Home Main Category General Firearms

She kicks like a mule.

rbsivleyrbsivley Senior MemberThe Heart of DixiePosts: 1,259 Senior Member
Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknow

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    rbsivley wrote: »

That video is several years old but I bet his shoulder still hurts like it was yesterday!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Question for my, for lack of a better word, smart friends on here.

The guy in the vid said that it had ten times the amount of recoil energy of a 30-06, he also said that it weighted 50 pounds.

Would this then, be the equivalent of shooting a 5 pound 30-06, or are the forces involved more complicated than that?
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Franklin, Ky.Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    When they calculate the recoil energy, the weight of the gun is factored in. So, when he says it has 10X the recoil energy of a standard 30-06, that means it would be equivalent to firing 10 standard 30-06 rifles, at the same time.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Probably like a mule on a combination of steroids and crack cocaine.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • 30-30shooter30-30shooter Member taxachusettsPosts: 224 Member
    i wanna see someone shoot a watermelon or 10 with one.
    A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.-Clint Eastwood
  • EliEli Senior Member Attalla, Alabama.Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »
    When they calculate the recoil energy, the weight of the gun is factored in. So, when he says it has 10X the recoil energy of a standard 30-06, that means it would be equivalent to firing 10 standard 30-06 rifles, at the same time.

Hmmmmm........I kinda want to try it. :tooth:

I quite enjoyed running a couple of full magazine through JBOhio's .450 Marlin and Fishhead's .45-70 Marlin.

Although I will admit that Joe's .450 did knock my ring off of my finger.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,253 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

Same here. I'd try it.

I'd also like to see the damage it did downrange
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Forget trying it: I want to see someone take a southern whitetail with it! Time to work on a hollowpoint design and get that puppy in the field!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Shooting that one from the bench is an exercise in stupidity. Standing, from a bipod it wouldn't be all that bad, IMHO. The case looks like it wouldn't hold a lot more powder than a .50 BMG, but the bullet has more mass which would increase the recoil somewhat. Tennmike's big 50 doesn't kick all that bad, even if it did dot my eye the last time I fired it!
    Jerry
  • steffen19ksteffen19k Member Posts: 255 Member
    HERE's some of REAL fancy bangy shooty flashy stuff for ya...
    Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

I quite enjoyed running a couple of full magazine through JBOhio's .450 Marlin and Fishhead's .45-70 Marlin.

Although I will admit that Joe's .450 did knock my ring off of my finger.[/QUOTE

No kidding? I never knew that. Here, I thought you were all tough, and stuff. :tooth:

You were still grinning like a schoolgirl the whole time you were rapid firing it!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    His 240 grain powder charge is right at the same for a 50 BMG load with a 650 grain bullet. My rifle is 28 lbs. So his rifle at 50 pounds and that bullet would produce about two or three times the recoil as mine. One thing I noticed. His brake is the same diameter of the barrel. If it had a brake 2X the barrel diameter, the powder gases would have around 4X the surface area to work with and reduce recoil considerably.

I've been kicked by a couple of mules and horses, and can say with certainty that they kicked with much more terminal effect on me than my .50 BMG. The .50 has never lifted me in the air and planted me app. 10 feet behind it. :tooth: (And why is it that when people find out you have broken ribs they think it is funny getting you to laugh? :silly:)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • HakkonenHakkonen Member Posts: 251 Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Forget trying it: I want to see someone take a southern whitetail with it! Time to work on a hollowpoint design and get that puppy in the field!

Unless you're looking for a unique and innovative method for making whitetail paté, that's not really a deer rifle. At a bare minimum, that's a T. rex rifle. :P
    "If money is speech, then no money means no speech." --Bill Moyers

Money is not speech, corporations are not people, and wealth does not trickle down.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    A 240gr powder charge with a 2400 or 3600gr bullet really adds no substantial recoil to the overall equation. It's all bullet in this case!
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers