Johnny rebJohnny reb MemberPosts: 715 Senior Member
Who's used one and is there any factory guns. Being made for a lefty

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,559 Senior Member
    Are you having one built?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,937 Senior Member
    Not a lefty, but this is all I could find.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l/classic-select-grade
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Nice rifle
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yes, I 'heart' Kimber Rifles. :-)
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    If I have too have one built I will but it will take time don't have Any spare actio. Too start with suggestions on what action too start with twist rAte barell length are all welcome need left handed action
    I would use a LH Rem 700 long action.
    Twist rate I would use is a 1-9 twist.
    Look for a used LH Rem 700 LA that is chambered for a cartridge with a .473 case head (25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, etc).
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Near Seligman AZPosts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I'm with Ernie.....that would be the way to go..look for a used 700 at the LGS or pawn shop, lots of times the LH guns can be had for a bargin simply because they are harder to move.....some bottom metal and a good stock and your on the way....Ken
    Yeah, what THEY said. ^
    Thanks for the information should I look for a good Barrell and have it reamed out too 280 or just buy a barrell
    Personally, I'd start from scratch with a new custom barrel fitted to your action.
    Buy a new barrel.
    What distances do you intend to use this?
    Both typical and max.
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    Thanks for the information should I look for a good Barrell and have it reamed out too 280 or just buy a barrell
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Want it too hunt with but also able too punch targets 700 yards plus
    McGowen Barrels would be a great choice that won't break the piggy bank.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Who's used one and is there any factory guns. Being made for a lefty

I've got a gun that I had built that is a regular .280 Remington that I've threatened to ream out to an Ackley Improved. But so far I haven't done it. It shoots pretty good like it is as a standard .280 Rem. and I shoot NBT 150 grain bullets at a shade under 3000 FPS in it. That is within 150 or so FPS of a 7mm Rem. Mag. loaded to the same pressure.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    I would start with the 160 grain Accubond, 162 A-Max, 168 Berger, etc. for bullets once you get it rolling.
    Make sure to have your smith throat it for the 168 Berger or 162 A-Max. Also, you will need to decide if you are going to shoot it as a single-shot (longer throat) or have it throated to use a magazine.
    Want it too hunt with but also able too punch targets 700 yards plus
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks for all the information left handed actions are hard too find around here but would definitely like too be able too use the magazine too feed the rifle which I don't know if that can be done withe the. Berger they are long
    They will work fine.
    Are you wanting a tactical type stock with detachable magazines or a more traditional magazine?
    Just make sure your chamber is properly throated for the bullet of your choice with the OAL limitations that come with magazine use.
    Be patient and you can find a LH long action. Pay attention to classified ads in various forums, gun stores and pawn shops.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks for information pro ally go with a more traditional stock because want too use it for hunting as well as long range shooting
    I would use a LH Rem 700 long action.
    Twist rate I would use is a 1-9 twist.
    Look for a used LH Rem 700 LA that is chambered for a cartridge with a .473 case head (25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, etc).

I was just reading through here and saw this. It is excellent advice. The Remington 700 is an excellent action and very strong and accurate and there's all kinds of aftermarket stuff available for it. The Remington would be my first choice. However, if you run across a good LH long action Savage, that would work too. There's also Ruger. They would all work fine, but like I said, I agree that the Remington would be the best choice of the three, but then that's my opinion.
    A stock like this would be a good one. It may need some fortifying in the forend area though.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1103125025/bell-and-carlson-medalist-rifle-stock-remington-700-bdl-long-action-with-aluminum-bedding-system-synthetic

Type of hunting: Plains, mountain or both?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    No fortifying needed in the forend. They are good to go. Just bed the action in the stock, even though it has an aluminum bedding block. No matter the stock, you always bed the action.
    Live in north east Tennessee so a lot of mountaio. Hunti g. But have places too reach out and actually stretch it's lefts so too speak
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

:drool2:

That would be a nice companion to my Rem 700 CDL SF Limited in .280 Rem...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Good to know.
    I had read where one guy opened up his forend for a larger tube diameter and noticed the forend are had holes/air pockets in it. He filled them in and was satisfied with the stiffness after that. It sounds like his efforts may have been a waste of time in the big picture.
    No fortifying needed in the forend. They are good to go. Just bed the action in the stock, even though it has an aluminum bedding block. No matter the stock, you always bed the action.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

That's good advice Zee. And the B&C is a quality stock. I have one that's about 24 years old now and still holding fine. It's rugged and rigid. I'm not sure how it stacks up against today's Medallist, but I'd bet it's as sturdy if not more so. I wish I had a dozen of them.

I have several synthetic stock rifles, a custom Mauser in .280 Rem., some Remingtons, a Savage, and a Howa. Of the factory stocks, the Howa takes the prize. When I built my .250 Savage on the Howa, I left the factory stock on it as it was very rigid. It's almost as rigid as my B&C stock. My Gun Smith bedded the .Howa action and Krieger barrel into it and it shoots well within MOA or a lot better on average. It's something to think about if you ever have a Howa Rifle and decide to make it a custom.