A friend in Alaska shot this bear yesterday

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Using a .300 Win Mag and 200 grain Barnes LRX bullets. Said he started out hunting sheep, but ended up with the bear instead.

ToddGrizz2012.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    That be right nice.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Color me green with envy. Very, very nice.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I know almost nothing about bear hunting, but isn't that one a bit small for a brown bear?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Part of it is the angle, part of it is being spring they have lost hundreds of pounds in hybernation. Look at the head and paws, pretty good size. Also the hunter did not use the well known trick of kneeling like 10 feet BEHIND the bear to make it look huge
    e...

It's mid August. Even in Alaska. It is a smaller bear. Not small, just smaller. I take nothing away from this guy. It's a magnificent trophy and will make a beautiful rug. He is on the hunt of a life time and I'm jealous in the most positive meaning of that word. Not everyone will kill a B&C. And if he's got the time and money he can always try for a real McCoy dandy the next time.
    And you're right about photo manipulation. Heck, I've got a pic of me holding an 8 1/2 lb Walleye out at arms length that makes it look like a new state record.
    Frankly I just glanced at the bear and spent the rest of the time looking at the country behind him. Kodiak Island is on my bucket list.

OP, kudos to your buddy. And thanks for sharing.

Edited to add: I realize the OP made no mention of location. Kodiak is just where I want to go.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, he wanted a sheep and said he would have bought his .35 Whelen (I think it was) for bear. Range was 80 some odd yards.

BTW, he works up there (Fort Richardson). I don't know exactly where in AK he hunted, but I'd guess not real far from there.

Is that where centerofmass5.56 is at?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I'm not experienced with judging the weight of an Alaskan Brown Bear, but I have had a fair amount of experience with with North Georgia Black Bears, and I can tell you that it can be difficult to accurately judge the size/weight of one in the field. For example......Run one up a tree and it will weigh about 500 pounds. Shoot it out, and when it hits the ground it suddenly looses a lot of weight and will come in at about 200 pounds! Field dress it and start dragging it down the ridge through laurel thickets and over rock faces and suddenly it gains a lot of weight and will come in at about 1,000 pounds! I strongly suspect that Brown Bears are about the same! If this pictured Bear had to be drug any distance, I guarantee you that it weighed at least 3,000 pounds :yikes:
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    That's a big sheep!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    That's a big sheep!

Kind of odd looking, too.. Where are the horns?
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    OOOPS, don't have a clue how I came up with "Spring" (my summer has just evaporated with work :cuss:). Anyway never ment to imply it was a big one either. Just not THAT small and not the weight they are at pre-hybernation when they have consumed everything in sight... Like you said, still a great trophy that I'm totally jealous of.

Well, it gets better because I read what you wrote and thought, "Yep, they come outta the den skinny and starving...2...3...4...hey, wait a minute, (quick calendar check)" lol So that makes 2 of us.

Woodsrunner, The same shift in the gravity paradigm happens on similar ridges here in AR. We used to have to take the entire carcass to a check station. But now they let us quarter large game and check them on line.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    That is just sweet, I ould love to bag a nice bear but we ain't got none of them critters around here.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    The huge bears in Alaska that you see pics of are the Costal Brown. That looks more like a Grizzly, which is more likely to be found in a area with sheep. That is a pretty good size for a grizz.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    The bear makes your friend look like a skinny little dude!! 600 lbs of claws and teeth ain't small!! Congrats to your friend!!
    I'm sure, knowing him he wanted a sheep. Don't know the full story, but he got something for his efforts.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Beautiful trophy, and that bear has some big claws. :up: He doesn't seem too disappointed that he got a bear instead of a sheep. :tooth:
    Maybe he can get a sheep next year; those things are hard to hunt. They like the nose bleed heights of the mountains.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

I helped a friend pack in his camp when he went on a solo archery sheep hunt while we were stationed up there. He said he finally got within 50 yards of a legal shooter, but if he would have let go of the rock he was holding to draw the bow back, he would have plunged several hundred feet to his death... :yikes:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • HarrygunHarrygun New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    SO did he cook the bear afterwards. I am really interested in knowing how the bear meat tastes?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Harrygun wrote: »
    SO did he cook the bear afterwards. I am really interested in knowing how the bear meat tastes?

Bear is similar to pork, and must be cooked thoughly, good but not one of my favorites, but that's just me!!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Bears and pigs are two of the animals that carry tricanosis (sp?), a parasite that can only be killed if the meat is cooked to well done.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    cpj wrote: »
    Man what pretty country. Hope to hit the Powerball tonight....

Oh, and the only thing I know about bears is, they do nasty, vile things in the woods.

Then they wipe with Charmin, right?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Then they wipe with Charmin, right?

No, they use a spotted owl, or a rabbit. Whichever is within reach at the time. :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Oh, and the only thing I know about bears is, they do nasty, vile things in the woods.

That only applies to the little ones. The big ones do those things wherever that dang well please.
    Jerry

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member

Not if they are in zoos.
    Some threads get incrementally worse.

This one is getting excrementally worse.

Thanks, Chris Pierre.
    Jerry

OK, lets get back to the er.....bear-facts :tooth:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Harrygun wrote: »

Black bear meat is palatable....Grizzly, not so much...I tried some Grizzly meat that was gifted to us by a friend upon his return from Alaska... It reeked so bad in the pan it never made it to the plate...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    The huge bears in Alaska that you see pics of are the Costal Brown. That looks more like a Grizzly, which is more likely to be found in a area with sheep. That is a pretty good size for a grizz.

Yea what JB said. Think of it like a common every day deep south whitetail that is commonly shot by the thousands, vs the giant bodied, massive racked, thick necked private guided monsters of Alberta or Iowa. Both are still the same type of deer, but location can have a might big effect on end results.

As to eating them, from what I've been told (never ate any myself) the interior "grizzly" like this one, tend to taste a lot better then the massively fish-fed (and often times lots of DEAD rotten fish, and wales, and seals that wash up) "brown bears". They're the same species, but the Alaskan's always refer to interior as grizzly, and coastal as browns (Kodiak's being specific to Kodiak Island, same with Kamchatka bears). Griz have a varied diet like a black bear, berries, rodents, tubers, carrion, young ungulates, whatever they can get into their mouth
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Yea what JB said. Think of it like a common every day deep south whitetail that is commonly shot by the thousands, vs the giant bodied, massive racked, thick necked private guided monsters of Alberta or Iowa. Both are still the same type of deer, but location can have a might big effect on end results.

As to eating them, from what I've been told (never ate any myself) the interior "grizzly" like this one, tend to taste a lot better then the massively fish-fed (and often times lots of DEAD rotten fish, and wales, and seals that wash up) "brown bears". They're the same species, but the Alaskan's always refer to interior as grizzly, and coastal as browns (Kodiak's being specific to Kodiak Island, same with Kamchatka bears). Griz have a varied diet like a black bear, berries, rodents, tubers, carrion, young ungulates, whatever they can get into their mouth

FWIW, the only grizzly I saw while I was in Alaska was about 1/2 mile up the mountain side....... And that was plenty close enough for me. Used to have a pic of it, but it was about identifiable as WMG's bear....