Home Main Category Clubhouse

Old Forum Quotes.

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Basically what the title says......I have a few from a few people and a lot from one person (where the hell is Bigslug, anyway)......the first one that gets posted is of course Mike's bucket story.

I'll add more later......feel free to add your own.

Linefinder wrote:
Got up at 4 am to see what p'dogs do at daylight. Drank a pot of coffee while waking up and driving to the dogtown. 35 degrees and 20 mph winds mean the 'dogs don't do nothin' at daylight.By 7:30 to say the coffee was wanting to go thru me like stuff thru a goose would be putting it mildly. This country is flat...no trees, no stumps....the highest physical feature would be the center-stripe on the state highway a few miles away toward the horizon. And it's way too cold to be baring it all over the edge of the truck bed. No problem, Mike remembers he has a 5 gallon plastic bucket "the kind sheet-rock mud comes in" in the back of the truck, and some nice soft aloe impregnated toilet paper in the tool box. The bucket and paper suffice quite nicely. Mikes world is going extremely well at this point. Not wanting to empty the bucket on the kind ranchers pasture "duh....cowpatties galore, I'm gonna have to try to figure out my logic here", I put it in the back of the truck to dispose of at a better time and locale.About an hour later, the first p'dog shows up, and I knew he was close, but I zapped him with the rangefinder anyway. 147 yard chip shot...didn't even have to take the wind into account.I remember thinking as I snuggled into the sand bags what in the heck would make a p'dog want to commit suicide so early in the morning.At the shot, the stuff hit the fan, so to speak. I guess the muzzle of the 26" tube on my 6mm was directly over the open bucket in the back of the truck. The muzzle blast vaporized the contents, and red parts of the prairie dog weren't the only matter to come raining down. Yep....me, my truck, my rifles, and even one of my open ammo cans got a brown shower. Fortunately, the only thing remotely recognizable was a few clots of toilet paper. The p'dog fared much worse than I.

I think there's a lesson here somewhere. If ya'all figure it out, please let me know!

If I've offended anyone with this tale, I guess I'll have to find out later...I've gotta go get a shower....

Mike

God, It's good to be home!!!

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    I HAVE RETURNED!

(But if you think I'm coming in with a corncob pipe and aviator shades, you're gonna be disappointed)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,516 Senior Member
    Damn....I thought this was my chance to get a fresh start.......:fan:
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I like the smiley.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Bigslug, it is great to "hear" your voice again!

Man, I'm glad that eli saved that!
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I HAVE RETURNED!

WOOHOO!!!

My man crush......errrr, buddy is back.......good to see that you're still kickin Big.
    And just to celebrate.....here's a few out of my archive.

Bigslug wrote:
    You have to think of a combat shotgun in much the same way you think of a fire extinguisher - it is EXTREMELY good at the task for which it was designed, and somewhat less so at anything else. You can grind corn into meal by rolling a fire extinguisher across it - but it's not as good as a mortar and pestle. You can bludgeon somebody to death with a fire extinguisher - but it's not as good as a 1" dowel or Louisville Slugger. But if you want to put out a fire, there's really nothing to compare with that little red can full of Co2. Similarly, you can't reach out 300 yards with a shotgun, nor can you conceal it in your undies, but if you want to make bad things inside of 25 yards go away quickly, there really is no substitute.

Bigslug wrote:
    Uncle Sam bought over TWO MILLION 1911's between 1912 and 1945. These guns were bought as cheaply as the government could get them for. Sandblasted, Parkerized, and with tolerances that, while not AK-47 loose, were not Les Baer tight, either. Even after 60 years of use, a lot of these guns shoot better than most people can shoot them, and as far as I know, there was NEVER a documented case of one failing in combat - NOT ONE!
    So we need to drop a month's wages on a service pistol. . . . . . . .why?
    It's my opinion that many customers have fallen into the trap of thinking that since Bullseye 1911's and combat 1911's look more or less the same, they should expect both to have the same attributes. The good side of this is that, after 20-plus years of tinkering, we have developed (ahem) "combat" pistols that are now FOUR TIMES more accurate than most people can shoot them instead of merely TWICE as accurate as most people can shoot them.
    So what we have is guns being marketed to a lot of people that are lured in by the flash and trash of a Lincoln Navigator, but who have totally forgotten that the purpose of such a vehicle is to be dragged through the mud.

Bigslug wrote:
    The only thing you're really getting in going to a .45 over a 9mm these days is a couple tenths of an inch in final expanded diameter.
    The only thing you're getting in choosing a .40 S&W over a 9mm is recoil - the average penetration and expansion are so close as to make zero difference in the terminal effect.
    The only thing you're getting in choosing a .357 Sig over a 9mm is recoil. . .and a slightly flatter trajectory, which seems to matter to some people on their short range defensive equipment, for reasons I've never been able to fathom.
    These days, the ammo is E-N-G-I-N-E-E-R-E-D to perform to the FBI's analysis of what a defensive bullet is supposed to do. There really isn't much to choose between what the rounds actually DO when they hit people. Not anymore.
    So here's my conclusions:
    1. If you CAN shoot a .45 well. . .If you're one of the guys who takes his training and equipment seriously. . .It is an outstanding choice. It is possible (if not massively so) that your .85"-.95" expanded bullet will be more effective in making your adversary leak out faster than an equally well-placed 9mm's .6-.7". In short, it's a lightsaber for the Jedi who has made significant effort to perfect his craft - delivering not just overwhelming force, but delivering it precisely.
    2. We need to keep in mind that the vast majority of people who carry or use pistols ARE NOT the people described above. They do not live at the range, and they do not have a garage full of Guns & Ammo back-issues. They shoot casually, when mandated by agency regs, or when their conscience dictates, but it is not a major component of their lives. While the .45 might open up a little more, the tiny bit of expansion gained is NOTHING when compared to the accuracy lost when one of these average shooters is given a cartridge they have not really been trained to control properly.
    I'm a big .45 fan, but mainly because it comes in the GUN I like and shoot very well (1911A1), rather than any attribute the round itself possesses. I regard the .40 and .357 Sig as high-pressure abusers of equipment and second-tier shooters that gain you nothing in terms of the desired end-result - in short, colossal wastes of time and money. The current 9mm rounds do what the FBI says they need to do, and the results from the street in the last 17 years since they handed down that opinion seem to indicate they are right. More importantly to the topic of this thread, it is doing exactly the same thing as everything else, and giving it to us in a package that does not rapidly wear out either guns or the less-than-dedicated folks who might be shooting them. If I have to give a random individual a pistol and expect them to be capable of taking care of business with it, I want that pistol to be a 9mm.
  • DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Are you going to repost the whole Winchester Vs Marlin thread too?
    Nope, I don't think I ever even posted on the original.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Is there a chance of getting back some of the posts and guidance passed down from some of our departed friends? There was a whole lot of information shared by a few that have moved on to the land where ammo cans and magazines are always full.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Maybe I should just point Eli towards the topics I've already answered and have him respond with the appropriate quote. Might save me from carpal tunnel surgery some day. I'm all blushy and stuff.
    WWJMBD?

DeanC wrote: »
    Are you going to repost the whole Winchester Vs Marlin thread too?

Dean. . .for bringing that up, I think you may be required to ritually disembowel yourself at dawn. . .
    WWJMBD?

• DeanCDeanC Member Posts: 156 Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Dean. . .for bringing that up, I think you may be required to ritually disembowel yourself at dawn. . .
    I already do that on a daily basis, but I don't think that's what you meant.