Home Main Category Hunting

Weatherby 240 Ultra Mag rechambered

13»

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Sounds like an idiot. Must smell of cabbage.

He was rather cute, for a dude.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    He was rather cute, for a dude.
    Yea, but you say that to all the dudes.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Yea, but you say that to all the dudes.

Ok, you got me..
    bml wrote: »
    He was a pretty cool dude, often volunteering himself to be subjected to weird firearms experiments like attempting to set his shirt on fire.

You mean that sucker that I got to dial in my .338 Federal?
    -Thomas Paine
  • bmlbml Senior Member Posts: 1,075 Senior Member
    You mean that sucker that I got to dial in my .338 Federal?

Yeah, that was the guy.
    scottd wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness is often out dated and curdled.

This is like watching a bunch or **** trying to hump a door knob.....
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Ugly toe at that!
    No way anyone could make a long range shot by using their toe.:worthy:
    Was that a sitting/leaning position?:tooth:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,474 Senior Member
    Mako. . .You've got the wrong Weatherby.

Yes, you've got a MKV, but you've got the wrong bolt. As has been stated, you're .240 has the case head diameter of a .30-06. As I remember the MKV bolt head, the ejector is a plunger placed to press on the outer edge of the case. I believe that opening up the bolt head would not be a possibility. You'd need to replace the entire bolt - if it would even fit in your action - what I don't know is if you've got a scaled down "Mini MKV" , or a big action with a small opening in a large bolt face. If the latter is the case, you could scrounge up a big MKV bolt from somewhere, but you a still going to have to figure out the magazine.

Better to buy the rifle you want in this case than to rework that particular platform.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    If it takes a 30/06 case then a .35 Whelen or a .338/06 would make a nice rifle with a bit of thump to it. They aren't a .460, but are respectable cartridges for anything in North America.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    If it takes a 30/06 case then a .35 Whelen or a .338/06 would make a nice rifle with a bit of thump to it. They aren't a .460, but are respectable cartridges for anything in North America.

If he indeed did smell of cabbage it was because of his camo uniform. He literally wore vegetation. Hence his forum nick, "the Schrub"

Oops! I quoted the wrong post, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,253 Senior Member
    bml wrote: »
    Would you believe there used to be a fella that frequented this place that could make hits at those distances using his toe?

Meh. Glad he's gone. Our charity could only last so long. He'd put a rattle can paint job on a nice gun then post crappy pics of it here looking for approval, and we'd have to say, ''Gee........... yeah............ That looks swell.'' :roll:

Felt sorry for the guy.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    :rotflmao:
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Meh. Glad he's gone. Our charity could only last so long. He'd put a rattle can paint job on a nice gun then post crappy pics of it here looking for approval, and we'd have to say, ''Gee........... yeah............ That looks swell.'' :roll:

Felt sorry for the guy.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee wrote: »
    Sounds like an idiot. Must smell of cabbage.

If he indeed did smell of cabbage it was because of his camo uniform. He literally wore vegetation. Hence his forum nick, "the Schrub"

Now I got it right! I don't know how I quoted Jerm on this.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    But I never found out whether he actually had an Ultra Mag version of the .240. If so that must be a barrel burner.
  • MakoShark222MakoShark222 Member Posts: 70 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Mako. . .You've got the wrong Weatherby.

Yes, you've got a MKV, but you've got the wrong bolt. As has been stated, you're .240 has the case head diameter of a .30-06. As I remember the MKV bolt head, the ejector is a plunger placed to press on the outer edge of the case. I believe that opening up the bolt head would not be a possibility. You'd need to replace the entire bolt - if it would even fit in your action - what I don't know is if you've got a scaled down "Mini MKV" , or a big action with a small opening in a large bolt face. If the latter is the case, you could scrounge up a big MKV bolt from somewhere, but you a still going to have to figure out the magazine.

Better to buy the rifle you want in this case than to rework that particular platform.

Now there folks is my answer! Good job explaining it.:up:
    Now there folks is my answer! Good job explaining it.:up:

Yeah, but you haven't told him your action is 9 lugs. That's what you told me anyway. If it's 9 lugs then it's the regular big bolt with a small opening. The 6 lug would be the smaller bolt.
    Mako,
    Okay, seems like there has been a restart, which is good.
    Throwing out distance claims in a vague manner will never be without questions or challenges here.
    It is not that we don't believe it can be done effectively on first shot connections.
    I enjoy LR shooting and LR hunting.
    You threw out some info to us on game kills, but never answered any of the questions.
    I have shot Ruger's that were capable of making kills on big game beyond 600 yards.
    You did tell us you have a 3-9 Weatherby scope on your Ruger 300 WM and were using Nosler and or Sierra bullets (Which bullet type by Sierra and Nosler?).
    Your rifle is zeroed at what distance?
    So, on the head shots, the distances were...?
    When shooting head shots your shooting position was...?
    Your 600+ yard kills were head shots or heart/lungs?
    How many shots per animal? Shooting position? What was the wind speed and angle? How did you adjust for bullet drop and wind correction?

You asked me how far I was capable of making a head shot. I have never done a head shot to date.
    I sure don't have a problem shooting for the head, but I would rather shoot for a larger target area myself.
    To answer your question though, IF I were to make that kind of a shot, in good conditions, prone with one of my XP's or MOA's that I use for hunting, it would be beyond 300 yards though for a max. I am just an odd duck when it comes to weapons choices:jester:
    Since I asked you specifics, I sure don't mind stating some either.
    This is, IF, the conditions are good and the animal is calm and I am calm.
    Chamberings I would be willing to use for that would be in a rifle (only have one) 6.5x47 Lapua. But I have never used it for hunting though.
    In Specialty Handguns: 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 Leopard (WSM), 284 Win, 7mm SAUM, 7mm WSM, and 7mm Rem Mag Imp. Bullets will either be Berger VLD's, Hornady A-Max's, or JLK's.
    All of my zeroes are at 100 yards. All of these rigs have been chronographed, and the drops confirmed way past the distances being discussed. Each rig has a drop chart attached.
    All of the scopes either have a MOA reticle and or target turrets, or both. They are 5-20, 6.5-20, 6-24, 8.5-25 or 8-32 in terms of magnification. I have used a 3.5-15, 4.5-14, and a 4-16 for hunting but typically I use the higher magnification variables.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Ernie, remember the advice in Matthew 7:6?
    Jerry
    Yes, thank you.
    Just giving a chance for a restart.
    Teach wrote: »
    Ernie, remember the advice in Matthew 7:6?
    Jerry
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've always admired people like Ernie that actually can make long range shots. I've played around with long range attempts long enough to know how difficult it is. I've shot two three shot groups of 7/8" with my Sako 7mm rem mag at a range from a concrete bench and several minutes between shots and at 12x magnification. Last season I wanted to shoot a doe that walked out in a clearcut at a ranged 285yds and from sitting on the ground with my shooting sticks and the 3.5x10 Burris on my .35 whelen set at 10x, my crosshairs went from the top of her back, down to her belly with every beat of my heart. Needless to say I didn't take the shot and I was aiming for a much larger area than the head.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Thanks fishead!
    I enjoy shooting at distance.
    Next week I will be doing a lot of field shooting under time and physical exertion out to and beyond 1K. I will have a good spotter, which will be very, very helpful!

Jerry,
    Looks like you were right.
    That being said, putting good info out there for lurkers is worth it, irregardless of the OP.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I've always admired people like Ernie that actually can make long range shots. I've played around with long range attempts long enough to know how difficult it is. I've shot two three shot groups of 7/8" with my Sako 7mm rem mag at a range from a concrete bench and several minutes between shots and at 12x magnification. Last season I wanted to shoot a doe that walked out in a clearcut at a ranged 285yds and from sitting on the ground with my shooting sticks and the 3.5x10 Burris on my .35 whelen set at 10x, my crosshairs went from the top of her back, down to her belly with every beat of my heart. Needless to say I didn't take the shot and I was aiming for a much larger area than the head.

:agree:
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 139 Member
    I hit a deer in the head at a lasered 280 yds. It was an accident, and I had estimated the range to be 310. I don't know that I'll ever try for the head, but there is no doubt as to it's effectiveness when done right.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I hit a deer in the head at a lasered 280 yds. It was an accident, and I had estimated the range to be 310. I don't know that I'll ever try for the head, but there is no doubt as to it's effectiveness when done right.

One year while pheasant hunting in Wisconsin, I shot a squirrel in the head from the hip with a Ruger standard .22lr and the guys that I was walking the railroad tracks with were awestruck. I acted like it was a common occurrence and let them think that I really was that good. The odds of my ever doing that again are pretty dang slim.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    sell me the 240 and buy a cannon:-)