My biggest problem with the "Liberal" side, at least most that I have spoken with.

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,414 Senior Member
Let me preface this. With my usually identifying as a Libertarian, and being mostly "live and let live," I find myself able to agree both with so-called "conservatives" and "liberals" on many issues. Because of this I sometimes find myself associating with liberal folks more often than I think I would otherwise.

As a result of this I have identified what I feel is my biggest problem with so-called "liberals," although it is not limited to them and I have certainly met "conservatives" with the same issue: They think they are smarter than everyone else.

Case in point is a military member I used to work with, who has lately been attacking people online in response to statements supporting CCW's. He states that most Americans are too dumb to responsibly own guns period, much less carry them in public. He feels that a firearms ownership license should be created in conjunction with this belief.

Now, let's examine this fellow's lifestyle and background: He is a college graduate from a prestigious university, he comes from a wealthy family. He attended law school for a time, but either dropped out or flunked out, during which he owned a house by age 25. He has traveled all across the globe, including to many places an American probably should not go (and has pics to prove it). He is in the military and has deployed to Iraq. He is also an avid gun enthusiast. He possesses a Class III license and numerous NFA items (suppressors, SBR's, you name it), as well as a CHL. Imagine Wambli and the Shrub put together, and that's a good way to describe his collection. Oh yeah, he's 27 at the oldest. Did I mention he comes from a wealthy family?

His favorite hobby aside from shooting massive amounts of ammunition each weekend at his own ranch, flying Cessna's and gliders (since the Army wouldn't send him to flight school), and smoking expensive cigars is lambasting people that he views as idiots online. His superiors at work, "religious idiots," conservatives, etc... Seemingly no-one is free from his faceless online ridicule.

This is where my problem comes in. I'm sure you've noticed that I've bolded every word that denotes someone of lower intelligence. THIS is my problem with liberals: They assume everyone who disagrees with them is a moron barely capable of basic human functions. Government regulation in every aspect of our lives is good in their eyes, but should be subjected only to those lesser beings who dare to disagree with them. They view themselves as exempt, above the great masses (for whatever reason), as exemplified by my sample individual who is an avid gunowner yet claims the average American is too stupid to be allowed to own guns.

End of rant, hopefully it makes sense. What do you guys think?
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Is this the individual we discussed on FB? If so, then, I believe I would have a hard time maintaining a relationship of any kind with him.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    .......THIS is my problem with liberals: They assume everyone who disagrees with them is a moron barely capable of basic human functions. Government regulation in every aspect of our lives is good in their eyes, but should be subjected only to those lesser beings who dare to disagree with them. They view themselves as exempt, above the great masses (for whatever reason), as exemplified by my sample individual who is an avid gunowner yet claims the average American is too stupid to be allowed to own guns.
    I find this quality to be true of almost all liberals we have the misfortune to be the victim of their rants. Libs such as TV libs, movie actor libs. News libs, political libs, comedian libs...up to and including the few libs we have on this forum. I'm pretty tired of their uppity, arrogant, better-than-thou attitude towards the rest of the people they consider to be societal trash, especially conservatives who in their view are lower than whale pucky.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    Let me preface this. With my usually identifying as a Libertarian, and being mostly "live and let live," I find myself able to agree both with so-called "conservatives" and "liberals" on many issues. Because of this I sometimes find myself associating with liberal folks more often than I think I would otherwise.

As a result of this I have identified what I feel is my biggest problem with so-called "liberals," although it is not limited to them and I have certainly met "conservatives" with the same issue: They think they are smarter than everyone else.

Case in point is a military member I used to work with, who has lately been attacking people online in response to statements supporting CCW's. He states that most Americans are too dumb to responsibly own guns period, much less carry them in public. He feels that a firearms ownership license should be created in conjunction with this belief.

Now, let's examine this fellow's lifestyle and background: He is a college graduate from a prestigious university, he comes from a wealthy family. He attended law school for a time, but either dropped out or flunked out, during which he owned a house by age 25. He has traveled all across the globe, including to many places an American probably should not go (and has pics to prove it). He is in the military and has deployed to Iraq. He is also an avid gun enthusiast. He possesses a Class III license and numerous NFA items (suppressors, SBR's, you name it), as well as a CHL. Imagine Wambli and the Shrub put together, and that's a good way to describe his collection. Oh yeah, he's 27 at the oldest. Did I mention he comes from a wealthy family?

His favorite hobby aside from shooting massive amounts of ammunition each weekend at his own ranch, flying Cessna's and gliders (since the Army wouldn't send him to flight school), and smoking expensive cigars is lambasting people that he views as idiots online. His superiors at work, "religious idiots," conservatives, etc... Seemingly no-one is free from his faceless online ridicule.

This is where my problem comes in. I'm sure you've noticed that I've bolded every word that denotes someone of lower intelligence. THIS is my problem with liberals: They assume everyone who disagrees with them is a moron barely capable of basic human functions. Government regulation in every aspect of our lives is good in their eyes, but should be subjected only to those lesser beings who dare to disagree with them. They view themselves as exempt, above the great masses (for whatever reason), as exemplified by my sample individual who is an avid gunowner yet claims the average American is too stupid to be allowed to own guns.

End of rant, hopefully it makes sense. What do you guys think?

Sounds like your "friend" is an immature, entitled, douche. I don't think political ideology plays into it that much. He does sound elitist, but while there are certainly lots of liberal elitists, there are also plenty of conservative elitists (look no further than the current Republican nominee and his Hamptons fundraisers). In general though I would say elitism tends to come more from financial or social status rather than from political ideology.

I would argue there's actually a pretty core free market basis for elitism in rich folks. The free market is supposed to reward the best and the brightest right? So if someone is richer than you by definition they must be better than you, otherwise the free market would not have rewarded them with so much success would it?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,414 Senior Member
    I find this quality to be true of almost all liberals we have the misfortune to be the victim of their rants. Libs such as TV libs, movie actor libs. News libs, political libs, comedian libs...up to and including the few libs we have on this forum. I'm pretty tired of their uppity, arrogant, better-than-thou attitude towards the rest of the people they consider to be societal trash, especially conservatives who in their view are lower than whale pucky.

Let's avoid personal attacks here folks. I actually enjoy reading some of the stuff from our token liberal(s). Broaden the mind and all that...
    Sounds like your "friend" is an immature, entitled, douche. I don't think political ideology plays into it that much. He does sound elitist, but while there are certainly lots of liberal elitists, there are also plenty of conservative elitists (look no further than the current Republican nominee and his Hamptons fundraisers). In general though I would say elitism tends to come more from financial or social status rather than from political ideology.

I would argue there's actually a pretty core free market basis for elitism in rich folks. The free market is supposed to reward the best and the brightest right? So if someone is richer than you by definition they must be better than you, otherwise the free market would not have rewarded them with so much success would it?

I actually agree with you about elitists, and I've seen a few from both sides of the political spectrum. I was actually going to post a follow up on this thread about how my problem with conservatives is that they seem to think they have the God-given right to dictate morality to other people.

However, I don't feel that this attitude is limited to elitists in regard to money. This fellow is also a firm supporter of OWS and other similar movements/mindsets. I'm simply using him as a a case study to exemplify my point.

Economically speaking you could easily argue that those who are most successful in a free market are in some way "better" than those of us who haven't risen to the very top. However, this does not unilaterally justify "holier than thou" attitudes as a whole, especially from a social perspective of "you aren't smart enough to control your own life," which is the specific attitude that I was addressing.

As I said before, I also despise the "My private moral conduct is better than yours, therefore you must conform to my morals" attitude.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    You really really really need to invite him here.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    The liberal intellectual elite, particularly professor's at most of the major universities
    despise Capitalism. In part this is due to the many intellectually inferior Americans becoming Millionaires working in the Capitalist system. The fact that they ( the smartest
    among us) are not as rich as the Capitalist really pi$#es them off, this is the opposite
    of the commie system. IMHO
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,741 Senior Member
    However, I don't feel that this attitude is limited to elitists in regard to money.

Very valid point, there are plenty bases for people to become elitists, at least in a specific domain: there are intellectual elitists (tend towards liberal), moral elitists (tend towards conservative), firearms elitists (no self respecting gun owner would be caught dead with a hi point/Taurus in their safe):tooth:, and even spelling and grammar elitists :jester:
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Let's avoid personal attacks here folks. I actually enjoy reading some of the stuff from our token liberal(s). Broaden the mind and all that...
    Nothing personal about it...just my opinion, and mine only (well, maybe a few others too). I also don't think it broadens the mind to have the same crap thrown at you day after day. Once you read or hear it once, that's quite enough.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    You really really really need to invite him here.
    Haha...you must be hungry for punishment.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If by elitist you mean the folks that go well past any differentiation between humans based on race, religion, economic background and nationality in favor of a system of values that prizes hard work, personal accomplishments and success, I signed up for that club a long time ago. I'm a raging conservative elitist and darn proud of it.

I've been called an elitist before, but mostly by stupid idiot... wait whaaa? ;) In all seriousness, I do think that society in general is made up of 80% self centered morons. I also do have a high moral standard where I think EVERYONE should be held to the same standards dispite what title they may have. That attitude has also gotten be called "cop hater" and "racist" but oh well. You break the rules you should pay like everyone else.

I've found that trying to argue with a liberal is pointless because no matter what proof you have, you're wrong and they're right end of story. Saw a pic on FB that said "argueing with a liberal is like trying to play chess with a pigeon. They just kick all the pieces over, poo on the board then strut around victorious"