Home Main Category Personal Defense

AR-15 Foregrip/Light/Gripping style

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,495 Senior Member
I've been noticing quite a few folks using a support arm straight grip, with the thumb either on top of the handguard, or occasionally wrapped around. Kinda like the guy in the foreground here...
4694160233_0f8a64b905.jpg

I guess the Magpul Angled Foregrip is designed to make that easier?
MAGPUL_AFG-1_ANGLED_AR-15_FORE_GRIP-Color-D.jpg

I on the other hand tend to shoot like this fellow. But right-handed and without the chicken wing. Or at least I try and avoid the chicken wing...
Adams_Arms_Andre_Knecht_Chiropractor_3-Gun.jpg

So, the grip with the thumb-over: what's the advantage? Does a Magpul AFG really make it easier? What about using a stubby vertical grip as a handstop?

Also, with the thumb-over grip, how does one manipulate the weapon light? Pressure switch? Or can you still hit the base switch?

I'm thinking about putting a MOE grip with some rail on my AR to mount the light, and maybe a foregrip, and was wondering if changing my gripping style would make that much difference (and take more thought as to how I'd change my setup).
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,024 Senior Member
    Call me. Or, I'll call you.

Too much to type.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is in full auto fire that those details make a world of difference.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Call me. Or, I'll call you.

Too much to type.

Please do...
    I've been noticing lots of younger gunners shooting with the thumb over or even the hand on top.
    Is this the new stance/grip?
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    It is in full auto fire that those details make a world of difference.....

Never fired a full auto AR, it does however speed up your transition from target to target, and basically pins the muzzle in place during recoil, instead of letting it come off target like a magwell grip would.

AFG.
    PhilandSons031.jpg

Standard Handguard.

PhilandSons038.jpg
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Digging the shades bro....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    My problem with this new style of holding the gun is that it is not compatible with my hardware and long arms. I have a carbine length gun with standard sight tower and short handguards. If I reach forward to straighten out my arm, I am holding barrel (ouch, the burning!). If I bring my hand back and put the thumb over the top, then I'm chicken winging it.

Till I get a new upper, I have to shoot old school.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member

Too much to type.

You act like you have anything better to do......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Eli wrote: »
    Never fired a full auto AR, it does however speed up your transition from target to target, and basically pins the muzzle in place during recoil, instead of letting it come off target like a magwell grip would.

AFG.
    PhilandSons031.jpg

Standard Handguard.

PhilandSons038.jpg

Thus why the AR-15 / M-16 platform is so great, the modular approach can be tailored to individual needs and shooting styles, whichever is more comfortable to the shooter and fills their shooting needs...

This is where I eat crow, since add ons in this case do enhance the shooting experience and the shootin iron !!!!!..
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I was about to say..............how 'bout a shotgun?

;-)
    I was about to say..............how 'bout a shotgun?

;-)

No, but an M-203 is an excellent accessory, I am giving serious thought to moving to warmer climes, where I would be allowed to play with those toys again..
    I was referring to your dislike of shotgun accessories but acknowledgement of accessory benefits to the AR.
    AR-15-shotgunaa11v22.png

Oh, I thought you were referring to one of these...
    Nah.
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    Well, I've been shooting long guns for over 40 years and I've always used the forward-hand-under-the-foregrip style. Talk about muscle memory.:yikes:

Aside from the fact that it just FEELS natural, it is also a grip that can be used from different shooting positions.

PhilandSons023.jpg

PhilandSons047.jpg
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    It took me a little while to get used to shooting with a forward vertical grip. At first I had the grip back close to the magazine well and then someone showed me the difference with putting it forward on the rail. It does allow for better recoil management and subsequent target acquisition..especially with a CCO and target discrimination exercises...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."