On a mission......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,731 Senior Member
....to get a couple of deer for the Take A Kid Hunting day which is in 2 weeks time. The meat has to be at the butchers no later than tuesday so he can make the sausages.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends who you are and how you look at it I guess) we have only confiscated one deer this year due to someone breaking the rules. Normally we would have 2-3 by this time.
So, armed with my trusty 7mm08 I am heading into a well hunted area tomorrow to see if I can get a couple of animals for the pot.

Will let you know when I get back whether I was successful.

Yeah yeah, I know its tough when you have to go hunting instead of staying home and mowing lawns etc.........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, I know its tough when you have to go hunting instead of staying home and mowing lawns etc.........

You are a cruel man.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Good luck my friend, and payback during your summer is comming BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BLOODHOUNDBLOODHOUND New Member Posts: 5 New Member
    Orchidman should be along soon,with a full report.But i can tell you he missed one deer at 15ft.It maybe cause he just found out his tikka 708 is not as accurate as my sako.He is getting a sticker made for his rifle which states just that for the next 12 months.I am going to enjoy hunting even more with him in the next year! Are you there orchidman?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    BLOODHOUND wrote: »
    Orchidman should be along soon,with a full report.But i can tell you he missed one deer at 15ft.It maybe cause he just found out his tikka 708 is not as accurate as my sako.He is getting a sticker made for his rifle which states just that for the next 12 months.I am going to enjoy hunting even more with him in the next year! Are you there orchidman?

5yds approx. Damn thing was so close that even with the scope set on 3.5X all I could see was hair when it popped its head up on the other side of a clump of waist high pampas grass. My Tikka T3 Lite may not be as accurate as your Sako ( Yes we did have a shoot comp and I lost..............until next time) ............But there aint nothing wrong with my stalking skills!!!

Was hunting through 7-8yr old pines with large clumps of pampas between the trees. Was in full on 'stealth mode' when I heard a rustling coming from the other side of the clump in front of me. Quietly lifted my rifle to the shoulder just in time to see an ear pop up followed by the rest of the head. I kid you not, the distance was less than 6 feet!.
    In the scope all I could see was out of focus brown hair. Couldnt tell what part of the animal it was so didnt take the shot. The deer jumped over the clump then stopped about 5 yds away.........still couldnt make out details in the scope so moved my head of the rifle to 'boresight' along the side of the barrel. Just got the barrel lined up with the back of its head ( it was facing away from me) and as I squeezed the trigger it ducked and took off. A clean miss!!!!

Re the 'Battle of the 7mm08's, T3 lite V the Sako.
    I have a sticker printed which will be gracing my T3 Lite. It says................ " I was too cheap to buy a $3000 Sako and bought this Tikka instead. I spent the difference in price on a VX3 3.5-10X50 scope instead of settling for a much cheaper scope."

Yes..............,yes................ That should do it until the next comp.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,348 Senior Member
    Alec -

When you get them that close, that's the time when you leave optics out altogether and aim down the edge of the barrel like an old crossbow. I've been surprisingly accurate at very close range point shoooting just like that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    Sometimes they are just too close, you will agree. Last one I shot was at 60 feet and ran 100ft.
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
    Going back this weekend with Bloodhound......................I can see a hunting competition on the horizon...............

Akll I have to decide is what calibre to take.......

7mm08
    22-250
    Maybe I should blood the 10.75X68...........

On second thoughts maybe I should leave the '10' at home...........I remember a former member getting a hard time over shooting a deer with a similar calibre a few years back........
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    On second thoughts maybe I should leave the '10' at home...........I remember a former member getting a hard time over shooting a deer with a similar calibre a few years back........

Don't let that hold you back - anyone is likely to be given a 'hard time' over anything. For example, why didn't you just strangle that spotted fawn, instead of trying to blow its head off, cowboy-style. :tooth:
    bisley wrote: »
    Don't let that hold you back - anyone is likely to be given a 'hard time' over anything. For example, why didn't you just strangle that spotted fawn, instead of trying to blow its head off, cowboy-style. :tooth:

:roll2:
    If I had been quicker in realising it was a deer ( I thought the noise was a hog rooting around the base of the plant) I would have been tempted to drop the rifle and leap on it with the griptillian............
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Going back this weekend with Bloodhound......................I can see a hunting competition on the horizon...............

Akll I have to decide is what calibre to take.......

7mm08
    22-250
    Maybe I should blood the 10.75X68...........

You know my answer lol Besides no one would think twice about using a 45/70 with 350gr bullets on tiny deer, what is the difference using a smaller diameter 347gr bullet of similar construction and velocity?? A 400gr DG bullet ahead of about 25gr's more powder is quite the difference between what you have there lol
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.