Home Main Category Hunting

Deer Hunting in the Rifle Zone this Year!

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 16,132 Senior Member
I was looking at the anterless quotas this year trying to decide where to put in my application for a tag. Typically, we hunt an area that is shotguns only. Their quotas are down this year, but the area we have hunted that is just in the rifle zone has an abundant supply of tags.

I get to use a rifle!
I get to use a rifle!

Main rifle is going to be the .338 Federal with the 180gr load. Backup is going to be the .338 Win mag (because that is the kind of guy I am).

I am excited and just thought I would share.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
-Thomas Paine

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,791 Senior Member
    You're not going to know what to do with yourself with a rifle in your hands.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I think you are probably right. It has been quite some time since I have hunted with one. I am always trying to get a shotgun, straight wall cartridged handgun, or inline muzzle loader to perform like a rifle. That gets frustrating.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    That's pretty cool. Is the new area closer, or farther?
    jbohio wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. Is the new area closer, or farther?
    About the same distance for you and me. Farther for Kevin Thomas, much closer for Dave. This is in DMU 55-- Midland county. We will be camping in the Black Creek state forest campground...
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=577&type=SFCG
    Here is a county map. The red line running east and west toward the middle is the rifle zone boundary....
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=577&type=SFCG
    -Thomas Paine
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Can't wait to hear the hunting report!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Well, since you're gonna be using a rifle this year, don't forget you've got to aim!:wink:

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Congrat's! I got kinda excited about that .338 Federal build and was heartbroken when CDNN ran out of them. They had the Rugers listed for 399.00.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Well that is cool, I still need to go work on the .338 Federal recipe that Linefinder sent me:bang:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Well that is cool, I still need to go work on the .338 Federal recipe that Linefinder sent me:bang:.

You keep saying that. Hop to it, boy!!!! We want results!!!!!!!
    I can't believe how hard it is to actually find a rifle in .338 Federal.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,474 Senior Member
    I need a rifle. . .I need a rifle. . .
    :tooth:

Go get 'em tiger! I've got four tags from two states covering bows, rifles, bucks, does, and bull elk. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting twitchy.:beer:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I get to use a rifle!

Good for you!...you're going to have a great time up there...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    don't forget you've got to aim!:wink:

Mike
    OH SNAP!!! :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee wrote: »
    We want results!!!!!!!
    Yes we do! I got a couple of recipes that shoot good too. Since I keep forgetting to send your hot sauce, I will put a few of each bullet and the recipes for the loads in the box. I swear I am going to make it to the post office on Monday. Your packages as well, Zee and JB.
    -Thomas Paine
    I can't believe how hard it is to actually find a rifle in .338 Federal.
    I was telling you guys when they had 99 in stock and they were on sale. Did you and Fishead listen? Noooooooooooooooooooo!
    -Thomas Paine
    I was telling you guys when they had 99 in stock and they were on sale. Did you and Fishead listen? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

We needed you to be the sacrificial lamb, first.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    Cool. I might actually buy a tag this time. I looks a heckuva lot farther, but mapquest says it's 4 hours 40 minutes, that would be much better. I think it took me six to the other place.

Now, if I can just find a rifle around here somewhere :tooth:
    We needed you to be the sacrificial lamb, first.
    Fixed it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I was looking at the anterless quotas this year trying to decide where to put in my application for a tag. Typically, we hunt an area that is shotguns only. Their quotas are down this year, but the area we have hunted that is just in the rifle zone has an abundant supply of tags.

I get to use a rifle!
    I get to use a rifle!

Main rifle is going to be the .338 Federal with the 180gr load. Backup is going to be the .338 Win mag (because that is the kind of guy I am).

I am excited and just thought I would share.

Congrats Jerm! These people need to realize that it's Birds-Shotguns
    Anything with 4 legs-Rifle
    This would eliminate so much confusion...:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Cool. I might actually buy a tag this time. I looks a heckuva lot farther, but mapquest says it's 4 hours 40 minutes, that would be much better. I think it took me six to the other place.

Now, if I can just find a rifle around here somewhere :tooth:

If you can't find one i have a .270 I'll loan you, :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    There is no way around it now. I must get the reloading room operational. I have been waiting and waiting on this dude to give me his cabinets. I am just going to have to pick up a few myself so I can get my bench working. A screaming fast beanfield load with the 180gr Nosler in .338 Win mag could be interesting. I have to load up more rounds for the Mrs's 260 as well.

In this area we can actually take long shots-- yes sir! I made my longest shot on game ever in this area... A whopping 154 yards. I am glad I was using a .264 Win mag when I did-- it had the velocity to reach out there like that.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Their quotas are down this year, but the area we have hunted that is just in the rifle zone has an abundant supply of tags.

Quota? What's this "quota" of which you speak? Down here, we get to take 3 does a day (with a rifle, ML, or bow and arrow) for a 3-month season, and check 'em in online!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Quota? What's this "quota" of which you speak? Down here, we get to take 3 does a day (with a rifle, ML, or bow and arrow) for a 3-month season, and check 'em in online!
    Jerry

On private land, you can pretty much get unlimited tags. On public land, it is a bit different.
    -Thomas Paine
    You keep saying that. Hop to it, boy!!!! We want results!!!!!!!

Bought the powder he suggested today.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Congrats on this Jerm. I've been fortunate enough to hunt area where rifle use is never an issue most years that I've gone out, but I know a lot of states simply aren't like that. Given that I KNOW you're gonna come through, would you like me to send you an incrdible backstrap recipe that I found in a Norht American Hunting Club cookbook?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Bought the powder he suggested today.
    Your care package is getting delayed again. I thought I was losing my mind hunting around for those Speer Deepcurls. I finally talked to Shrub earlier and he said that he used and loaded all of them. Thankfully, I am not losing my mind, but my Midway order probably won't be here until the end of the week. I will be enclosing those and a decent variety of bullets that may or may not work for your .338 Federal.

Same with you JB, but I will have some heavier ones to go with your .338 Win mag as well.

Shrub? In case you are wondering, he is doing fine. :wink:
    -Thomas Paine
    Your care package is getting delayed again. I thought I was losing my mind hunting around for those Speer Deepcurls. I finally talked to Shrub earlier and he said that he used and loaded all of them. Thankfully, I am not losing my mind, but my Midway order probably won't be here until the end of the week. I will be enclosing those and a decent variety of bullets that may or may not work for your .338 Federal.

Same with you JB, but I will have some heavier ones to go with your .338 Win mag as well.

Shrub? In case you are wondering, he is doing fine. :wink:

Very cool, thank you. Linefinder, you need to check your email please, I need a few details from you about starting and max charge weights on the H322.

Jerm, I do have a .340 Wthby also, bullets won't go to waste.
    Jerm, I do have a .340 Wthby also, bullets won't go to waste.
    I guess that means that you are getting some Matchkings then! I almost put some 250 gr A-Frames on that Midway order.... Almost.
    -Thomas Paine
    I guess that means that you are getting some Matchkings then! I almost put some 250 gr A-Frames on that Midway order.... Almost.

I need to work on loads for this .340 beast also, I went with the loads my buddy was using in his and the results are mediocre in my gun, I finally used up the last of the 40 rnds a couple years ago that we loaded up before he moved.