Prairie Chickens!!!!!

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,962 Senior Member
We have a flock of about 50 birds in one of our pastures, we're seeing them every day
...I hope they hang around until season opens, I have taken one in all my years of bird hunting, and would like to have one mounted...
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    I have never even SEEN a prairie chicken in the flesh, much less taken one. I hope you get your shot!

Meanwhile, I'm fretting the drought you guys are having over there since I plan to head back for the pheasant opener in Nebraska (Oct. 27?). The scouting reports from my buddy's father-in-law who lives out near where we hunt isn't looking good. He hasn't seen many birds at all. How are the rest of your upland birds looking in KS?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,962 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    How are the rest of your upland birds looking in KS?

Locally, In spite of the dry weather, quail are looking pretty good, enough popcorn quail to indicate a double hatch....and we're seeing more pheasants that we've seen in a couple of years. Considering the amount of water we've been hauling for cattle, we've probably been carrying the local game birds as well.
    Statewide...I suspect that hunting will occur in pockets wit the northern part of the state being the most productive...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    That's really cool. I hear they taste like, uh, well, ... chicken?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    That is really cool w/ a capital Cool!

We used to have Prairie Chickens on the high plains of Texas, in fairly large numbers, but I have not seen one in 20 years. Doesn't mean they have disappeared, just that I done have access to any areas where they should still be roaming. I am not even certain if Texas still has a season for Prairie Chickens.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,601 Senior Member
    While sneaking into position for a coyote calling session I almost stepped on a prairie chicken- it came exploding out of the grass under foot ,also had to restart the old ticker, nothing like a 3lb quail to come blowing out of the ground to get your attention. They seem to favor pastures with no trees in them.
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    They seem to favor pastures with no trees in them.

That seems to be the case....Last time I hunted them it was on foot with dogs...a real death march.
    It seems that the old timers used to pass shoot them when they flew out in the mornings and in in the evenings...I think I'm going to try that tactic...
    about half this flock seems to be made up of half-grown birds, so I'm not sure if they are of the Greater or Lesser variety....
    We need to have a $2.50 Prairie Chicken tag this year...
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    That's really cool. I hear they taste like, uh, well, ... chicken?

They were a staple for folks traveling west on the Santa Fe trail....