News reports from Nc are highlighting a grass roots conglomerate
formed to the express purpose of reducing highway deaths by banning
personal vehicles. The premise is that if the only drivers on the nations
roads were professional such as motor carrier and mass transit drivers
with a few taxi drivers allowed, highway deaths would almost become a
thing of the past.

The plan is even getting the attention of Tea Party members as is would
contribute to local, state, and federal cost savings as jobs in the taxing,
registration, and traffic enforcement cut be cut saving billions.

Member organizations include:
1. MTACO Mass transit against convenience org
2. MATF Mothers against Teenage Fun
3. TA4WV Truckers against four wheeled vehicles

There is great excitement in the air and organizational meeting are expected
to be coming to a town near you as interstate membership is expected.

The only stumbling block is the classification of small contractor trucks and
the choosing of a national chairman to lead the group forward in this endeavor.

I understand the fol person is considered the front runner for this position
http://forums.gunsandammo.com/member.php?18-knitepoet
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Um so what if I wanna haul a load of poo or sand or my boat or run down to a range that's 17 miles outa town down back roads with a dozen guns, a table, and a few chairs? Show me the cabbie that'll do that (and CAN do that) and not charge me well over $100.. screw that crap
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    :spittingcoffee::rotflmao::fiddle:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I hope everybody is taking a bus or cab to the meetings. In the interest of public safety of course.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    Know what I would actually be in favor of seriously? A dedicated 2 lane 1 way on either side of the interstate for commercial ONLY! I don't mind them on the road too much and I know to be mindful of their blind spots and not being able to stop fast and such but there are a few who are massive jerks. I'd like it if I didn't have to share the road with em, and I'm sure more than a few feel the same way about the rest of us - particularly motorcycles
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    It will never fly in a Country like the USA, we have had, and still do have a 'Great Love affair" with our cars, ever since Henry Ford came up with the production line, which made afforadable automobiles, for the average person....
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    It will never fly in a Country like the USA, we have had, and still do have a 'Great Love affair" with our cars, ever since Henry Ford came up with the production line, which made afforadable automobiles, for the average person....

While I'm pretty sure nn is mostly joking with this post, that "love affair" is waning. While the automobile was a major symbol of freedom for previous generations, it doesn't hold the same symbolism for most younger Americans. Fewer of us have cars or see them as anymore than utilitarian transport and when it's an option we'll gladly take public transit or bike instead.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    While I'm pretty sure nn is mostly joking with this post, that "love affair" is waning. While the automobile was a major symbol of freedom for previous generations, it doesn't hold the same symbolism for most younger Americans. Fewer of us have cars or see them as anymore than utilitarian transport and when it's an option we'll gladly take public transit or bike instead.

...what world do you live in???
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    That makes sense. We should leave the driving to professionals who have had the necessary training.

True story-- About a year ago, Ray LaHood (Obama's transportation secretary) was on NPR promoting his crusade to ban cell phones in cars saying that only the police had the training to talk on the phone and drive at the same time. Some guy called in (on his cell while driving) and asked where he could get some of that "special training". I think I could hear LaHood's blood pressure rise over the radio.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member

Yeah, it was a sad day the last Corvette rolled off the line. I teared up a little watching the ceremony when they shuttered the Mustang plant. And gosh, I don't remember the last time I saw a lifted 4x4. Meanwhile the Chevy Volt is flying off dealer lots and are on a pace to be the best selling car of all time.
    Dude, you seriously need to step out of that echo chamber you live in.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...what world do you live in???

http://m.kiplinger.com/article.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkiplinger.com%2Fbusinessresource%2Fforecast%2Farchive%2Fno-cars-for-generation-y.html

I can find dozens of stories like this from business and finance pages/websites. When talking about a whole generation it's always about averages, but on average more of us view cars as an expensive hassle and necessary evil rather than a major status or sex symbol. A lot of us are more likely to buy a car based on gas milage and technology than horsepower.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    http://m.kiplinger.com/article.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkiplinger.com%2Fbusinessresource%2Fforecast%2Farchive%2Fno-cars-for-generation-y.html

I can find dozens of stories like this from business and finance pages/websites. When talking about a whole generation it's always about averages, but on average more of us view cars as an expensive hassle and necessary evil rather than a major status or sex symbol. A lot of us are more likely to buy a car based on gas milage and technology than horsepower.

...glad it works for you, I don't think it would work out very well around here...

aldrich.jpg
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Damn that's pretty country. Can I come over? just point me to a good campsite.............
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    . And gosh, I don't remember the last time I saw a lifted 4x4. .
    Well, they are common around here what with all them good old boys that went in the
    Marines and then get stationed here.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Yeah, it was a sad day the last Corvette rolled off the line. I teared up a little watching the ceremony when they shuttered the Mustang plant. And gosh, I don't remember the last time I saw a lifted 4x4. Meanwhile the Chevy Volt is flying off dealer lots and are on a pace to be the best selling car of all time.
    Dude, you seriously need to step out of that echo chamber you live in.

Might not be that long. Vet sales are WAY down over the past 5 years:

http://i.autoblog.com/2011/03/09/report-corvette-sales-enjoying-modest-uptick-after-years-of-fr/

The Vet is even trailing the niche volt this year:

http://m.wired.com/autopia/2012/06/volt-v-vette/

I wonder how many yuppies under 35 you know personally? Not surprisingly I know quite a few. Most of us have moved to cities, a lot of us live in walkable neighborhoods with restaurants and bars, preferably near our places of employment or on public transport routes. A lot of us are 1 car households and we'd rather spend our income on technology, toys, entertainment/eating out, and travel than multiple car payments. When we see a grey haired baby boomer drive by in a porche or vet we're more likely to think he has ED than think he is really cool.
    -DoctorWho
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member Posts: 338 Member
    You won't see me drive by Siggy, I'm a red neck hillbilly that can't stand yuppies or cities (no offense to you personally, I have yuppies in my family.)!
    Jim Tom wrote: »
    You won't see me drive by Siggy, I'm a red neck hillbilly that can't stand yuppies or cities (no offense to you personally, I have yuppies in my family.)!

I love visiting the country, but would go crazy if I had to live there. To each their own :beer:

PS I obviously understand the importance of cars as transportation, especially in rural areas, my only point is their cultural significance seems to have declined with the younger generations.
    -DoctorWho
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    PS I obviously understand the importance of cars as transportation, especially in rural areas, my only point is their cultural significance seems to have declined with the younger generations
    Your out of touch with the younger generation, cars are still as necessary as they
    were when I was a kid esp if your dating I hope I don't have to explain this further.