Home Main Category General Firearms

Sshhhh! I'm making little missiles

2»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    And if you get the cyl machined for Moonclips, you can shoot .45ACP

WRONG! That would destroy the headspace on the non-mooned ammo. Using .45 Auto Rim brass wouldn't even be an option, because the rim thickness wouldn't allow the cylinder to close. .45 Schofield brass, or NYG's .45 Cowboy brass would be an OK choice, I suppose. I'd just dwonload .45 Colt to Cowboy Action numbers it I wanted a mouse phart plinker round.
    Jerry
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,348 Senior Member
    The jump between the 45 Colt case mouth and the throats on the 460 is already too much, as far as I'm concerned. And 45 Colt can be loaded down with Trail Boss to make loads so mild, I've litterally been able to see 250-255 grain lead bullets fly to the target. No need to load any lighther than that.

Now, I still have a few of your 300 grain gas checked, hard cast bullets. If I can find a safe load for it, I'd seat some of them on 460 cases and see what I can get.....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've gotten that alloy up to a little over 2,000 FPS in a couple of .30 caliber rifles by using a gas check, and haven't gotten any noticeable leading. I'd consider 2K a pretty good maximum to try for. That big meplat should do a lot of tissue damage at that speed, though!
    Jerry
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,348 Senior Member
    Cool. I knew you had QL and figured you might have played with it some, but it's still anybody's guess until the chronograph speaks. I had a feeling it was going to be low, but I guess I was being optimistic. I guess 2150 FPS range with a 200 grain bullet from a revolver isn't anything to sneeze at, either.