What do your dove numbers look like?

2»

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Another interesting bit of info on doves.....average life span is 13 to14 months. Mortality in young doves is extremely high, and I'm not aware of any bird that builds a nest as sorry and shoddy as a dove.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,607 Senior Member
    Just returned from my annual 500 mile trek to the prairie for doves, and I can report that the dove population is doing quite well.

Fourteen of us limited out and put no discernible dent in the population. Even with intermittent heavy rain for two of the three hunting days, we all managed to limit out...at the cost of only about $7.00 per bird :tooth:.

On the one really good day, I got my limit in about an hour, plus several ringnecks (collared doves?), that are not considered game birds, and can be taken without counting against your limit. They are larger and harder to kill, but taste about the same. The other days were screwed up by rain, and we all had to work hard for every one we got.

If it wasn't so much fun, I could just buy a case of rib-eyes and grill one every day for a month, at home. :tooth:
2»