I have this gun....

Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas MemberPosts: 56 Member
Well I have this weatherby 30 -06 vanguard in wood and blue steel.
Now I am not real attached to it, but sort of need to know what to do with it , casue I really do not need that caliber gun.
Love to sell it , or trade for something I can use , but a rebarrel to a wildcat sounds a bit fun any ideas, thoughts here?

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    6.5/06. I believe Teach has a reamer for it too.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,050 Senior Member
    .338 - 06...Jerry can do that too...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    What do you want to do with said gun?
    +1 on the 35 Whelen

Or you could always make it into a .270 :runsintobombshelter:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    All the above, or another one I've built several of- - - -.25-06. Any of the short-action cartridges will also function through that action with the simple addition of a magazine spacer, which opens up the field considerably. There are several wildcats based on the .308 case, as well as a bunch of factory rounds that use that parent case. I don't know if the Vanguard action will cycle the full-grown magnums like the H&H series, but that would also involve modifying the boltface for a belted magnum cartridge.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tjsvet50tjsvet50 Member Posts: 147 Member
    I second Jerminators suggestion. 6.5 06. At 300 plus yards it out does the 270, and is pretty darn close to 264 Win Mag performance.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member
    6.5x57 AI with a fast-twist barrel. The Ackley shoulder should give you about the same capacity as an unmodified .30-06 case, plus the shorter body will allow you to seat long VLD match bullets farther out in the case without running into issues of the magazine being too short.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Kevin M ThomasKevin M Thomas Member Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you gentlmen, for the info,
    now the big question is it an easy change over and is the brass a bear to get?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,038 Senior Member

Lapua makes 6.5x57 brass. You'd need a standard sizing die, the Ackley Improved sizing die for after they're fire formed, the Ackley Improved seating die, and a chamber reamer. The sexy way to do it is to have the chamber and the dies cut with the same reamer, but so long as both are generated from the same chamber blueprints, it's close enough for government work.

The 57mm Mauser case uses the same .473" case head as the .30-06, so the only modification required would be screwing on a new barrel.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,211 Senior Member
    .35 Whelen and 25/06 is available as loaded ammo at most sporting goods stores. The others is just a matter of resizing with the right dies and doing a bit of trimming, etc.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    .338 - 06...Jerry can do that too...

..... Teach can fix any firearm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or make anything for a firearm.......... or modify a firearm......... TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    ..... Teach can fix any firearm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or make anything for a firearm.......... or modify a firearm......... TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
    6.5/06. I believe Teach has a reamer for it too.
    "It is what it is":usa: