Home Main Category Personal Defense

Guns in the news - Armed citizen saves the day!

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
http://www.brownwoodnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9180%3Aauthorities-release-information-regarding-deadly-peach-house-rv-park-shooting-video&catid=35%3Anews&Itemid=58

Also notable from the story, the deputy was able to return fire with his "assault rifle." Never heard of one of them in the news being wielded by the good guys before :tooth:
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    Good job by the deputy, and the quick-thinking resident, too. :up:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I like Sheriff Grubbs statement about 2A rights.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    An example of being well armed. I usually have an AR, a shotgun and at least two handguns in my RV. an attackers only mistake would be letting me get to them!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    God Bless Texans ;)

Sorry to hear of the loss of life, but if not for the armed citizen and the responding officer, this would have been a lot worse.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That was a good writeup of the incident. Glad the officer got an assist from an armed citizen to take the bad guy down. The sheriff sounds like a good one, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    The report says that autopsies will be performed on all 3 bodies.... What for? I have never understood that. It is obvious to see and say "yep the gunshot wound killed them." Same with people that commited suicide by hanging. What is the purpose? Serious question btw.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    The report says that autopsies will be performed on all 3 bodies.... What for? I have never understood that. It is obvious to see and say "yep the gunshot wound killed them." Same with people that commited suicide by hanging. What is the purpose? Serious question btw.

Easy answer. If I could make your death look legitimate, would an autopsy prove me wrong? More than likely, it could..
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "The deceased has three bullet wounds and sixteen stab wounds. He was wrapped in 20 feet of log chain and found at the bottom of a river- - - - - - -worst case of suicide the sheriff had ever seen!"
    Jerry
    Video of the interview of the armed citizen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1n8cmwhIY&feature=player_embedded#!

At about the 1:13 mark, he says he was shooting from 165 yards away. With a .357 pistol. And he hits the guy. Then he shoots 3-4 more times, and hits him a couple more times.
    Let me say, I would love to buy this guy a beer or steak dinner and shake his hand, and I believe he deserves a medal from the sheriff's department, and he probably saved at least a couple of people's lives, but I have a hard time believing the distance. It's possible, I guess, but man....165 yards? I'd be impressed if he'd said 50 yards. Either way, good job, Mr. Stacy.
    Was it a pistol or rifle? A rifle's a little easier to hit with, but still it's a good shot.

The article SirGeorge linked to at the top of the page says handgun, so I've been assuming that news source is correct. But they might be assuming that every .357 is a handgun. Who knows....
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    Yeah, I saw that and deleted my post because it could have been. I'm not doubting that it's possible, but who knows if the articles are correct. Most folks would be hard pressed to make the shot with a pistol, and would be less than steady with a lever-action rifle, probably.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Yeah, I saw that and deleted my post because it could have been. I'm not doubting that it's possible, but who knows if the articles are correct. Most folks would be hard pressed to make the shot with a pistol, and would be less than steady with a lever-action rifle, probably.

Count me as "most folks." Except the term "hard-pressed" might be a little generous for me.....:jester:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    Video of the interview of the armed citizen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1n8cmwhIY&feature=player_embedded#!

At about the 1:13 mark, he says he was shooting from 165 yards away. With a .357 pistol. And he hits the guy. Then he shoots 3-4 more times, and hits him a couple more times.
    Let me say, I would love to buy this guy a beer or steak dinner and shake his hand, and I believe he deserves a medal from the sheriff's department, and he probably saved at least a couple of people's lives, but I have a hard time believing the distance. It's possible, I guess, but man....165 yards? I'd be impressed if he'd said 50 yards. Either way, good job, Mr. Stacy.

Just read a writeup on that:
    http://www.guns.com/texas-gun-owner-shoot-out-10236.html

"Conner may have had excellent cover against the Officer Means, but Stacy was in a flanking position that gave him the perfect vantage point. Stacy recalled, “I had a side view of that man the whole time standing there, and I thought, I’m fixin’ to put one in him, if I can.” "

Fixin'... heh

"Stacy raised his gun, fired, and landed one hell of a shot – by his estimate “a good 165 yards” – with a pistol (we do not know the make or caliber at this time). Stacy wasn’t even sure if he could make the shot at that distance: “I hope this magnum bullet’ll hold up, you know, this distance. And sure enough it did and I hit him in the thigh.”"

Someone work the math on the drop. Will a .357 mag drop a foot and a half (COM to thigh estimated) at 165 yards?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Ask the guys who ring the gong at the southeast shoot regularly at 180-200 yards with handguns. I've seen plenty of hits made with .357's, 9MM's, .40 S&W, etc. I think Ned even connected a few times with his puny little .327!
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member

I get where you're coming from but don't forget the toxicology report. Especially on the shooter.

Edited to add: In my state, any death unattended by a physician, state law requires an autopsy.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,616 Senior Member

Generally, the law requires an autopsy on all deaths without an attending physician present. It's a good requirement, BTW, because without an autopsy it's impossible to tell really what the cause of death was, although it may be obvious. Lots of legal reasons as well, like insurance/inheritance reasons.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    At least it happened in Texas. If it happened in Philly , the man would have been arrested for reckless endangerment , attempted murder , and a whole slew of other thing if the cops didn't shoot him first.

165yds with a .357? Even Elmer Keith would take his hat off to him!
  • RCinLaveenRCinLaveen New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    An autopsy is necessary along with a reconstruction of the event to determine angle of entry of a bullet, number of times shot, type of weapon shot with (to determine who shot who) and a lot of stuff that folks need to accurately reconstruct and answer what really happened. Insurance and inheritance has already been mentioned.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2