Word from Obama aid: More Gun Control is not the Answer

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,378 Senior Member
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/07/22/Obama-aide-No-new-gun-control-laws-needed/UPI-28891343001669/

It appears that Obama has stated that more enforcement of current laws is a better course of action. Taking the statements at face value, I actually agree with the President on this one. We shall see.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,459 Senior Member
    That is not what Obama believes. He recognizes the danger of mentioning gun control before the election. Which is a good thing. We need to keep that fear in the Democratic Party....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Not just the dummycraps- - - -politicians in general! Just because a politician panders to a particular group such as gun owners doesn't make him a friend. They know which side their bread is buttered on, but a lot of 'em would sell us out in a heartbeat for a few votes! Mitt Romney is definitely in that group!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    I think their collective rear ends are still stinging after the spanking they got for passing the 1994 AWB. Notice how few of its supporters are still in DC?
    Of course some of the ringleaders from more liberal areas are, but the rank and file members with a more conservative base, got their hats handed to them for supporting it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    I hope it's true and he doesn't push for more infringements on our 2A/RKBA rights. However, he uses his office/agencies of GOVT to support his anti-gun policies. If he gets reelected, the sheep skin will come off to expose the Wolf.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    If he gets reelected, the sheep skin will come off to expose the Wolf.
    That's my greatest fear. Obummer with no worry about being re-elected
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Ok, so I read the article. I don't trust Odummy never have, and never will. He lies, and lies big time,just look at his record for the last 4yrs.

jbp-ohio wrote:
    That is not what Obama believes. He recognizes the danger of mentioning gun control before the election. Which is a good thing. We need to keep that fear in the Democratic Party....

I have to concure with that^^^^

Teach wrote:

Not just the dummycraps- - - -politicians in general! Just because a politician panders to a particular group such as gun owners doesn't make him a friend. They know which side their bread is buttered on, but a lot of 'em would sell us out in a heartbeat for a few votes! Mitt Romney is definitely in that group!
    Jerry
    Yep,,,, You are so right Teach, happened to Clinton during his re-election,too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knitepoet wrote:
    I think their collective rear ends are still stinging after the spanking they got for passing the 1994 AWB. Notice how few of its supporters are still in DC?
    Of course some of the ringleaders from more liberal areas are, but the rank and file members with a more conservative base, got their hats handed to them for supporting it

Very well said knitepoet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Chief wrote:
    I hope it's true and he doesn't push for more infringements on our 2A/RKBA rights. However, he uses his office/agencies of GOVT to support his anti-gun policies. If he gets reelected, the sheep skin will come off to expose the Wolf

Yep, I agree with that too^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You folks said it all, nothing I can add here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent responses guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, may I quote ya'll on these?
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    That's my greatest fear. Obummer with no worry about being re-elected

Thats scary, very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I hope it's true and he doesn't push for more infringements on our 2A/RKBA rights. However, he uses his office/agencies of GOVT to support his anti-gun policies. If he gets reelected, the sheep skin will come off to expose the Wolf.

I have no doubt that if Obama had dictatorial powers, the RKBA would end today. However, even in a second term (God forbid) he would never get Congress to go along with his agenda. Not having term limits, Congress critters loyalties always default to their own re-elections rather than party ideology. This might be one of the best arguments against term limits. The fact is all but the far left won't dare attack the RKBA because a solid majority of the American public believe in it. That alone gives me hope we can restore our beloved Republic.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    Silver lining folks - in the last 20 years, the common reaction among liberals to one of these high-profile shootings has gone from open and outraged demand for added gun control to "ummmmmm. . .yeah. . .not the time to talk about gun control. . .enforce existing laws. . .mumble mumble mumble".

There's no doubt that our spawned-in-Dick-Daley's-political-machine President is in favor of any gun control measure that can be written. There's no shortage of other politicians who feel the same way.

The point, boys and girls, is that they now feel they have to HIDE IT. Smells like victory to me. We ARE taking it back. . . now could y'all please come and save those of us who are trapped in California?:bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Good article in "The Blaze" regarding gun sales in CO in the aftermath of this tragedy.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gun-sales-gun-classes-in-colo-skyrocket-after-dark-knight-shooting/

"Just days after the horrifying events in Aurora, Colorado — where at least twelve people were killed and dozens more injured by what police believe to be a lone gunman — the Denver Post is reporting that background checks for people wanting to buy guns in the state have jumped more than 41% after Friday’s horrific events.

“It’s been insane,” Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker, told the Post. He added that Monday was probably “the busiest Monday all year” and that the store’s firearms classes are booked solid for the next three weeks.

“A lot of it is people saying, ‘I didn’t think I needed a gun, but now I do,’” Meyers said. “When it happens in your backyard, people start reassessing — ‘Hey, I go to the movies.’”

The Post continues:

Between Friday and Sunday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm — a 43 percent increase over the previous Friday through Sunday and a 39 percent jump over those same days on the first weekend of July.

The biggest spike was on Friday, when there were 1,216 checks, a 43 percent increase over the average number for the previous two Fridays.

[...]

Such increases aren’t unusual in the wake of mass shootings.

After a gunman in Tucson killed six people and injured others, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, in 2010, background checks in Arizona jumped 60 percent over the same date one year earlier, according to the FBI.

Though it’s pretty clear how most of America (and now Colorado) feels about defending itself, State Rep. Rhonda Fields (D-Aurora) thinks the state should consider other measures to prevent similar tragedies.

She commented: “I think that’s what the conversation needs to be…I don’t think that to be preventative, we need to provide or have more guns.”

And that’s been a common theme. It didn’t take long after theshooting for those on the left to start calling for increased gun control.

From Current TV’s Bill Press (who said the NRA ought to be called “Murder Incorporated”) to a Jesuit priest who claimed gun control was a “religious issue,” the narrative was clear: stricter gun laws could have prevented the tragedy.

(Related: Read Nanny Bloomberg’s Demand for Full Gun Control)

After it was insinuated that those who defend the Second Amendment are somehow to blame, Rush Limbaugh hit back with the following statement: “Blaming guns for murder is like blaming forks for obesity. Someone misused a gun therefore no one’s allowed to have one…This guy would have found ways to do what he did in that theater whether he could have gotten guns or not.”

A CNS News article asked whether the night would have unfolded the same way if someone else in the theater would have been armed. Would the suspect have been able to shoot dozens of people at random, relatively unhindered, for as long as he did?

It seems Coloradans are answering the question."

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug