Home Main Category General Firearms

What slugs to use in my shotgun?

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
OK you shotgunners/hunters/HD sluggers , what type slugs should I use in my Mossbergs for best accuracy? I forgetted if I want a rifled slug or plain in my Mossberg Mariner 500 with cylinder bore. Also have another Mossberg 500 with a long barrel I inherited, it looks like it has a choke insertion slot on the muzzle, but the chokes/tool were lost when I got it. However it may have one installed, I'll have to look next visit to my FLA house.

One of my next projects is buy some slugs and run some through these shotguns and see what I can/can't do with them.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I have a 20 gauge 870 Express that I rigged for sabot slugs, thinking it would be a great hog-killer out to 75-100 yards. It is the home defense configuration with the long magazine, and came with an 18-1/2" IC barrel. I replaced that with a 21" rifled barrel and put a receiver mount and a Burris Fast-Fire reflex sight on it.

Using just plain old Remington Buckhammer 2-3/4" sabots, it will easily shoot inside of a 4" circle at 100 yards, and I have, on several occasions, fired two shots that were almost touching at 100 yards. I have no doubt that it could shoot smaller 3 shot groups, if I was interested enough to bear down on it, and buy enough expensive ammo to put in more practice time. But it is a bit of a stomper, with slugs, and although I'm not all that recoil-sensitive, the performance is good enough to suit me, without spending more time, money, and pain to achieve minimal improvement.

That's all I've got on the subject of slugs.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    You want rifled slugs, for your smooth bores, Chief. Plain 'ol Remington Sluggers or the like.
    It'd probably be worth spending the $10 to get a new Mossberg choke removal tool, and check see which one is in it. It probably won't do too well if it has a full choke in there. IC or modified is generally the one you want, depending on performance.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Thanks. here is dumb question you guys, if one should shoot rifled slugs outta a smooth bore shotgun, what do you shoot outta a rifled shotgun barrel? Also which barrel is good for sabot slugs?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Thanks. here is dumb question you guys, if one should shoot rifled slugs outta a smooth bore shotgun, what do you shoot outta a rifled shotgun barrel? Also which barrel is good for sabot slugs?

Sabot slugs in a rifled barrel.
  • U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member

Here's the reasoning: With a smooth bore you need the slug to be rifled, since the smooth bore won't get it spinning to help stabilize the slug.
    With a rifled barrel, the sabbot surrounding the smaller diam. slug will engage the rifling to get it spinning, and is more aerodynamic than a rifled slug, and separates from the sabbot when is leaves the barrel. A rifled slug would lead up the rifling in a rifled barrel.
  • Zippo1313Zippo1313 Member Posts: 88 Member
    I know 4 guys with 500's for slugs 1 gun likes rem's 1 fed's 1 win's and 1 bren's best thing I can say is buy a box of all kinds available around u shoot 5 for groups then see what is best
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I use rifled slugs and they are good to 100 yds; but. I never tried them farther.
    Rifled barrel on a 11-87
    Thanks all you guys rock :cool2::cool: with all the good information and advice. Sure gets one into the ballpark of good choices to where personal choices can kick in and saves one some expenses and extra trial and error before you get there.

I poked around the Internet and there are a Zillion choices these days.

One in particular was "Disintegrating" slugs that shatter on impact/hard targets. I guess they would be OK for indoor use...HD I mean where over-penetration is an issue of concern.

Also, I think I'll stick with 2 3/4" shells instead of 3" magnum, what say you on this?

I mean why add the $$$ and extra recoil unless one needs the extra for something?
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Folks on this forum told me to try rifled slugs in my smoothbore 870. Overlapping holes at 50 yards with Remington Sluggers. I never knew shotguns were so accurate. The Williams Fire Sight made a big difference too.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Also, I think I'll stick with 2 3/4" shells instead of 3" magnum, what say you on this?

Good plan - 3" slugs hurt.
    Folks on this forum told me to try rifled slugs in my smoothbore 870. Overlapping holes at 50 yards with Remington Sluggers. I never knew shotguns were so accurate. The Williams Fire Sight made a big difference too.

Right now and probably will just keep it stock, my main HD/UCAD (up close and dirty) Mossberg Mariner 500. It has a black synthetic stock, 18 1/2" bbl and is cylinder bore and a bead FS. I call it Mr Scatter.
    bisley wrote: »
    Good plan - 3" slugs hurt.

I assume you mean on both ends :yikes::guns::jester:
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Here in Illinois, it was always shotguns with slugs until handguns were legalized about 20 or so years ago for deer hunting. From the mid 70's into the mid eighties, my go-to shotgun was a short barreled JC Higgins 12 ga. with a Williams receiver sight and high visibility front bead. It was good out to about 75 yards with its preferred Rottweil Brenneke load. It would keep all shots on a small paper plate (6") out to 75-80 yards.

I bought one of the first Remington 11-87's that I saw in 1987. Some time in the late 80's, fully rifled barrels were offered for Remington shotguns (at first) by Hastings and I got one for my new Rem 11-87. The early ones were only available for a forward mounted scope or with iron sights and that was my first experience with a fully rifled barrel. My Hastings barrel was made in France. I mounted an intermediate eye relief scope (IER) and successfully hunted with it for several years. Within a few years, Hastings was offering that barrel with a cantilever scope mount for a more traditional, over the receiver scope mounting arrangement. I quickly acquired one for my Rem 870 and it has accounted for many deer. Both of these Hastings barrels were used before somebody at Remington got with the program and started offering their own fully rifled barrels. My go-to load in both of these guns was the Lightfield sabot load.

When I got a Remington 1100 light 20 (LT - 20) I got a Hastings paradox rifled barrel for it with cantilever scope mount and put a Leupold 1x - 4x variable scope on it. It shot Brenneke's very well and has accounted for many deer. My self imposed max. range was about 125 yards with that setup. Several years ago, Hornady came out with the Hornady SST slugs and they extend the range on that gun out to about 150 yards.

When Remington started offering their own rifled barrels, I got one for the 870 that had adjustable iron sights. Some of the areas I hunt are rather thick and I'd rather use irons in those areas. When hunting the thick stuff, this is my preferred setup.

sluggunscopycopy.jpg

Several years ago, I picked up a fully camo'd Mossberg with rifled barrel, porting and a cantilever scope mount on the barrel. It has accounted for my farthest kill on a nice buck at about 175 yards. I was in a deer stand that I've used for about 30+ years, had a solid rest and know all the yardages to all the landmarks. This gun shoots the Hornady SST's under 6" to 200 yards.

mbergdeercopy.jpg

My latest slug gun is a Savage 220 that I reported on last fall in this forum. With it, I made a heart shot on a deer at about 150 yards from the same aforementioned deer stand. Once again, it was Hornady SST's.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?3109-Savage-220-delivers!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
    Dang shooter, with the extra bbl, you got a shotgun to use every day of the week that ends with "Day":up:

Nice shotguns.
    Dang shooter, with the extra bbl, you got a shotgun to use every day of the week that ends with "Day":up:

Nice shotguns.
    That's what happens to us fellers that live in danged shotgun only states. We collect shotguns, and multiple barrels like everyone else does rifles. I think I have 8 shotguns, and 14 or 15 shotgun barrels:bang:
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member

Nice shotguns.

Thanks, Chief. I'd rather be hunting with a centerfire rifle like I do 75 miles west of here in NE Mo., but that's Illinois for you. The way my shotguns are set up, I'm good to a little over 150 yards. That will have to do.
    :cool2:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    For a smoothbore, take a look at Federal's Tru-Ball slugs. IIRC, they do both low recoil and full tilt flavors. They do shoot very well.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    For a smoothbore, take a look at Federal's Tru-Ball slugs. IIRC, they do both low recoil and full tilt flavors. They do shoot very well.

I second that. I have had very good luck with the tru-ball line in both 12 & 20 gauge. I have not killed anything with one yet so no terminal effectiveness report but not because of accuracy, just lack of luck.

Sako