Home Main Category General Firearms

Finally! An EBR..... just not what I was really looking for now

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 10,664 Senior Member
Had $200 gift certificate for Cabela's, so wife and I drove down today and see what peaked my interest. Looked at used guns..... um, they wanted as much as new for used! $500 for a 6'' blued GP100? Seriously?

Looked at shotguns. Want a 20gauge by wabbit season. Nothing.... (well, under $800 anyway)

Looked at AR's... Cheapest was Bushmaster carbon. Very tempted cause it was really light, but I want a varmint upper eventually. Didn't know how the plastic lower would be to change triggers or support heavy barrel uppers.... They had a DMPS Sportical, but that is too stripped. Being a leftey, I need the brass deflector. Also had a 'Optics ready' Bushmaster on sale for $899, but I've seen them at Dick's and Dunhams for less....

Looked around the rest of the store and ended back up at the gun counter. Saw one other down at the end by itself. Walked down, and this was the clearance section............ so...... it came home.

Bushmaster Varmint model in .204 Ruger. I guess it is a Cabela's exclusive. Has a six position stock, 18'' fluted barrel, and a 'custom trigger', whatever that means (feels OK to me but not great).

http://www.cabelas.com/semiautomatic-bushmaster-varmint-rifles-2.shtml

s7_290737_423_02?rgn=0,0,2000,479&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2IQLD50xsbYzVKq9LfBmO5
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Nice! Now you can take it to the SE shoot and put it up against mine and JB's 204's.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Very nice! I hope to have a .204 by next year.

Let us know how it shoots.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    That will work....not wild about the chambering (personal thing), but the platform is solid (I've got one - except the barrel is longer and it has an A2 stock). Quite a shooter...what are you planning to do regarding optics?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Nice! Mine is the 'Predator' Model and looked a lot like yours when I got it (except in .223). Is the barrel fluted?
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    :beer: Cool! That ought to get the job done. 204 is a great round.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Yes the barrel is fluted. It isn't a heavy barrel to begin with, so I don't know how much weight it saved.....

Might have to work some OT and spring for a Nikon Buckmaster with the side focus...

Going to have to call Cabela's. Didn't come with the mini-risers for the scope (as in the picture) or an owners manual.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Yes the barrel is fluted. It isn't a heavy barrel to begin with, so I don't know how much weight it saved......

Cool. Then it is exactly like mine except for the chambering. Guess Cabela's just called it something different.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Cool. Then it is exactly like mine except for the chambering. Guess Cabela's just called it something different.

Was yours an 18'' barrel? I can't find another like it. All of their other Varmints seem to be heavy barrel with two stage triggers.
    Buckmasters 6-18x42 and a Burris P.E.P.R. mount ordered from Midway.......... I think it's a bit big for this gun, but it will be good to wring it out at the range. It will be a good scope to have in the stable for future plans..

123107.jpg

Also shot off an e-mail to my old gun club to see about renewing membership. Don't like the way they run the place (like a business and cater to 'customers' instead of catering to the members), but they are the only game in town.....
    Was yours an 18'' barrel?
    Yeah, 18".
    How did it shoot???
    How did it shoot???
    You know the crazy thing (for me, anyway)? I've never benched the gun past 50 yards. I bought it as a defensive weapon. Put an AimPoint on it. Changed things the way I wanted. Zeroed for 50 yards and run it like a mule. It does what I want. It hits the 1" paster at 50. I've never scoped it and shot it for accuracy at 100 so I can't say. Sorry.
    Ugh! Was going to clean it up today. I have a good Tipton cleaning rod........ a .22cal cleaning rod.. :bang:

I have a .17cal brush and jag. The jag I can make work, don't know how the brush will fit until I get another rod...
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    Had $200 gift certificate for Cabela's, so wife and I drove down today and see what peaked my interest. Looked at used guns..... um, they wanted as much as new for used! $500 for a 6'' blued GP100? Seriously?

Yup, pretty amazing what they charge (and often get) for used stuff. I have seen listing for used rifles that cost MORE then a new one from a competitor store.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Congrats, though looks like they flipped that pic

Naw, he is a LEFTY:jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :love: Good Looking rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    To avoid fine........

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    You can count me jealous buddy!
    Noticed stamped on the barrel ''Rem. 1/12 .204Ruger''......... Which reminded me that Remington bought Bushmaster... Right???

Doesn't this look familiar???

carbinecs.jpg
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
    Not really.

Cerberus Capital Management of New York City, NY first acquired Bushmaster in 2006, then Remington and DPMS in 2007. In 2008, Remington acquired Marlin. All these companies are combined into the Freedom Group, headquartered in Madison, NC. They also own Dakota Arms, H&R Firearms, Barnes bullets and othe firearm related companies.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Not really.

Cerberus Capital Management of New York City, NY first acquired Bushmaster in 2006, then Remington and DPMS in 2007. In 2008, Remington acquired Marlin. All these companies are combined into the Freedom Group, headquartered in Madison, NC. They also own Dakota Arms, H&R Firearms, Barnes bullets and othe firearm related companies.

Nothing like having too many irons in the fire.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,821 Senior Member
    This is an example of gigantic conglomorates, with holding companies and various subsidiaries. At one point when Cerberus was busy acquiring all these firearms-related companies, a suspicious person given to believing in conspiracies woud have been troubled by such things; but that's just the way the world works. From what I can tell, and I have absolutely no inside knowledge whatsoever, it seems that there has been some synergy generated with the acquisition of Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster and others. I know Remington was in somewhat of a bad way profitability-wise some years back and I think they are doing well now. There was probably a large infusion of capital from Cerberus through the Freedom Group and it was probably sorely needed. I do not know how DPMS and Bushmaster were faring when they got acquired.
    Just think it is funny that a Cabela's "Exclusive'' is a uncamoed Remington...... for the same price (price was same before it was on clearance)