Guns, guns, guns! I got me some new guns!

calebibcalebib Senior MemberPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
Well, two new to me guns and a facelift for a third.

The facelift was on my Churchill Highlander .300 Win Mag. The old stock developed a crack in the wrist and Numrich still had a couple stocks for this rifle on hand so I ordered one. What I got was a brand new, never installed stock made from a rather nice piece of wood and no finish applied. I decided to do a tung oil finish which came out nice, I still need to install sling swivels.
IMG_4565.JPG

The first new one is an old Remington 510 Target Master single shot .22lr. This gun has an interesting history, it was used at the Baltimore Zoo for rat and pigeon control for many years until my dad purchased it from the zoo in the early '80s. He gave it to me last weekend. It has the words "dust shot" carved into the stock to indicate the ammo to be used in it. It would have been great if it were a "Routledge" smooth bore but it's a standard Target Master. I still need to clean it up a bit and give it a trigger job then do some plinking.
IMG_4567.JPG

And the last one is the one I'm most excited about, it's a Winchester Model 12 20 gauge made in 1913. It's has a 2 9/16" chamber so I need to pick up some 2 1/2" shells for it. I bought it from a friend and I had not seen it in about a year before I picked it up today. I had recalled that the bore had some pitting but when I got it home I pulled the barrel off and the pitting is far less severe than I thought. The stock has a little water staining so I am going to clean that up a bit, polish the bore and give it a good once over but beyond that I am keeping it as is and I'm gonna hunt with this thing this fall! I've been wanting a nice, old 20 gauge for years so I'm very excited to finally have this in my collection.
IMG_4568.JPG

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Nice set of long guns.:applause: I really like the shotgun.

Also, you triple suck.:yousuck::yousuck::yousuck::roll2:
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    :agree: :yousuck:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    You think I suck now? Wait until you hear what I paid for the Winchester.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    The Highlander turned out to be a really nice looking rifle. Great looking stock.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I love the look on that 300Win Mag, boy that is one sharp looking rifle indeed:cool::worthy::that:
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    Good stuff Caleb! I'm still looking for a cheap 22LR bolt action and have been looking at some older Remington.

:beer: / Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    Old .22s are awesome and can often be had for cheap. You should check out some of the surplus .22 training rifles that are available.
    Check out the trainer on page 26... http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-1/index.html
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Question for you, Cale........

I have my Dad's Mod 12 in 16ga, made in 1921, and the plastic or bakelite buttplate is cracked and about 1/4th gone. Any idea where I could get a replacement for it?
    I have three of those. Send me an IM.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I really like the shotgun. Nice find.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Your .300 is looking good.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    They all look nice to me. The shotgun though really turns my crank. My dad had Remington's answer to it, the Model 31, which was the forrunner to the Model 870. But he left that to my nephew. He didn't leave me much because I had more guns than anybody in the family, but I did keep his German Mauser Pistol. But that Model 12 is just cool and it was to shot guns what the model 70 was to rifles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Hey nuttin wrong with them shootin irons! I'm digging the shotgun! :cool:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :worthy::beer: Hey Calebib I too have a Remington 510 target master single shot .22.. bought mine from a friend and shooting buddie back in 2000, Great little .22 very accurate easy to clean and maintain, etc. etc.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,536 Senior Member
    Lately I have been taking a liking to older firearms instead of NIB.
    Those are a couple of really nice finds and a great job in the facelift. You really do suck!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    God you suck so bad I felt the change in Barometric preassure in the NE. That stock on the .300 is beautiful!! And the .22 and shotgun are just great classic guns!

Your ears are about to start popping from the pressure change. I paid $165 for the Winchester.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    calebib wrote: »
    Your ears are about to start popping from the pressure change. I paid $165 for the Winchester.

I just thought :yousuck:--but $165? $165? $165!!!

Gotta hate you for a while, too.
    To make a long post short here, ...
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    $165.00....words fail me so...

BlackHole.jpg
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    Nice scores!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I just thought :yousuck:--but $165? $165? $165!!!

Gotta hate you for a while, too.

I kinda thought that's the response I'd get.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    And the last one is the one I'm most excited about, it's a Winchester Model 12 20 gauge made in 1913. It's has a 2 9/16" chamber so I need to pick up some 2 1/2" shells for it. I bought it from a friend and I had not seen it in about a year before I picked it up today. I had recalled that the bore had some pitting but when I got it home I pulled the barrel off and the pitting is far less severe than I thought. The stock has a little water staining so I am going to clean that up a bit, polish the bore and give it a good once over but beyond that I am keeping it as is and I'm gonna hunt with this thing this fall! I've been wanting a nice, old 20 gauge for years so I'm very excited to finally have this in my collection.
    IMG_4568.JPG

Bore pitting? you were worried about bore pitting in a 98 year old shot gun? $165??? Yes you absolutely suck!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Bore pitting? you were worried about bore pitting in a 98 year old shot gun? $165??? Yes you absolutely suck!

D

I was concerned that the pitting was too bad to safely shoot the gun. Thankfully, it's actually fairly minor and should not have any negative impact on the gun.