Home Main Category Hunting

Finally The Slump is Over

justin10mmjustin10mm Senior MemberPosts: 688 Senior Member
It has been months since I shot a rifle last, I have just been doing other things that kept me busy. So this afternoon about 45 minutes before dark I grabbed the silver .243win. and jumped in the truck to take a little ride around the property. On my way back I spooked a small group of hogs at the edge of a field in some tall weeds. I bailed out of the truck and ran about 10 yards to get a clear shot around a misquite tree. Just before disappearing into the brush the last hog, a small boar, turned broadside and stopped, big mistake! He dropped at about 50 yards with an offhand shot. The 95gr. Ballistic Silver Tip hit him square in the shoulder and did not come out the other side. I'm going to go dig it out and see how it held up.

021.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,743 Senior Member
    Outstanding! I love hog hunting. That's a nice boar you have there.

The .243 is also a fond cartridge of mine. I'd like to see that bullet if you find it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    It has been months since I shot a rifle last, I have just been doing other things that kept me busy. So this afternoon about 45 minutes before dark I grabbed the silver .243win. and jumped in the truck to take a little ride around the property. On my way back I spooked a small group of hogs at the edge of a field in some tall weeds. I bailed out of the truck and ran about 10 yards to get a clear shot around a misquite tree. Just before disappearing into the brush the last hog, a small boar, turned broadside and stopped, big mistake! He dropped at about 50 yards with an offhand shot. The 95gr. Ballistic Silver Tip hit him square in the shoulder and did not come out the other side. I'm going to go dig it out and see how it held up.

021.jpg

Justin I love those Ballistic Silvertips. I load them in my .250 Savage and my .257 Ackley Improved. I have also used them in my .280 Remington and my .270 in the form of factory ammo. The last hog I shot, we found the remnants of the bullet deep into the spine. The petals of the bullet base opened up like a rose in full bloom and wreaked havoc on that hog.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,841 Senior Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bet you're glad you took the rifle with you on your ride! That's a nice sized hog for eating. Not too big so it should be good tender meat. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I agree Tennmike. I wouldn't give you a dime for a whole truck load of big ol boars. I like a sow or a choate. No bigger than 100 pounds if possible.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    My internet has been out for a few days so I haven't been able to reply. A little update. I got a coyote off of the pig carcass the other day with the same gun at 255 yards. Then yesterday afternoon I sat in my box blind and shot two more hogs. I feel like I'm on a roll now. Smacking a few varmints sure helps to pass these long summer days waiting for fall to get here.

I think I'm going to start carrying the CZ .223 for a while, the silver .243 has gotten enough love for now. :jester:

0016.jpg

0032-1.jpg
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,743 Senior Member
    Man, you're tearing things up! Awesome!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Dude - that is awesome. Great work on getting back in a grove and clearing out some pests while you're at it. You sound just like me, btw. Once I get a kill or two on a gun, I move to something else just because you feel like you're neglecting your other kids. :hug:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,348 Senior Member
    Great way to break the slump. Nice piggies.

Did you find the bullet?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Yeah, I found the bullets from the first pig right under the skin on the off side after going through both shoulders.

I didn't recover any from the other two, the small pig was a spine shot and the bullet exited. The big sow was shot sharply quartering to me (see the entrance hole in pic) in the top of the shoulder. It busted the shoulder and broke some ribs going in, went through the lungs and was lost in the guts.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,522 Senior Member
    Yeah, I found the bullets from the first pig . . .
    Then where are the pictures? :popcorn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

My internet has been out for a few days so I haven't been able to reply. A little update. I got a coyote off of the pig carcass the other day with the same gun at 255 yards. Then yesterday afternoon I sat in my box blind and shot two more hogs. I feel like I'm on a roll now. Smacking a few varmints sure helps to pass these long summer days waiting for fall to get here.

I think I'm going to start carrying the CZ .223 for a while, the silver .243 has gotten enough love for now. :jester:

It just don't get no better n that! I know what you mean when you say "The Slump is Over!!! I felt the same way when I started killing pigs again. Only problem is that where i currently am hunting hogs there aren't many coyotes. They're everywhere else in this county but we've never seen one there at that particular place.

And I know what you mean about carrying another rifle. I like to blood all my rifles. I currently only have 4 unblooded. Well, one was used when I got it so it may well have been blooded in its past life.
    I left the .223 in the safe because it has been raining and I didn't want to get it rusty.

This morning at 250 yards. He has a belly full of pork. :tooth:

0044.jpg
    Here is the bullet from pig #1.

Nosler CT .243 95gr Ballistic Silver Tip

014.jpg
    Here is the bullet from pig #1.

Nosler CT .243 95gr Ballistic Silver Tip

014.jpg

That looks about the same as the bullet I recovered from the hog I killed with the .250 Savage with 115 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip. Those bullets ROCK!!!
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,205 Senior Member
    So, is there a general consensus that the .223 is "enough gun" for wild boar? Enquiring (ignorant) minds want to know. Also have a .308 (H&K mdl 91) I could use, but that thing weighs a ton.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
    So, is there a general consensus that the .223 is "enough gun" for wild boar?

Um, no. I feel the faster .22 centerfires have a definite advantage over the .223rem. It will kill them, but I want more zip.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    So, is there a general consensus that the .223 is "enough gun" for wild boar? Enquiring (ignorant) minds want to know. Also have a .308 (H&K mdl 91) I could use, but that thing weighs a ton.

Vic, a lot of people hunt them with .223s around here, but that's no sign it's a great rifle for them. However, since they are more of a nuisance than desireble, I don't worry. I will use what I have handy at the time. But if you have a .223 with a tighter twist that will shoot 65+ grain bullets and you are good at shot placement, it will work.

Having said that, the .308 is excellent for hogs. I have used my 8x57 Mauser with 150 grain bullets and this is very similar to a .308, and it dropped a hog in its tracks, Bang Flop!!!
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Justin10mm, Snake284-1, and all the rest of you fellows from Texas, here Ya'll just having too much fun over there.. I need to move to Texas, and join in the fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Dude - that is awesome. Great work on getting back in a grove and clearing out some pests while you're at it. You sound just like me, btw. Once I get a kill or two on a gun, I move to something else just because you feel like you're neglecting your other kids. :hug:

Thats funny Six gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and BTW you have the ultimate hunting weapon, an F-16,:rotflmao: No offense to you Sir, I am just ribbing ya a little, I admire and respect what you do for me, Thanks for the protection!!!!
    No offense taken, though I don't know if 20mm rounds are legal for taking game here :tooth:
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    No offense taken, though I don't know if 20mm rounds are legal for taking game here :tooth:

Well, if the game warden was able to catch you, we would all have bigger problems...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Well, if the game warden was able to catch you, we would all have bigger problems...

They've been known to write down tail numbers and show up at the closest base, ticket in hand.

I doubt 20mm rounds are legal to hunt with in any state... Heck some states won't let you use a .223 nor an in line Black powder rifle.