Pretty good article on "modern" gun culture.

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,070 Senior Member

Replies

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Interesting article. I for one am glad more young people are taking and interest in our hobby. There's always room for more responsible and knowledgable people no matter what age.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    You know, they always throw out the stats of how many guns are being sold. I'd like to see the numbers on how many more tax stamps are being bought. How many more SBR's, AOW's and suppressor's are being sold now......

Oldest stepson (18) had some friends over, and they were talking about guns (playing a first person shooter on PS3). They thought they couldn't have suppressors. I explained the basics of the tax stamp....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Pretty good article. That girl hasn't got any space left on her body for anymore tatoo's!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway here is a good written little piece by the A & E group who produces the series Tales of the Gun. I got one series of these on VHS tape I got a few years back for Christmas. I don't know who it was exactly that wrote this but I borrowed it off YouTube:
    "The gun has played a critical role in History. An invention which has been praised and denounced...Served Hero and Villain alike..and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the Gun is to Better understand History."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZInsHI-TnA
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,726 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    You know, they always throw out the stats of how many guns are being sold. I'd like to see the numbers on how many more tax stamps are being bought. How many more SBR's, AOW's and suppressor's are being sold now......

Oldest stepson (18) had some friends over, and they were talking about guns (playing a first person shooter on PS3). They thought they couldn't have suppressors. I explained the basics of the tax stamp....
    ATF has some graphs for the NFA stuff...

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/
    Overkill is underrated.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    Interesting opinion article, and I agree, though the internet wasn't the start, the original assault weapons ban was. When we saw the lamestream press LIE, blatently and proudly about firearms, that is when the activist started to come out. I don't know if I coined the term Fudd for "hunter only give rights away as long as I can shoot deer" types, but I used that term 30 years ago. 25 years ago target and competition shooting surpassed hunting as the #1 recreational use of firearms. Comes with affluence.
    For a long time firearms were a means to subsist. You went out with 5 22lrs and you should be bringing back 5 squirrles ect.. When you dont need to scrimp and save for ammo or food for that matter, it opens up a whole new world of seeking the sub MOA rifle and throwing 200 downrange in a afternoon for no good reason.

To bad about the pic, looked like she was pretty once.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    ATF has some graphs for the NFA stuff...

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/

They have them all lumped together, but basically rose 250% in 6 years.......

nfa-forms-processed-300x220.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,100 Senior Member
    On thing I can say with confidence is that Obama and his crew have done MORE for gun ownership in this country than all other Presidents COMBINED!!! :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,085 Senior Member
    When I started showing up here and on the range around 7-8 years or so ago I felt almost like an outlier...not so much anymore. I seem to see a much more diverse crowd (ethnically, economically, age, and political affiliation) at the range, LGS, or gun shows these days. A very good IMHO thing for the future of our sport!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    I wish people would stop picking on poor old Elmer Fudd.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,323 Senior Member
    Back during the Clinton administration when the DOJ started making noises about banning or restricting 'sniper rifles', a.k.a. bolt action rifles with scopes, a lot of the Fudds finally got their heads out of their alimentary canal termini and saw that they had a LOT of skin in the game. And lots of people went out and bought their first rifle, shotgun, or pistol, and a pile of ammunition for it. Lot of folks bought as an investment, but a lot of others got to shooting, and to their horror, found that it was a LOT of fun, and got into the shooting sports.

Lots of women are getting into shooting as HD and CCW. Good for them; once they train and learn, they have no reason to be afraid of things that go bump in the night, or day for that matter. Lots more women into hunting and the shooting sports now, and that's a good thing.

Government hasn't learned an old lesson about power; an open hand can hold a lot of sand, but the tighter you squeeze it the more that slips through your fingers.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    bhl2506 wrote: »
    . I for one am glad more young people are taking and interest in our hobby. .

Hobby????? :uhm: ....collecting stamps is a hobby...guns are different.....Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,070 Senior Member
    That girl hasn't got any space left on her body for anymore tatoo's!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, she's still got a bit of space on her back, and on the backs of her arms.

:tooth:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Don't worry, she's still got a bit of space on her back, and on the backs of her arms.

:tooth:

Good observation Eli, I didn't even notice that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW I ain't really worried about it, wondering maybe, but not worrying:applause::rotflmao:

tennmike wrote:
    Back during the Clinton administration when the DOJ started making noises about banning or restricting 'sniper rifles', a.k.a. bolt action rifles with scopes, a lot of the Fudds finally got their heads out of their alimentary canal termini and saw that they had a LOT of skin in the game.

I recall those days and also remember the run on everything related to guns and ammo, reloading equipment, etc. It's was getting extremely hard to find stuff. BTW tennmike; The reason God created glass belly buttons, is so when folks get their head up their butt, they can see where there going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotflmao:

Wambli Ska wrote:
    On thing I can say with confidence is that Obama and his crew have done MORE for gun ownership in this country than all other Presidents COMBINED!!!
    He has the Clinton gun sale beat by a country mile.:guns::that:
    "It is what it is":usa: