Something totally new to me.

wolf049wolf049 MemberPosts: 217 Member
My brother picked up a Ruger Old Army (ROA) at one of the LGS that I had taken him to and after going out and shooting it, I decided that I had just had to have one myself. It just so happends that on our way home, a good friend of mine called me and asked what I was doing. After telling him how much fun I had shooting my brother's R.O.A, he told me he had one and for the right price he would sell me his. As you can guess, we settled on a price that we both could live with :yesno: and here she is.

RugerOldArmy.jpg
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Henry Lee

Replies

• ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    Nice! But I would hate to have to clean it!
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    That is just a cool looking gun. If I had more time to play with BP guns, I'd have one. As it is, I haven't shot my Great Plains rifle in a year and a half. :bang:
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • wolf049wolf049 Member Posts: 217 Member
    Dude.....let me tell ya, You don't go out and shoot just 6 rounds and bring it home to clean. It took me forever to clean! This is my first time cleaning and shooting BP, so I don't have all the answers/short cuts of cleaning yet.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    Thanks Bp. You know, shooting BP pistols is a total BLAST. I used to think that BP guns, esp. pistols, had nothing to offer me, until now. I had a great time shooting this gun and it was more accurate than I had imagine. Hopefully you have some friends that have one and you could go and play with it, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Cool. I've heard of people taking those stainless BP guns and cleaning them in the dishwasher after removing the grips. Not sure if I'd do it but feel free to try it and let us know how it comes out.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    Cool. I've heard of people taking those stainless BP guns and cleaning them in the dishwasher after removing the grips. Not sure if I'd do it but feel free to try it and let us know how it comes out.

That's how I clean small bike parts covered in grease, and though it gives my fellow Triathlon team members heart attacks, it works great. Just oil 'em back up when your done LOL.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    calebib wrote: »
    I would probably consider it if I had a dishwasher. I know it's hard to believe a home in the modern world without a dishwasher but it's true.:tissue:
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Those Ruger BP revolvers are cool indeed and yes, as you said they are very accurate. I know you will have a lot of fun with it for a long time. :)
    Thanks bullet. I'm glad you decided to stick around/come back. I injoyed reading your threads and comments. :cool:
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Hot soapy water and a bore brush + pieces of rag. Dry it in the oven on low heat or better yet, as I do when nec, use a hair dryer. I have one of the old ones that were for a head bag with a hose to it. Works well not too hot and can be directed to area of need.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Thanks NN, I'll keep that in mind.
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    wolf049 wrote: »
    Thanks bullet. I'm glad you decided to stick around/come back. I injoyed reading your threads and comments. :cool:

Meeting the guys at the southeast shoot made up my mind for me. That was a bunch of great guys and I really enjoyed myself. I also enjoyed Teach and we had great conversation and Tennmike was helpful with my 303 and the generosity of the guys in letting everyone shoot different guns was really cool. I really enjoyed the food Saturday evening and our conversation. :beer:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's a stainless gun and you are shooting 777. Outside of the nipples being an issue because of the corrosive caps the rest of the gun should be an easy job. Ballistol is king for BP guns.
    http://www.ballistol.com/

Anyway nice iron. You suck!

Thought I wasn't getting a "You Suck". Thanks Wambli !
    On the container of the caps it say's they're none corrosive. So, that shouldn't be an issue either. I did find a couple extra set of nipples on ebby and they should be here and my brothers shortly. Because Ruger discontinued the Old Army, finding parts for this gun is getting harder.
    Thanks for that link to ballistol, never heard of it. What's your opinion on Thompson/Center Bore Butter?
    - Richard Henry Lee
    bullet wrote: »
    Meeting the guys at the southeast shoot made up my mind for me. That was a bunch of great guys and I really enjoyed myself. I also enjoyed Teach and we had great conversation and Tennmike was helpful with my 303 and the generosity of the guys in letting everyone shoot different guns was really cool. I really enjoyed the food Saturday evening and our conversation. :beer:

Glad to hear it. I wish I could of been there. A lot of these guys seem to be great people, we may not agree on everything but what fun would that be if we did?:jester:
    - Richard Henry Lee
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    congrats on your new toy.

good thing is SS. Sort of easier to clean imo.

ever think about getting a conversion for it?
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    ilove22s wrote: »
    congrats on your new toy.

good thing is SS. Sort of easier to clean imo.

ever think about getting a conversion for it?

Thanks.
    Yes I have and I got a little excited about it until I did a little research on it. I found out that one; you have to have a gunsmith install it (Desregaurd what you read about "Drop in cylinder"). Two; even after you have it install buy a gunsmith, the cylinder doesn't quite line up with the forcing cone of the barrel. Maybe it's just that one mfr's, I don't know. When I read that, I kind of lost interist in that idea. Besides, I've got a 45 Colt already but not a BP pistol. Thanks for that idea though. :up:
    - Richard Henry Lee