Home Main Category Personal Defense

What would you do?

scarfacescarface MemberPosts: 263 Member
I am in Jacksonville, Florida this afternoon for work and had a surprise opportunity to have lunch with a co-worker that I have not seen in months. We talk on a daily basis, but due to our busy family and work schedules, we have not been able to meet up. After a nice lunch at the Landing in Jacksonville, this is where our day got interesting.

As we walked out of the food court at the Landing, at our 9 O'clock position is 3 males jumping a single male. The fight was about 25-30 yards from us and we quickly talked about our options.

1. Do we get involved and try to be the good samaritan?
2. Are these Thugs armed with anything besides their fists?
3. At 25-30 yards away are we in a position to help?

We conferred for about 10 seconds and the fight broke up with the suspects running off. UN-ARMED security showed up immediately and was asking questions to witnesses. We told them what we saw and headed back to the hotel.

My co-worker and I were not carrying since we are travelling for work and did not have guns with us.

After thinking about this situation for a while here are my thoughts.

1. We made a good decision to not get involved since we did not know what other potential weapons the suspects had.
2. Had I had been armed, I am not sure I would have ran 30 yards to help with the fear of looking suspicious to police if things escalated.
3. Had we approached them we would have been out in the open with zero cover.
4. It is time to get some formal training and take some defense classes in the near future. This has really lit a fire under my A$$.

I feel really bad for the guy that got jumped. He took quite a beating, but luckily walked away from the fight without any serious injuries. There were too many factors that prevented us from helping and we would have had a major tactical disadvantage from the start.

What are your thoughts on this incident?

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Since you ascertained that they aggressors were unarmed, I think you did the right thing, as badly as it turned out for the victim. If the aggressors had been LEOs, they would have identified themselves as such during the engagement.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    Heartless as it sounds, it ain't my problem.

You're showing up in the middle of things, and you don't know any of the people involved.

For all you know, the guy getting pummeled is the criminal fully deserving of what he's getting.

You aren't armed and don't know if they are. You also don't know how their abilities stack up to yours - and you're already outnumbered.

For all you know, you may end up pissing off a Columbian drug cartel.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    :that:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    He might have been a pervert getting a butt whipping he deserved, as well. To many unknowns to risk your life for in that situation.

You could have got knifed, killed or disabled by interfering. You just never know. I don't wanna sound not caring, but since it wasn't obvious exactly what was transpiring, you did the smart thing.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BillyDBillyD Member Posts: 191 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »

You're showing up in the middle of things, and you don't know any of the people involved.

For all you know, the guy getting pummeled is the criminal fully deserving of what he's getting.

You aren't armed and don't know if they are. You also don't know how their abilities stack up to yours - and you're already outnumbered.

+1

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member

Yep, EXACTLY
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    BillyD wrote: »

+1
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    +1
    You aren't a LEO and have no real power to enforece the law. I'd have called 911 from where I was standing and might be the best witness I could be if needed ... sorry but I ain't in the hero business in that situation.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Unless the situation began to turn deadly, IE the "victim" is down and unable to resist, and the attack is continuing with the obvious intent to do grave injury, I don't think I would have gotten involved. I don't think I would have been able to watch someone get beaten to death without getting into the fight, however. You never did determine if the attackers were armed, right? Even the security people would have been at a disadvantage against some gun-toting gangbangers, and they're getting PAID to do something. Most likely, they would have turned into radio Rambos, hiding and calling for armed backup.
    Jerry
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Call the cops. Be a good witness. Remember details.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    About remembering the details. I was working at a local restraunt trying to make a few extra dollars. A situation happened at the gas station next door, and the responding officer came over to get some more info, as they had been in earlier. I gave him a great description, down to the writing on the guys shirt. The LEO says " What are you , some kind of Navy SEAL or something?" I think he was miffed he had to do that much writing.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "The LEO says " What are you , some kind of Navy SEAL or something?"

My response: No, I am not a Navy Seal and neither I am a feminine hygiene product (D.B.) like your good self.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    :agree::roll2::roll2:

I know that he just thought I was a lackey at a food joint, but still, when your job is to get the bad guys, and you're getting a good, reliable description, I wouldn't care if they were a Navy SEAL or a hot dog vendor. If I can get the perp, I'll take the info from who ever I can get it from.

FWIW, the sheriff's department ended up with the arrest, not the city cops doing the investigation.:tooth:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I think you did the right thing to not intervene. Good would be to remember a description of the attackers for later report to police.

Inserting yourself into an unknown fight is not recommended. You have no idea who's the bad or good guy. Only exception to this is if a woman or child is being attacked by grown men, stuff like that. Someone who's obviously being assaulted.

Otherwise don't get involved, but remember details as a good witness.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Nothing to add here that hasn't already been said.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nothing to add here that hasn't already been said.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk

Is that one of them new hand held doohickeys/ personal communications devices?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Is that one of them new hand held doohickeys/ personal communications devices?

And, he doesn't have to take off his shoe.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net