow before I go shopping, but the Bear Anarchy and its various competitors have started to whisper to me. . .rather loudly.
    WWJMBD?