Home Main Category General Firearms

Question for gunsmiths re 10/22

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,364 Senior Member
Took my 10/22 up to Bloodhounds place yesterday to do some plinking and help him with loading some steers for the market.

Had it on the front of the quad in a padded soft case.After putting about 50rds through it we got called away to do a rescue mission. Later we saw a peacock wandering around and when I pulled the rifle out of its case I found the scope was loose..........the rear screw on the rail was out of its hole. It looks like the screw was tightened up too tight as the thread is stripped.

What is the best way to fix it..............a helicoil............get the receiver re-drilled and tapped........

Am open to suggestions.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If it were mine, I'd get the receiver drilled and tapped for 8-40 screws. Have to drill the holes in the mount to accept the larger screws, and reduce the head diameter on the screws.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    If it was mine, I'd give it to someone like Mike to fix. IMHO it is best to retap, and then use some blue lock tight on it when you remount. That gun doesn't have big recoil, so just reasonably finger tight with lock tight should do it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,495 Senior Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'd also suggest going to an 8-40 screw on all the mount positions if that's possible. I'll be glad to put a drill bit and a tap and some screws in the mail to you if they're hard to find down under. Got any pics of the problem area?
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    No pics but when I undid the scope, one of the screws fell out and had what looked like a helicoil attached to it. Closer inspection showed that it was the aluminium thread from the hole in the top of the receiver.

The rifle did receive a heck of a thump when I crashed into a log with the quad bike................Going to make another rifle rack for the bike, I broke the last one when I rolled the quad on top of me a while ago.....

I will head down to my local engineering shop and pick up a T & D set and a couple of screws............
    You'll find that gunsmithing taps are special-order items. Normal machine screw thread pitches are 6-32, 8-32, and 10-24 and 10-32, etc. Most scopes mount with what's called "National extra-fine" threads, either 6-48 or 8-40. Since the holes in a receiver are also usually "blind", you'll need a bottoming tap that cuts full-diameter threads all the way to the bottom of the hole, after starting the thread with a "plug" tap. Good luck!
    Jerry
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Since the holes in a receiver are also usually "blind", you'll need a bottoming tap that cuts full-diameter threads all the way to the bottom of the hole, after starting the thread with a "plug" tap. Good luck!
    Jerry

Yup. Use lots of oil, and constantly back out to clean the threads.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Scope base holes in the 10-22 go completely through top of receiver, but you'll need to remove the bolt and barrel to do the drill and tap job. And you definitely want the 8-40 national extra fine threads; the 8-32 won't hold well at all. Jerry has already offered to send the stuff to get 'r' done so no excuses my more southern brother. :up: A little locktite on the new screws when installed and all will be good.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

The rifle did receive a heck of a thump when I crashed into a log with the quad bike................Going to make another rifle rack for the bike, I broke the last one when I rolled the quad on top of me a while ago.....

You might want to get something with a roll cage.:tooth:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    You might want to get something with a roll cage.:tooth:

:agree:

Will do when I grow up.....or reach 60, whichever comes first.The latter will happen in 15mths give or take a few.............the former, I am not sure about. :roll2:
    Just a young whippersnapper!
    Jerry
    I don't trust the gun racks for ATVs. My ATV has finally turned up it's toes. But when I carried a rifle on it, it was in a hard case strapped to the rear rack. The hard case was like a Timex watch; it took several lickins' and kept on tickin' with no harm to the rifles it carried.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    It sounds like the screw did not strip, but the aluminum receiver failed. The impact was too much for it and something had to give.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If this is a working rifle and expected to take abuse I would strip the rather fragile Ruger finish off the aluminum receiver and screw/epoxy a weaver rail on to it and then refinish the receiver and barrel with CeraKote or something similar.

Yep, it is a working rifle. I bought it for my pest destruction duties as I got tired of the B/A 5 shot magazine and having to change them every few seconds. Good idea Wambli......
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    If it were mine, I'd get the receiver drilled and tapped for 8-40 screws. Have to drill the holes in the mount to accept the larger screws, and reduce the head diameter on the screws.

:up:
    I can do that, and get it on the way down under. Got my snail mail stashed away anywhere?
    Jerry