What distance do you zero you sd/hd carbine for?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,744 Senior Member
I'm changing the ammo out in my HD carbine and am going to make sure it hits POA @ 100.
With its 2" offset, I know I'll be a little low at "normal" HD ranges, but I'd rather have that instead of being dead on at HD ranges and "stupidly high" as the range increases. I prefer knowing that my bullet will be within 2" of my POA out to well past the distances you expect to need a sd weapon.
So, what range do you want your SD carbine hitting POA???

SD carbine sight in distance? 24 votes

10 yards
0%
25 yards
29%
BPsniper45erEliDiver43wolf049bruchigator 7 votes
50 yards
33%
wddodgebobbyrlf3alphasigmookieBigslugtimcHKChrisWheelgunnerDes52 8 votes
75 yards
4%
glockman0422 1 vote
100 yards
33%
NCFUBARknitepoetSirGeorgeKillianJKPericbcaryshotgunshooter3Jayhawker 8 votes
"Other" (please specify
0%
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    100 yards
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'm changing the ammo out in my HD carbine and am going to make sure it hits POA @ 100.
    With its 2" offset, I know I'll be a little low at "normal" HD ranges, but I'd rather have that instead of being dead on at HD ranges and "stupidly high" as the range increases. I prefer knowing that my bullet will be within 2" of my POA out to well past the distances you expect to need a sd weapon.
    So, what range do you want your SD carbine hitting POA???

I think it ultimately depends on the weapon's cartridge as well as the geographic area of the residence. An urban or suburban location as well as a carbine chambered for a "handgun" cartridge would not justify a 100 yard zero. If the weapon serves double duty as a farm-ranch-truck gun or if the home is in a rural area I would definitely recommend a 100 yard zero. The 100 yard range zero would also be justified if the weapon is chambered for a high velocity rifle cartridge such as a .223 or .308, et al. Most typical rifle cartridges don't deviate more than +/- 2" above or below the line of sight between zero and 100 yards anyway.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    100 yards
    I had my .223 zeroed for 50 yards while I was living in an urban environment and doing CQC comps....since I've moved out west I changed it to 100 yards to make it more useful for varmints out in the pasture...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 995 Senior Member
    50 yards
    I have my AR zero'd for 50 yds. I figure for a SD rifle around the house and barns the range isn't going to be that far. If the threat is out at 100 yds I figure it's going away and I probably shouldn't be shooting it.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    25 yards
    I voted 25 yards, but I actually zeroed it for 1" low at 25 yards. So it might actually be closer to a 50 yard zero. Don't know.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member
    50 yards
    I've got more than a little experience in this area. We zero our department patrol rifles at 100Y, which works out to a roughly 2" holdover at 15 yards, and about 1.25" at 25 yards (individual results may vary slightly) . At household distances, just use the full mechanical offset of 2.5" and you're golden.

My own gun has the military Matech rear sight, which has an elevation cam that takes it from 200 to 600 meters, so I've set up the gun to take advantage of that. A 50M zero also puts you dead on at 200M, but only about 1.5" high at 100. This zero is my preferred method because you can hold center mass for 300 yards and reliably take care of business.

The military battle sight zero is (or at least was before the events spawned by 9/11) a 25/300M zero. This is fine for center mass work to 500M, but not so great for urban settings as it will tend to steer you toward the "stupid high" end of the scale.

When I first got the Matech, I played around with figuring out which sight setting worked to get closest to point of aim at the common CQB distances, but I ultimately decided that a 2.5" or less hold off was nothing I needed to stress over. Remember that this is an unstable bullet that's designed to "tumble and roll and dig a big hole". Cavitation is going to solve a lot of your issues at HD ranges.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    100 yards
    I have mine zeroed at 100 yards. At any distance in my house that should be around an inch or two off, which when aiming center of mass, I feel will do the job well.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    25 yards
    Missed the "carbine" part so voted 25 yards thinking sidearm was meant, carbine is set at 100 yards a few inches low at closer ranges will do but the farther out the closer I want POA and POI to be.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • HKChrisHKChris New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    50 yards
    My vote was for 50. That's where my RRA AR is sighted in. Although I'm going to pull out a couple of my new marlins and zero for 100 yds