Drought

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,411 Senior Member
I had to make a decesion about my cows. The grass is gone and hay and feed is really high. I decieded to cull hard and try to hang on to the rest. I sold about a third of the cows and all of the bulls at a local sale thusday. Selling some of them was hard as they were young and good cows to go to slaughter but had to be done. I have to remind myself that it is a buisness but I started this with one cow and has taken many years. Today we got 2.5 inches of rain and is still raining, maybe I should have waited. I know there are worse things out there like poor health and such but it has been a trying last few years and my dipper is a little down tonight. Tomorrow I will get up and get at it again but just blowing off some tonight. I hope others are getting some rain out of this.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    We went through this last summer. Hot and dry weather, for months on end, is very disheartening. I lost half of my big, beautiful oak trees and most of my lawn, and all that was nothing compared to what some of my family, who have livestock, went through.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    It's hard to have to sell off like that when it's taken years to build up a herd to where it needs to be genetically. I hope the rain you got will help sustain the grass to help you through the winter and that you get more rain in the future. You kept a core of good cows, and that will help with the rebuilding when this drought breaks. Good luck for next year.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Not good to hear your having to do that, good luck with the herd in the future.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I here I am fretting how bad of a pheasant season it could be back in Nebraksa because of the drought. It's easy to lose perspective when you are physically removed from the issues and to forget that real people have real livelihood problems tied to this incredibly tough weather. Let me be the first to appolgize for that kind of think and to say sorry for your tough decision and the losses you've had to endure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    KansasHunter...we're in the same boat...we got about the same amount of rain over the last couple of days and things have greened up considerably, but it's still going to take 14-15 inches of rain to make up for what we've lost these last two years. Normally dependable water sources are gone and we're hauling water daily. Lots of folks went on about how nice the mild winter was, but the lack of snow really hurt us. At any rate, the ranch is going to be selling off a bunch of cattle we have no real desire to sell (except for that one bull, I'm going to be really glad to see go) in the next few weeks.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    Hopefully Isaac will send you some rain.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    I hope you get more rain out of the hurricane, we have been very fortunate in my neck of the woods, very timely rains with the corn and the hay, the truck drivers I know say it is dismal in most other parts of the midwest, hang in there. Most of the farmers by me are conflicted feeding cows $8 corn.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11