Home Main Category Hunting

Shared learning experience / Muzzloader

Mr BreezeMr Breeze New MemberPosts: 8 New Member
This is a little embarrasing for a guy crowding 60 but feel if it can happen to me its worth sharing. Though i've hunted BP for several yrs on/off I haven't really shot alot. My primitive T/C's are always dead on so its been a matter of just taking a few shots to refresh the process. My 50 cal Hawkins was stolen last yr so for Xmas the wife and boys got me a 56 cal from a freind of a friend of hers in work.

It should've tipped me off when I saw the corrosion around the nipple but I assumed the gun would be sold ready to fire and the nipple/barrel looked clean. I've been working a lot of OT because we're short handed so it has been hard to find time to shoot and as any smoke pole shooter knows it is a time consuming shooting sport.

Long story short it wasn't ready. I thought I had checked the nipple, wondering if it was clogged from after nipple exit. In hindsight, maybe could have shot some air thru it before. It looked clear but after loading and running a couple caps thru, it was off to the pull rod / take down bench and hot water / soap bucket. Needless to say it was not clean.

Lesson (though I can see/feel my ignorance now) , always clean a primitive BP gun especially when bought private sale.

Good news is I shot my 1st round thru it last wknd, off hand 35 yds and hit 4" to left of center on a 4" bull. Elevation 1" high. Very happy, hardly any kick like the 50 cal and lays real nice on target I think better than the 50 which is very nice.

Replies