Home Main Category Personal Defense

Barrel length vs usable barrel length

2»

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I look at it as being a situation where I will need to hit what I'm trying to aim at, at whatever range. Practicing at 5 or 7 yards doesn't make me good at 10 or 15, but practicing at 10 or 15 does make me better at 5-7.

I have several guns that I used to carry and I've come to favor my 2" .44 special bulldog. I practice quite a bit with it and can hit a 6" plate more often than not at 25yds. Anything farther than that and I won't consider it an iminent threat and may have other options. I own higher capacity and longer guns but I feel the best carry piece is one that you will carry. Most of my other handguns are bigger and heavier and aren't as easy to carry or conceal dressed as lightly as I usually am. I lean towards quality rather than quantity.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    All I know is that if some tool starts shooting at me from 100 yards or so and all I have is my handgun I aint going to just stand there, I am going to start putting some lead down range on him while I either maneuver the flock away or maneuver on his position for a better shot.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    All I know is that if some tool starts shooting at me from 100 yards or so and all I have is my handgun I aint going to just stand there, I am going to start putting some lead down range on him while I either maneuver the flock away or maneuver on his position for a better shot.

Is this TOOL shooting at you with a rifle or handgun, how good are you at keeping your rounds where you mean to at 100 yards?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Is this TOOL shooting at you with a rifle or handgun, how good are you at keeping your rounds where you mean to at 100 yards?

What difference does it make what he is using to shoot at you. Bottom line, you are being shot at.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    What difference does it make what he is using to shoot at you. Bottom line, you are being shot at.

If someone is shooting at me with a rifle at 100yds and I'm armed with a handgun, I'll be looking for an escape route rather than going toe to toe as many of you highly skilled pistolero's would.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    Doc, I definitely agree it's important to know what type of velocity a given load gets from your specific gun. I do like that there's now "short barrel loadings out in 9mm and .38 special.

I've actually found more and more than I need a very compact handgun in order to conceal it going about my normal activities--a J-frame or a PPK works well in the warmer months. I load both with the heaviest ammo I can find (Buffalo Bore).