Home Main Category General Firearms

To thin, or not to thin, that is the question

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
Friends, I'd like some advice. Over the last ten years, I've found myself in the position to finally acquire some of the firearms I've always wanted, like the .44 Redhawk, the Security Six snubby, and the SIG P220. My left-brain concern is, I seldom shoot them.

I'm not a hunter, I haven't gone camping in 20 years, and haven't gone hiking in at least ten. My firearms that see the most use are my .45s and my compact 9mms that I carry on my permit. And there are some that I'll never sell, based on their sentimental value, so those are automatically off the block, like my old Hardballer and the custom .41 S&W27 that Caleb did for me, or the AR15s that I built myself from the ground up.

So is it impractical to keep guns I never shoot outside of the occasional range trip? Please offer serious replies; love y'all bunches but I'm asking seriously and don't need the "Hell yes, keep 'em all!" stuff.

Thanks,
-- Larry
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    My heard has been thinned over the last few years too. I went from a bunch of guns I rarely shot to a hand full that I shoot often. I'll stand by you on this one Larry, just remember there is a such thing as sellers remorse!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Oh, I know! I bought my first Redhawk 25 years ago, then sold it a friend and regretted it ever since!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Who gets them when you are gone and will they appreciate them?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,988 Senior Member
    Seriously, after all the crap you gave me to buy that M&P and NOT sell the CZ-97 that I hardly ever shoot?!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Excellent question, Dan. Since we don't have children, my plan to this point was to leave my custom pieces to my best friend's son, and leave instructions for the rest to be sold to benefit NRA.

NRA Endowment Member
    Seriously, after all the crap you gave me to buy that M&P and NOT sell the CZ-97 that I hardly ever shoot?!

Quiet, you. As I recall, I told you to sell the CZ and buy another when you could!

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Quiet, you. As I recall, I told you to sell the CZ and buy another when you could!

Shh, don't trouble me with your truth and logic!

If'n I were you, I would consider selling the P220 and the Redhawk since both are still made, but keep that Security Six.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I am with Alpha. Do what you gotta do, but at least keep the funds dedicated to more/different guns and/or hobbies.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,512 Senior Member
    Having is different from needing/wanting. If you dont want the guns, the sell/trade them now when you dont need the $$$ ASAP. To me it doesnt make a dif if i dont shoot them alot. im at that point where i have more guns then time. I still love the hunt (to find the next toy) but nim putting that aside for now and focusing on my travels while my bod is still working. Most of the time people regret selling off their toys. some of the ones you listed wouldnt be that difficult to buy (again) if you sold them. imo, not shooting them isnt a good reason to sell them now. but thats something you will have to decide for yourself.

good luck.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I think if they are guns you have wanted and still do they are keepers whether you shoot them or not.
    Basically if they give you pleasure in owning
    Actually Shooting or carrying a gun to me doesn't always add anything.
    Some of my revolvers I don't have a use for, probably never will, but I like them.
    They are getting harder to come by and far more expensive.
    I hope to have a place for them when I can no longer use them
    Like you I missed the boat but I am still trying to catch it.
    The last gun I picked up is a good example just an odd duck model 48.
    I didn't need at all but I don't see them often and my kids probably won't at all
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    I am not one of those folks that once they buy a gun they keep them no matter what.
    If I am not using it, and I am convinced I won't use it in the future-I will sell or trade it.
    Sentimental weapons are completely different cat though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    With the current drift toward making firearm purchases more and more difficult, even though it's slight at the moment, I'm reluctant to dispose of any of the guns I own, particularly the ones that have no paper trail. Maybe it's paranoid, but the only way I'm planning to do anything with my small stash involves Cosmoline, PVC pipe, and a shovel!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    ... the only way I'm planning to do anything with my small stash involves Cosmoline, PVC pipe, and a shovel!

I wish I had done that instead of taking my entire collection on that fateful boat ride a year or so ago...
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    "Shh, don't trouble me with your truth and logic!"

With three sons, how many times have I heard that

As to selling off guns, I've only sold one gun in my life, thirty-five years ago. A Sauer (sp) single action .357 mag and I used the money from that to buy a Ruger stainless Security Six made in 1976.

My "collection" isn't worthy of American Guns flying in with a suitcase of cash so, leaving it to the NRA isn't a big deal. I choose to give them away as I see fit. My sons will get first choice, of course, but I'll give them to other peoples kids that I think will benefit from having them to use. Maybe that way I can spark a new bunch of gun nuts.

Hawk
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I'm probably keeping most of mine till I croak. I just don't get rid of fascinating machinery unless I have to.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I've made some selling mistakes along the way, and have learned my lesson, so I don't sell guns anymore. However, I don't buy anything I don't intend to use regularly, either. I've become somewhat of a purpose-driven buyer: I think of a specific thing I'd like to do, and then find the firearm that best suits that purpose. It keeps me from remorse on either side of a purchase/sale.

For example, I would like a hunting handgun, and I'd prefer .44 mag. I have a Ruger SBH, but it's old and single-action, and I would like a double-action to take over that job. I've settled on a Smith 629, so that will be my next purchase.
    The SBH is still a good backup/woods gun, so there's no need to sell it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Thanks, all. Lots to think about on both sides.

NRA Endowment Member
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    If there is $$$ to be made - then by all means then sell. But to sell just to clean house I don't think so, I like to think of them as little investments waiting to mature, some will not be moved in my lifetime though. If more of this CO shooting crap occurs how long will an average American citizen be allowed to own an AR-15 or similar firearm without major gov't intrusion?
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    What Marshall Dan told me in a pm a few years ago:

"You don't sell firearms"
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    If you don't shoot 'em or have a sentimental connection there is no reason you shouldn't trade up. Personally I have a few always ranked for trade just in case something pops. Just like you there are those I will never part with ... heck if I weren't going to be cremated I'd be buried with my first 1911 but I also have some that are just tools and if somebody wants 'em enough I'll be more than happy to fatten up the gun fund. Just make your trade list and triple check it ... sellers remorse sucks!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    I got rid of a couple and soon bought replacements.
    If it is not junk keep it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,149 Senior Member
    Never thin on the spur of the moment. I've moved quite a few guns down the road in the last few years, however, I always traded them for something I've always wanted or for something not seen often. In this manner I've increased the value of my collection significantly, which in the end will benefit those I leave behind...and give me some enjoyment in the meantime...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    I think we all go through "thinning the herd" in our lifetimes. I'm stressing through that now, too. My first time was about 10 years ago and was lucky that I only sold a couple I had as "trading material" before I came to my senses. I personally enjoy "owning" certain guns and style of guns. I have many that I've never shot but not because I'm collecting them but rather because I have others in the same style but different calibers that I use. Many look at guns as utilitarian and not as a piece of beauty and style. Others collect brands or models even though they don't shoot them. Only you can decide whether you own a particular gun for use, pleasure, or collectors value. Don't sell anything that you think, you'll regret in the future. If you must start, go with the ones you enjoy owning the least and shoot the least. Any multiples might fit in that category, such as same brand and model just different caliber. If you do start selling, it won't be long before you realize you've made a good decision or panicked over what you've sold. Hard choice, good luck.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    I started a "reallocation" of my accumulation over a year and a half ago. I've sold off several guns that saw little or no use or were from a practical standpoint a duplicate of somethig else. I do hunt and target shoot regularly so I took a hard look at my needs and wants and evalutated my "trends". It seems I have a cyclical pattern of shooting. My interests migrate from handgun shooting to rimfire shooting to centerfire rifle shooting on a more or less seasonal basis with an ongoing interest year around in concealable handguns.

I have bought some nicer guns than I formerly owned and for the most part I've been happy with the slight reduction in the herd, because I now have nicer guns including a few that I had wanted for a long time.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,411 Senior Member
    Are you out of space? Are you out of money? Are you selling anything that will have gone UP in value, or are you dealing with a lot of used Accords? Do you have redundancy? Will you lose capabilities if you sell? What are you planning to gain by doing so?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,581 Senior Member
    I have thinned the herd a few times in the past. But, it's always to consolidate and acquire the guns I truly want. Strengthening the herd, as it were, by improving the quality and expanding the capability.

There are too many to shoot all the time. But, when building a quality battery........sometimes there is some bench sitting. Ready to go when needed.

So, when you thin..........have a plan.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    I would not will any firearms to any organization--even the NRA. I am glad hey are there and I support them through membership, but they make a lot of money on fundraisers, events, endorsement kick-back, magazine subscriptions, etc. They way I see it (and it may be an odd logic) is just because they lobby for me to keep this property, I will not give that property up to any "corporate entity".

Will them all to friends--or better yet, will them to the inventory of a youth shooting program or something. Maybe a hunting club for disabled persons?
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Yeah, at this point and after some thought, I'll keep them. I don't need space and I don't need the money, I just need to shoot more often!

NRA Endowment Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Friends, I'd like some advice. Over the last ten years, I've found myself in the position to finally acquire some of the firearms I've always wanted, like the .44 Redhawk, the Security Six snubby, and the SIG P220. My left-brain concern is, I seldom shoot them.

I'm not a hunter, I haven't gone camping in 20 years, and haven't gone hiking in at least ten. My firearms that see the most use are my .45s and my compact 9mms that I carry on my permit. And there are some that I'll never sell, based on their sentimental value, so those are automatically off the block, like my old Hardballer and the custom .41 S&W27 that Caleb did for me, or the AR15s that I built myself from the ground up.

So is it impractical to keep guns I never shoot outside of the occasional range trip? Please offer serious replies; love y'all bunches but I'm asking seriously and don't need the "Hell yes, keep 'em all!" stuff.

Thanks,
    -- Larry

I have had some serious thoughts of "Do I really need all these guns?". I do have a very nice collection after many years of buying and selling but it seems like as I get older the list of what actually gets to see sunlight is steadily shrinking. I have thought too about selling some off to down size which I will probably do at some point but right now I think that I do not need the money, I enjoy just looking at the ones I don't really shoot and they are paid for so they don't cost me anything sitting there.

I do know that for the last 2-3 years my collection has actually gone down in number by 3-4 guns but the quality has improved substantiallly. I imagine when I retire I will probably sell off 50-70% of my collection just because I know that is what my daughter will do when I'm gone. So no I don't think it's impractical to keep what you have but I do think you will know when it is time to start handing some down and or selling some off. Of course if I sell them all of what the heck am I going to do with that big old vault I had installed?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,296 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I imagine when I retire I will probably sell off 50-70% of my collection just because I know that is what my daughter will do when I'm gone. So no I don't think it's impractical to keep what you have but I do think you will know when it is time to start handing some down and or selling some off. Of course if I sell them all of what the heck am I going to do with that big old vault I had installed?

Tell that daughter to get cracking on the path to your grandkids, you have enough for 10-15 of them grandkids I am guessing:beer:, better to hand them down.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11