"Penny" Auctions

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
I saw an advertisement for on-line gun auctions in a major outdoors magazine. Increments as little as a penny. If i remember correctly, usually the auction charges a per bid fee as well. Has anyone gotten a deal on one of these or are they scams?

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,788 Senior Member
    Haven't seen them for firearms, but they're mostly a scam. You pay like .25-.50 per bid, but price only goes up by .01 so usually get thousands of bids. More like buying a raffle ticket than an auction.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    I don't know about the gun-specific ones, but the regular retail goods "penny auctions" like Beezid.com are indeed a load of crap. The actual "price" for the item may look cheap, but when you pay per bid (anywhere $0.55-$.90 per bid on the aforemetnioned site,) you can easily get hit for a big chunk of change if there's any sort of action on the item, which of course there almost certainly will be. It's basically a gigantic false advertising legal loophole sold as "Vegas style bidding", wrapped up with a bogus selling price that people voluntarily get sucked into.

In short: don't do it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Zeekler or zeegler auctions just got hammered by the feds. They had them fooled fof awhile, but uncle augar finally vot them

I had an Uncle Augar.....a really nice guy when he wasn't snockered....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Well someone just figured out a perfectly "legal" scam.

Would you play every week this "lotto" numbers..1-2-3-4-5-6?

Gut reaction will be "not way" odds of those numbers in that order to come up are huge, well they are not, they are to us because we have given a meaning to those numbers, in lotto land it is just a bunch of balls on a transparent box, the odds of 1-2-3-4-5-6 coming up are the same as with any other 6 numbers, the penny auctions are IMO harder than the lotto.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,731 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    They had them fooled fof awhile, but uncle augar finally vot them

Please don't talk with your mouth full.