Home Main Category Personal Defense

Lake County, FL deputies shoot wrong armed man

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,870 Senior Member
Deputies follow murder suspect by day, and find his motorcycle at an apartment complex at night. They knock on a door at 1:30 AM and the occupant opens the door while armed. They shoot him.

It is claimed that he was pointing a gun at the deputies.
Initially it was claimed that the deputies announced themselves as law enforcement, but later it was clarified that they didn't announce themselves.
Marijuana, pipes, and scales were found inside the apartment.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Deputies-didn-t-identify-selves-in-fatal-shooting/-/1637132/15522974/-/4dp5dr/-/index.html

I asked an LEO I know how he would respond to an unsolicited knock on his door at 1:30 AM. He acknowledged he would be armed, but he'd look outside the window before opening the door. At the same time, he was rather surprised that LE didn't announce themselves and sees this as possibly turning sideways for the sheriff's department in question.

One moral of this story: check who's outside before answering the door. Make sure your outdoor light works and if you don't have a peephole, get one.
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The Lt. making the statements is a putz. He said they refused to identify to keep tactical advantage because someone inside could have shot through door or window at them. If this is so, then WHY WERE THE CLOWNS BANGING THE H-E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS OUT OF THE DOOR?????? Not like he didn't know where they were just by the noise. By refusing to identify, they placed themselves in the situation of being perceived as smash and grab home invaders. Guess nothing like that happens in that town. It was monumentally stupid on their part and deserves at least a voluntary manslaughter charge, but that won't happen. If the guy has any family they will have an uphill battle trying to get damages for wrongful death, and it will drag out forever. Protected class defendants protected by city's deeper pockets.

Don't open the door, day or night, to anyone refusing to identify themselves. Take cover and stand by to repel all boarders, and call 911 and get the whole mess on record. Peepholes in doors will get you in a bad position; a cheap video camera outside aimed at the door and monitor inside gets you out of harms way. Even the cheap ones will give you info on who is knocking on the door, and a decent camera/monitor can be had for less than $100. Cheap insurance, IMO. It would inhale to have your eye to the peephole when the door gets taken off the hinges. If you don't have a porch light or it doesn't work, get one or get the one you have fixed like breamfisher said.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,870 Senior Member
    Mike, I grew up in a nearby town to where this happened. Smash and grabs never happen? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight....
    I'm just here for snark.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    My sarcasm is both subtle and cutting. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 41 cal41 cal Member Posts: 97 Member
    It's sad but this very thing happening to me is one of my nightmares...I'm sure odds are slim,I live in a quiet part of town,but we hear of similiar cases often enough . Only had sheriffs pounding on my door, but after requested they backed up enough to let me see who they were cuz I sure was'nt looking through my peephole !
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder to find one ...