Home Main Category General Firearms

llCharles Daly shotgun

scarfdudscarfdud New MemberPosts: 27 New Member
friend of mine has a Charles Daly 12 guage auto loader that is chambered for the 3 inch shells, when he shots 2 3/4 shells it becomes a single shot. Any one out there with one of these? I cleaned it real good for him n told him to try the 3 inch shells n see if it works better.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    Shouldn't make any difference, however, Charles Daly is an importer, not a manufacturer, so a better description of the shotgun in question (gas or recoil operated?) pics might help as well. Some auto loaders have to have the rings rearranged to accommodate different length shells...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Good luck finding parts...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • scarfdudscarfdud New Member Posts: 27 New Member
    it is a gas operated, checked the manual for tear down, didn't say anything about changing anything like my old broning did. Did find a post on utube of a guy with one that got mad and he chunked it into the lake.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Some older 3" gas operated shotguns do not do well with light 2.75 shells.

For instance the owners manual for my Rem mod 58 said shoot only 2.75 magnum & 3" magnum shells.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    scarfdud wrote: »
    it is a gas operated, checked the manual for tear down, didn't say anything about changing anything like my old broning did. Did find a post on utube of a guy with one that got mad and he chunked it into the lake.

This is not the first time I've heard of folks with a poor opinion of CDs imported products. FYI - CD went out of business a few years back...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The issue he is describing sounds like he is using low power target ammo, since the shotgun is geared more towards higher power cartridges, ie 3", it will balk at low power target loads............. Use normal powered 3" cartridges and most likely it will eject like a champ......

Edited to add: there is no gas adjustment, you need to use ammo that will produce enough gas to properly cycle the action.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Doc thats what I figured n told him to get some hotter loads. The online manual says either one, but I think he is using light loads in it.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Good thing he tried it out instead of showing up for dove hunting
    with a single shot and much frustration.
    NN wrote: »
    Good thing he tried it out instead of showing up for dove hunting
    with a single shot and much frustration.

Yep you hit it on the head, he is ready to go dove hunting. He waited to the last minute to have me look at it.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    Get some 1.5 oz loads. Should work just fine. The only auto shotgun I ever owned worked fine even with moderate loads, but would not cycle with lightweight 7/8 oz loads.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    scarfdud wrote: »
    Yep you hit it on the head, he is ready to go dove hunting. He waited to the last minute to have me look at it.

"If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would ever get done":uhm::rotflmao:
    "It is what it is":usa: