Dove Season

justin10mmjustin10mm Senior MemberPosts: 688 Senior Member
Dove season is just around the corner. Who is getting ready for opening day? What boom stick will you be using this year?

Today I picked up a box of clays and two cases of Rio high brass 20ga. 1oz. 7 1/2s from Cabela's. The old Stoeger double barrel will get the nod.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,219 Senior Member
    You know it. This year, I'm waiting until the last minute to scout. Got a new spot that the state DOW rep told me was worth checking out, but that the birds show up at the last minute. One good thing I know about this spot for certain is that it's AWAY from the crowds. Another nice thing: my Browning Citori White Lightning 20 GA. will get in its maiden hunt.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Another nice thing: my Browning Citori White Lightning 20 GA. will get in its maiden hunt.

:yousuck:
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    You know it. This year, I'm waiting until the last minute to scout. Got a new spot that the state DOW rep told me was worth checking out, but that the birds show up at the last minute. One good thing I know about this spot for certain is that it's AWAY from the crowds. Another nice thing: my Browning Citori White Lightning 20 GA. will get in its maiden hunt.

Will the new "family member", Bolt, be on a maiden hunt as well?
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    My Browning Citori XS will be my BB slinger of choice. Going Friday to the range to shoot some skeet and practice up!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    Either my Ugartechea 20 gauge SxS or the 16 gauge Brittany SxS...got a couple of cases of ammo for each...should be enough for 5 birds or so...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    I will start with my Remington mod 58 sportsman, this is the first season
    in years that has gotten me excited about dove hunting.

May not sleep for the next 15 nights.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    I will most likely use the Stoger 20 ga SxS.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Plenty of doves around here. I will either use my Weatherby Orion Sporting Clays model, in 12 ga, or my Charles Daily Delux 20 ga........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    Well, dove season here in FL opens in phases: October phase, November phase and then December. My season is down the block and around the corner still...

But I will take what has done in many-a-dove the last few seasons: my near perfect condition 1973 Beretta AL-2. If I can pull off another 70 yard smashing shot like last season, I will be elated.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Test fired the mod 58 today, it locks up with those Win heavy game loads I bought.
    It will be a 11-87 primary this season, maybe try the 887 if I get near to a limit.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Dove season is just around the corner. Who is getting ready for opening day? What boom stick will you be using this year?

Today I picked up a box of clays and two cases of Rio high brass 20ga. 1oz. 7 1/2s from Cabela's. The old Stoeger double barrel will get the nod.

I don't have a place for hunting doves right now. The guy that lets me hog hunt doesn't want anyone shooting his deer or any of his birds, that includes doves and waterfowl. He's kind of a bunny hugger in that respect. He just wants his hogs exterminated.

But I'm always ready if something comes up. I don't keep shells around the house except for a half case of 20 gauge bird shot I have here. But if I get an invite, it only takes me about 20 minutes to go up to Wally World and get me a half case of 12 gauge 7 1/2s. I use my old Citori with a mod. choke screwed in the bottom barrel and the improved C in the top. If I decide to take my Mossberg 500 20 gauge, like I said, I have about a half case of shells here left over from my former life.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    NN wrote: »
    Test fired the mod 58 today, it locks up with those Win heavy game loads I bought.
    It will be a 11-87 primary this season, maybe try the 887 if I get near to a limit.

Why u use Heavy loads for dove? Shoot, I would get some light field load 7 1/2s and use the Mod. 58.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    I'm locked in to travel west to my favorite place on the 3rd weekend. We have very good recent reports on the dove numbers, and I have a case of Rio 7-1/2's for my Stoeger M2000 12 gauge.
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    Why u use Heavy loads for dove? Shoot, I would get some light field load 7 1/2s and use the Mod. 58.
    Well, that is what they call them, it is only a one ounce load.

But, the gun is a 3" mag version and needs more gas than the 2&3/4" version needed. Some lighter load do not
    let it function.

The best load was Remington shurshot heavy dove velocity 1255 fps 1&1/8 oz and I used 7&1/2 [R12HD75].
    Even with that load the gas port had to be plugged.

It appears that Remington no longer makes that load, at least I could not find them on their web site or
    for sale anywhere on the web.

I'd use promotional shells if I could.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    If someone would invite me.... hint to you all you guys north of Miami....

I would take my 1100 trap / sporting clays gun with my short barrel and 2 3/4" AA trap loads. All day long... If it flies, it dies.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Went and shot a coule rounds of skeet this afternoon with a buddy of mine; we have concluded the birds have a fighting chance this year! Man I am way out of practice.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    NN wrote: »
    Well, that is what they call them, it is only a one ounce load.

But, the gun is a 3" mag version and needs more gas than the 2&3/4" version needed. Some lighter load do not
    let it function.

The best load was Remington shurshot heavy dove velocity 1255 fps 1&1/8 oz and I used 7&1/2 [R12HD75].
    Even with that load the gas port had to be plugged.

It appears that Remington no longer makes that load, at least I could not find them on their web site or
    for sale anywhere on the web.

I'd use promotional shells if I could.

Oh OK Ned, I was thinking the other way, that it won't eject and load the heavier loads reliably. Yeah, lots of shotguns are like that especially some of the older gas operated ones. They are more load specific. Also, some of the old recoil guns can be contankerous about the load level too. Too hot or too cold and they don't function well. That's the beauty of the S&W 1000, The Remington 11-87, and some others. Their gas piston is self compensating to different loads.

I know more than one person that has more than one Rem. Model 1100, one for Magnums and one for field loads.
    on my way in a few minutes.
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 507 Senior Member
    I'm really envious of you guys further south and west. Not many doves in WV. Just not enough cultivated farm land.
    When I grew up in Texas in the '50s it was dove hunter's heaven. I remember many occasions in maize, wheat and oat fields right after the grain was cut, when there were hundreds of birds in the sky around me. Some of the scenes rivaled photos I've seen of Argentina hunting.
    I still have my Ithaca 20-gauge Model 37, modified choke, which brought many a bird to the table.
    Have a great hunt this weekend!
    The hunt was good for some, but, some of us got the
    wrong spot and mostly watched.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    Got a dove report from a couple guys from work who shot one limit (15) , the other shot 14 and ran out of shells... they were on a walk in hunting sunflower field north of Manhattan this AM.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    I plan on taking the new pup out on Wednesday to see if we can walk up any doves.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,219 Senior Member
    As a sportsman, I really hate southern Nevada. That was the worst dove opener imaginable. I didn't fire a single shot and those who did didn't do so often. Tons of wild sunflower planted where we were and two standing bodies of water, yet hardly anything flying. Then, of course, I made the mistake of calling my buddy in Nebraska to see how he was doing/did. He's two hours ahead, so I knew he would be out tearing it up. He got his limit well before the time I called and I listened to rest of his family finish out their limits in the background I sat on the phone with him for 20 minutes, watching a dead sky. I'm only bitter because I considered flying in for the opener beack in Nebraksa and decided against it at the last minute. Instead, I got the full Nevada bird hunting experience of staring at a flightless shy, cursing at myself for buying 4 boxes of ammo and driving two hours to do so.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,096 Senior Member
    My Beretta AL-2. I still have tons of reloaded shells. Phase 1 opens here in FL in early October.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    We went out opening morning (my dad, my 3 boys, 2 bros. in law, their boys, and my bro). We had a good time and met with moderate success. Went out again this eve with jus my boys and got a few more. It sure is a good time and beats sitting in front of the TV.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    A farmer harvested his wheat and birds were everywhere near the lake,I saw 25 people in line at wallyworld waiting on licences. My 20 guage was ready but my aim stunk.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!