Home Main Category Hunting

Gold Dot Short Barrel or Gold Sabres in 45 ACP for Whitetail

blkbird305blkbird305 MemberPosts: 220 Member
Im probably over thinking this as always but I would like yalls opinion.

I plan to take a deer (most likely a doe) this year with my Glock 30 with a 4 inch aftermarket barrel. Range will be from dang close to around 30 feet and it will be from a ground blind.

The two factory loads that I have on hand are the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel (this is my carry load since the factory barrel is around 3.5" and the pistol loves them) and the Remington Gold Sabre. Both loads are 230 gr in weight and both loads shoot very well from the pistol.

My thoughts are that I would like to test the Gold Dot to see what it will do (since it is my carry load), but since the Gold Dot Short Barrel is a bullet of softer construction (designed to open at lower velocities) that it may cause a nasty hole in and the bullet fall apart from impact (superficial wound) since it will be coming out of a 4" barrel.

Do yall think the Gold Dot Short Barrel will do the job cleanly and quickly or do yall think I should just play it safe a run the Gold Sabres for my hunting load?

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Out to 30 feet; go for it.
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 220 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If you dont trust it on a deer, then you dang sure shouldnt trust it on two legged targets.

Its not that I dont trust it, I just want to make the most ethical kill I can on a deer. For bad guys, Im not too worried about ethics, more to the order of front sight post and bang bang.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    blkbird305 wrote: »
    Its not that I dont trust it, I just want to make the most ethical kill I can on a deer. For bad guys, Im not too worried about ethics, more to the order of front sight post and bang bang.

I very much admire your ethics and respect for the animal. But DRT is a crap shoot by any measure. I've killed deer all kinds of ways and seems like it's often very different. My lone handgun kill was with a .45LC, hot loaded. The deer was running at a later paced 85 steps. I hit it a little back and high but it was DRT. Conversely I once shot a small doe at about 100 yards, (guessing here), with a .300 Win Mag. It too was running in the brush but I hit her right in the boiler room. That little thing ran at least 100 yards. The blood trail looked like someone was carrying a 5 gallon bucket full of blood with a big hole in the bottom.
    So, IMHO, either one of the bullets and distance you've described in your scenario should work just fine if you do your part. If it ends up DRT or runs off a piece it's still better than a slow death from mean ol' Mother Nature. Or a slightly shorter one by being pulled down by a pack of coyotes whereby they start eating her paunch first before her living eyes.

My $.02 adjusted for inflation in Obama dollars.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Seems to work for Uncle Ted.... Isn't his hunting round of choice a 10mm?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Isn't his hunting round of choice a 10mm?

Yup! I thought about doing it with the 10mm, but I really want to use the 45. I may try the 10mm next.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,145 Senior Member
    I killed a whitetail at that range with my 1911 loaded with a 230 grain Hydra Shok...put it in his boiler room, he jumped, took a few steps and fell over dead...your results may vary...
    Actually the one I shot at ten feet out the back door of my blind went further before piling up....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    If you can, I'd run 'em both across a chrono. Might be interesting. Either way, I'd probably opt for the best performer.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I got one once with a 9x23 Winchester shooting 125gr Winchester Silvertips.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    blkbird305 wrote: »
    Yup! I thought about doing it with the 10mm, but I really want to use the 45. I may try the 10mm next.
    Don't use the 10mm, as long as the .45acp is not +P, good SD 10mm such as
    Hornady is a higher performer than the .45; so if you do, you still will not know how the
    .45 would have worked.

I base my comment on shooting inanimate stuff not animals.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    It's all in the adrenaline. A running hard to or from a fight animal can keep going even with the boiler room flooded with blood after taking a hit. I heard tell, from a person I trust, of an elk bull called in spoiling for a fight, taking a 7mm Winn Mag in the chest, running away and being CALLED BACK. An unaware Cape Buffalo might go down like he was hit by dynamite where an excited one would have to be hit by sustained volley fire suitable for that battle at Rorke's Drift. Bad guy same same. If he breaks in yelling and ready to fight you might have to weigh him down with a lot of heavy metal to stop the threat because his, not working to well in the first place, brain is flooded with natural and artificial chemical enhancements. If he is just going quietly about his, illegal, business of burglary or sneak rape, he might be satisfied by a single well placed 22 LR.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    So therefore, I believe a gun and caliber that is adequate for a human will take a doe walking sedately through Bambi's realm quite well. If the animal is runnin and gunnin then not. With SD, the primary market for your chosen weapon, I don't care if the target is killed humanely just that the threat is stopped. What will your preferred bullet placement be? I think it might also be an interesting worst case survival exercise.
    NN wrote: »
    Don't use the 10mm, as long as the .45acp is not +P, good SD 10mm such as
    Hornady is a higher performer than the .45; so if you do, you still will not know how the
    .45 would have worked.

I base my comment on shooting inanimate stuff not animals.

I agree, I just want to take a deer with the 10mm too.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    With SD, the primary market for your chosen weapon, I don't care if the target is killed humanely just that the threat is stopped.
    Totally agree.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    What will your preferred bullet placement be? I think it might also be an interesting worst case survival exercise.
    Preferred bullet placement will be the heart with some double lung mixed in.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    This months American Rifleman lists the 230 gr Golden Sabre delivering 16 inches of penetration in ballistic gel and expansion of a factor of 1.44. The Gold Dot was not tested.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Funny one of my first posts here was about using my Kimber .45 for taking a doe from a ground blind at just a few yards. I was tarred, feathered and then roasted at the stake :tooth:

I never carried on the experiment but I think just about any defensive load should do the trick if you put it where it's supposed to go. I for one will cheer you on!!!

Also put me down for the cheering section on that. I think at close range, like bow hunting range, a 45 could be more than adequate and probably just down right deadly on deer. With a 230 grain bullet at inside 30-40 yards that thing will make a right nice size hole in Mr. or Mrs. Deer. Like wambli said, shot placement is important. It's not something you could hit it in the big toe with and kill it. But shot placement is pretty much important with any gun.

Something I forgot about, when I hunt lately, I've been carrying my 1911 with me. I have it for a finishing shot to put the animal out of misery, but heck if the situation arises I might just pop Mr. Bambi with it instead of the rifle.

But my plan for hunting with the 45 would be to fix a tree stand and do all the BS a bow hunter does to get Mr. Bambi under me, you know, camo make up, clothes, scent blocker, the works, just as if I were bow hunting. That would be ultra cool to kill a deer like that.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Seems to work for Uncle Ted.... Isn't his hunting round of choice a 10mm?

Yeah and I have no doubt it will work fine and be plenty ethical. However, you know that Uncle Ted is the Chuch Norris of deer hunters......:rotflmao::cool2::rotflmao:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!