Home Main Category Personal Defense

CQB Sights for AR-15

SicSemperSicSemper New MemberPosts: 16 New Member
Hey everyone first post on this forum so give me a little room if need be.

Anyway, I got an AR-15 set up for HD but the only thing I'm missing is a CQB sight for faster target acquisition. Like this red dot sight I saw at the gun store today for $100. It's called the Konus Sight-Pro Atomic Red Dot; Here's a link to more info/ a pic http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=318955. Thanks for any tips on this product.

Replies

• LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    The only sights I would recommend are 1. Aimpoint and 2. Eotech. The Konus would be helpful in a pinch, but I would suggest using iron sights until you can afford a quality optic.

To me a huge drawback is the type of battery. I cannot see how that battery would last very long and it is not a type of battery that most folks have laying around.

Thats my $0.02 anyway.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    Lerchess wrote: »
    The only sights I would recommend are 1. Aimpoint and 2. Eotech. The Konus would be helpful in a pinch, but I would suggest using iron sights until you can afford a quality optic. Thats my $0.02 anyway.
    Concur.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I've used a Burris Fastfire for the last 3-4 years without a problem. Still on the original battery too. I'm sure it's not the same quality as an Eotech but at $200 it works for me.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    wddodge wrote: »
    I've used a Burris Fastfire for the last 3-4 years without a problem. Still on the original battery too. I'm sure it's not the same quality as an Eotech but at $200 it works for me.

Denny

I've never used that one but heard good things.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Any name brand should be sound. Stay away from a 49.99 dollar cheaper than dirt special, or anything from ebay that is marketed for airsoft guns.
    A good set of irons is a must for a sd gun. Batteries die, glass breaks, iron is strong.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,142 Senior Member

Denny

Same here. I have one on my AK, and it is very handy, and useful for that rifle.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Just like in the Leupold couterfeit scope thread you if sounds to good it probably is. If you want a fun toy maybe but if you are betting your life on it I like the Aimpoint or EOTech also. I am saving up right now for an Aimpoint Micro T-1 for my HD carbine. It's size and the fact you can leave it on for 3 or 4 years straight on 1 battery just sell it to me. Yes it costs but my family is worth it.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I've been happy with the latest Burris offerings. Seem like a quality compromise when price is a factor.

Hope you have some readily accessible hearing protection. Ever shot a .223 indoors without ears?
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    I've been happy with the latest Burris offerings. Seem like a quality compromise when price is a factor.

Hope you have some readily accessible hearing protection. Ever shot a .223 indoors without ears?

It don't matter if it's a 9mm, .45acp or .44mag pistol ... .22lr, .223 or .458win mag ... or 410 or 12 gauge ... indoors with no ears on is going to be loud. You may hear bells for a while but ... well atleast you'll hear something.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • HKChrisHKChris New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I picked up a Bushnell Holosight from Academy a while back that I put on my RRA AR-15 for CQB purposes. I've had it for about 10 years now and have only replaced the batteries twice (both times before they went dead).
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    I bought a Fastfire2 recently but haven't run it much.
    Once I use it for awhile, I will let you know.

Denny
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    I bought an Aimpoint Comp M2 on eBay and when it was shipped to me, the dot was on. I've been told that's standard practice with a lot of Aimpoint users.

I'm yet to shoot it, but if I do (may just sell it again) I'll let you know what I think of it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I'm yet to shoot it, but if I do (may just sell it again) I'll let you know what I think of it.
    Reason for selling it?
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I bought a Fastfire2 recently but haven't run it much.
    Once I use it for awhile, I will let you know.

Thanks. I've read a bit about them but haven't had a chance to talk to anybody that's used one yet.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • SicSemperSicSemper New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    Yes in a concrete enclose firing range; its less loud than a 9mm.
  • SicSemperSicSemper New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    What about Sightmark Reflex Sight.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Leupold 1.5-5x20 illuminated reticle. Faster than iron sights, very slightly slower than a red dot, but far more useful at longer ranges.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Right now it is on a 7" AR pistol, but will soon be on a Ruger 22/45 by next week.
    Thanks. I've read a bit about them but haven't had a chance to talk to anybody that's used one yet.

Denny
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    For home defense where you get up in the middle of the night all sleepy and dumb I go for irons, perhaps with tritium or an Aimpoint as you can leave those on and will run something like 4 years on a set of batteries, last thing I want is to have to remember to turn the thing on, then once I learn to use those properly a good addition is a flashlight, I like the flashlight/laser combo with a pressure switch you don't have to look for and one you check the batteries often.

The big advantage of the flashlight/laser combo is of course that with the flashlight you can identify what you got in front of you before pulling the trigger, you don't have to keep it on all the time and give away your position, that is what the pressure switch is on, for using it momentarily when it counts and the laser will alow you to shoot from cover in ways you will not be able ot do with iron sights.

I have a semiauto handgun next to bed with Truglo TFO sights on top and a flashlight laser combo on a rail, i am good to go with the irons right away as they are bright both in daylight and nightime and I have the laser and flashlight there.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".