Home Main Category General Firearms

Sight Picture

Kenneth L. WaltersKenneth L. Walters New MemberPosts: 19 New Member
Thanks to modern medicine I have perfect vision. But I've noticed that occasionally the sight picture I get on my revolvers is absolutely perfect. Usually it is pretty good but occasionally it is exceptional. Normally occurs on sunny days. Not absolutely bright days but sunny. Almost never with any cloud cover. Also direction matters. If I'm shooting in the direction of the sun things never look as good as when I've about 90 degrees away from the sun.

BUT I've never been able to figure out exactly why some days are perfect and many are not. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    LASIK? Humidity can have a lot to do with clarity after that.

After I had my eyes done - it was a major correction - it was years before my chronic dry eye went away.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Kenneth L. WaltersKenneth L. Walters New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Cataract (sp) surgery. Both eyes about two years ago.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    Also direction matters. If I'm shooting in the direction of the sun things never look as good as when I've about 90 degrees away from the sun.

BUT I've never been able to figure out exactly why some days are perfect and many are not. Any suggestions?
    Your eyes are still sensitive to the sun with the new lenses, it my always be an issue.

But, seeing is better than not.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Are you in the shade? Direct sunlight? Facing the sun, away from the sun, profile to the sun...etc, etc, etc.

Your eye is a lens that focuses light to generate the image, obviously. How defined your vision clarity is (older eyes, surgically corrected or youthful and healthy) depends on a lot of light collection factors. Also the surgical process leaves variables in the calculation, too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers