Home Main Category Hunting

A Buzzer

justin10mmjustin10mm Senior MemberPosts: 688 Senior Member
0034_zpsf1dc676b.jpg

So late this afternoon I'm out taking a walk down a two track ranch road plinking at cactus on either side of the road with my new .22 conversion for my Glock 20. Its about 20 minutes before dark and I've got ear plugs in, I'll take a couple shots and then walk to the next suitable cactus and take a couple more shots.
I stop and take a shot and then through the ear plugs I hear bzzzzzzz...bzzzzzzz...bzzzzzzz! I take a couple steps back and start looking for the sound. About 20 feet up the road I see this sucker rise up about 6 inches above the grass coiled in a striking pose bobbing back and forth . He was really ticked off! There were only a couple rounds left in the gun and I completely missed him at that range.
Now he starts crossing the road heading towards some tall weeds and brush while I'm fumbling to get some shells out of my pocket, I just managed to get two into the mag as he is crawling up into a small cactus patch, so I get up as close as I dare and put a shot into his head. Then I drug him out with a stick and finished him off.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    Don't shoot it unless you are going to eat it or it is going to kill you, hope you had some snake hordourves yonight.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - -sounds like a "teachable moment"- - - -Get a spare magazine!
    Jerry
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Rattler is actually pretty danged good table fare.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Why shoot it? He was going on his way.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Why shoot it? He was going on his way.

Cause he may not bite you today but tomorrow he might.(not an option now)
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Fived it for you Luis. Too bony, not enough meat for the amount of bones, and the last I has was only slightly more tender than shoe leather :vomit:

I'm pretty sure the last part was due to being overcooked (fried) but it did NOT leave me craving more
    I had mine at a couple of different restaurants, both times fried as an appetizer. Aside from being a bit rubbery, sort of like gator, I found the flavor light and tasty. I could see the bones being an issue if I had to prep it myself, but the dumplings I had came de-boned for me, so no problem there. :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Aside from being a bit rubbery, sort of like gator,

Watch it bub:nono:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Am I the only one who's noticed that if you handle a rattlesnake it leaves a really bad stink on your hands that you can't wash off? Even worse than cottonmouth.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Nope. You're not the only one. They have musk glands. If you cut the glands when skinning it, you'll ruin the meat.
    I'm just here for snark.