Home Main Category Personal Defense

Home defense questions

saxdsaxd MemberPosts: 40 Member
Good morning. I am new to the forum and would like some input.
Last night I did a mock break-in scenario in my home to determine a few things.
1. Ability to arm myself in the dark.
2. Time it takes to arm myself for both shotgun and pistol.
3. Ability to manuver home with both.

I found that the pistol was easiest to access for the obvious reason that the pistol sits on the nightstand and the shotgun is under the bed.
I keep the pistol in a quick open safe with shotgun ammo as well (kiddies in the home). The pistol I can open the safe and be armed in a matter of two seconds (perhaps more if still sleepy or under stress). The shotgun takes 9 seconds to access, load, and chamber a round.

I also learned, I can't see a darn thing in my home. It is very dark, even after giving my eyes a half hour to adjust. It made it impossible to move without bumping into things. I then used a light (which can be attached to my pistol) and manuvered perfectly. I had my wife pretend to be the mock criminal, and at 10 feet away she said the light was still blinding and she could not see me. However, she made a valid point that a criminal might just shoot in the direction of the light before I even got my light shining on them.

Now given the information given, added to information already known. (stopping power, round capacity, etc.)
Would you choose...

A. S/A XD9 pistol 16 round gold dot hollow point + light
B. S/A XD9 pistol 16 round gold dot hollow point + no light
C. Remington model 1100 5 round slug + light
D. Remington model 1100 5 round slug + no light

Note: although I will appreciate comments of "none of the above get a glock...etc". The two guns lists I am most comfortable with. The shotgun is my only shotgun. The XD is not my only handgun, but it is what I am most accurate with and practice the most with at the range.

Best choice 16 votes

S/A XD9 with light
43% 7 votes
S/A XD9 no light
6% 1 vote
Shotgun with light
31% 5 votes
Shotgun no light
18% 3 votes

Replies

  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I'd go XD-9 with a light.

    Also, I would suggest opening your box right before you go to bed, and perhaps loading the shotgun.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Get a quick access lock for the shotgun.........

    ShotLock-Costco-Wall-Lock-Mount.jpg

    Keep in mind that even a 9mm will penetrate multiple drywall walls....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    None of the above, get a .45? ha ha

    Seriously, for me, it's "XD .45 w/o light" (I have plenty of ambient light where I live, but each person's situation is specific) and I'm thinking of getting a tac light anyway. btw the XD "Tactical" is loaded w. 13+1 of CorBon +P PowrBall.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :that: Only my combo is a M&P45 and an 870, both with lights.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • saxdsaxd Member Posts: 40 Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Both, if it's an option arm a second adult with one tocall 911 and hold down the fort and protect the kiddies and IF YOU ABOLUTELY NEED TO, you go explore with the other. Both are great options on either role.
    Oh yeah, lights on both and at least one extra mag for the XD handy.

    Ideally that is what I would like as well. Unfortunately my wife is gun-shy and will not go to the range with me to even get the feel of either gun. Also replacing slugs with #4 is probably a good idea.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    About the not being able to see in the dark. I have an LED nightlight in the kitchen I keep on, and one in the bathroom, and one in the living room. Once your eyes are adjusted to the dark, as in being asleep, those little lights provide plenty of light to see by. They are pretty useless if you just turned off normal lighting, though. Your pupils need time to dilate to see well with them. Get the blue LED nightlights. They are less intrusive than white LEDs and give off a better, to me, light to see by.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • saxdsaxd Member Posts: 40 Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Just an FYI, there's a HUGE difference between #4 shot and #4 buck

    Oh I know, I just found a great article. I will share it on another thread. It states as well buckshot is better, yet #4 possibly isn't the best.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    saxd wrote: »
    Oh I know, I just found a great article. I will share it on another thread. It states as well buckshot is better, yet #4 possibly isn't the best.

    Inside a house with neighboring houses and family members in your house, everything is a compromise. How deep can I put lead into a BG's gooey center without putting lead thru every wall of my house or into my neighbors house???

    Another good site to peruse on drywall penetration...

    http://www.theboxotruth.com/

    (I'd start with the Original Chapters)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Well, the correct answer is "shotgun with light, SUPPORTED by handgun with light".

    My caveat, however, learn how to PROPERLY use a light in a gunfight. The crowd that maintains "a light just gives the bad guys something to aim at" has not had that education - and for them, that assessment is possibly correct. Consider also that just because the light is there DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO TURN IT ON, OR LEAVE IT ON.

    Reference your other points:

    1. Time it takes to arm yourself: This is an issue if your house is so easily broken into that an intruder can do it quietly, or you sleep like the dead. Factor such things into your plans. Also, consider that, once rapidly armed, there's no law that says you can't work to become BETTER armed. One of the prime uses for a pistol is fighting one's way to a real weapon.

    2. Ability to maneuver: In a home defense setting, you'd better have a damn good reason for doing much maneuvering at all - such as defense of family. Given the choice, it's far better to keep the shotgun leveled at the door waiting for it to open. Scooting around in your own home merely makes it easier for the goblins to lie in wait for you. Also consider that SWAT cops clear houses with long guns ALL THE TIME.

    3. Overpenetration of various projectiles: You're new here, but I harp on this a lot. Handguns - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall; buckshot - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall; slugs - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall. Most of this ceases to be a major concern if you have your excrement together and hit what you're aiming at, to say nothing of having a simple understanding of basic firearm safety rules. Birdshot, and handgun projectiles designed to minimize penetration, stand a fair chance of failing to reach the hate-filled felon's squish to the necessary degree. I"m not saying you need .50BMG with AP rounds for the house, but I think you've got more reason to be concerned about not enough penetration as opposed to too much.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    You left out the most important item! A Dog. I leave a night light on in the living room
    as well as motion sensor lights at various locations outdoors.
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,423 Senior Member
    Pistol with a light for a few reasons.

    1) Blind man with a gun. Just read about someone who shot their brother coming into the place. If you can't identify the target, you could be shooting someone you like/love.

    2) You may need a free hand to dial 911, to open a door, or guide a child. Hard to do with a shotgun in both hands.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    I say you should rethink moving around in your house if you think there has been a break in unless you have family members in another part of the house. Find the only avenue of approach, hunker down in a defensive position and wait on the cops. That 42 in hdtv ain't worth dying for. This could also eliminate firing into others bedrooms. I'd also suggest you have a password for your family/friends. This could possibly stop a tragic shooting.
    Here's a shotgun rack for your bedside that works great for me.

    http://the-backup.com/
    Randy

    Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,423 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I say you should rethink moving around in your house if you think there has been a break in unless you have family members in another part of the house. Find the only avenue of approach, hunker down in a defensive position and wait on the cops. That 42 in hdtv ain't worth dying for. This could also eliminate firing into others bedrooms. I'd also suggest you have a password for your family/friends. This could possibly stop a tragic shooting.
    Here's a shotgun rack for your bedside that works great for me.

    http://the-backup.com/

    Mostly great. The password is great in theory. Doing customer service for so long, a good portion doesn't remember passwords well. Thinking at 2:17am and bleary-eyed, doesn't strike me as the best combination. Train to identify before you pull the trigger. It should be done anyway. Let them yell for shining a light in their face.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • saxdsaxd Member Posts: 40 Member
    rbsivley wrote: »
    I say you should rethink moving around in your house if you think there has been a break in unless you have family members in another part of the house. Find the only avenue of approach, hunker down in a defensive position and wait on the cops. That 42 in hdtv ain't worth dying for. This could also eliminate firing into others bedrooms. I'd also suggest you have a password for your family/friends. This could possibly stop a tragic shooting.
    Here's a shotgun rack for your bedside that works great for me.

    http://the-backup.com/

    I really would rather stay put. Problem is, I have a four bedroom home and every bedroom that I am not in is filled with kids. In retrospect that is something I should have mentioned in the original post. Although, I did mention kiddies, I didn't mention how many and layout of the home. I am on one side, the kids are clear on the other side of our home. Anyway, if I awoke to the sound of an intruder, I couldn't say to myself "hope the kids are ok but I am hunkering down in my room" It is also a reason why at one point I kept birdshot for home defense (overpenetration concerns), but found out the birdshot has a good chance of not stopping a full grown man.
    I am not opposed to buckshot, and really don't want to turn this thread into a "what type of shot to use"

    This really is the reason for my concern and confusion. Honestly if I had no kids, the shotgun would stay loaded at all times and I would stay in my room with the gun pointed at the door.
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    None of the above, get a .45? ha ha

    Seriously, for me, it's "XD .45 w/o light" (I have plenty of ambient light where I live, but each person's situation is specific) and I'm thinking of getting a tac light anyway. btw the XD "Tactical" is loaded w. 13+1 of CorBon +P PowrBall.

    I have an 45 XD but I would use my Sig P220 (45)... with light

    Or my Shotgun...




    Snake
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    saxd wrote: »
    This really is the reason for my concern and confusion. Honestly if I had no kids, the shotgun would stay loaded at all times and I would stay in my room with the gun pointed at the door.

    Yes with that floor plan you will have to move.
    Randy

    Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

    3. Overpenetration of various projectiles: You're new here, but I harp on this a lot. Handguns - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall; buckshot - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall; slugs - if you miss the squishy, hate-filled felon - will penetrate a lot of drywall. Most of this ceases to be a major concern if you have your excrement together and hit what you're aiming at, to say nothing of having a simple understanding of basic firearm safety rules. Birdshot, and handgun projectiles designed to minimize penetration, stand a fair chance of failing to reach the hate-filled felon's squish to the necessary degree.

    This is extremely good advice.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    saxd wrote: »
    I really would rather stay put. Problem is, I have a four bedroom home and every bedroom that I am not in is filled with kids. In retrospect that is something I should have mentioned in the original post. Although, I did mention kiddies, I didn't mention how many and layout of the home. I am on one side, the kids are clear on the other side of our home. Anyway, if I awoke to the sound of an intruder, I couldn't say to myself "hope the kids are ok but I am hunkering down in my room" It is also a reason why at one point I kept birdshot for home defense (overpenetration concerns), but found out the birdshot has a good chance of not stopping a full grown man.
    I am not opposed to buckshot, and really don't want to turn this thread into a "what type of shot to use"

    This really is the reason for my concern and confusion. Honestly if I had no kids, the shotgun would stay loaded at all times and I would stay in my room with the gun pointed at the door.

    Depending on the ages of the kids, train them in the use of a firearm.

    Regardless of anything else, develop some way of barring the door shut from the inside. Sure it'll cause a few issues, but in the event of home intrusion, that'll be a pain for any person to break open, and it will guarantee that the kiddies will be safe for at least the amount of time it takes for you to get across the house.
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Tugar wrote: »
    Mostly great. The password is great in theory. Doing customer service for so long, a good portion doesn't remember passwords well. Thinking at 2:17am and bleary-eyed, doesn't strike me as the best combination. Train to identify before you pull the trigger. It should be done anyway. Let them yell for shining a light in their face.

    The family and friends that stay overnite or longer at my house are few and far between and they get the spend-the-night safety briefing every time they stay. If you're walking around your house @ 2:17am with a gun because you think someone has entered unwelcomed you better be thinking and real fast and of course you should id any person before you shoot. If I leave the bedroom during a break in emergency the next person coming in that bedroom door better know the password because Sylv is hunkered down in there armed and dangerous.
    Randy

    Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement